Man robbed at baseball bat point

This is a discussion on Man robbed at baseball bat point within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At the bar I work at a man was robbed by two or three people, stories vary with a baseball bat. Dragged from his car ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Man robbed at baseball bat point

At the bar I work at a man was robbed by two or three people, stories vary with a baseball bat. Dragged from his car he was beaten, hit several
    times in the head by one man and searched and robbed by another or two. I did not see it unfortunately, but knowing that I was at work I would have drawn on all of them. One guy I can take H2H, two maybe but not 3 wherein one has a weapon, seemingly innocuous bat or not.

Baseball bat = automatic disparity of force correct? Can I meet that with a .45 if an advance is made?

VIP Member
    Baseball bat = lethal force. You're still gonna have to prove it in court, but I'm not letting anybody put a wood shampoo on me.

The question is, do you know why they're putting the hurt on the guy? Are you really willing to stand in his defense and shoot someone over a drug deal that went bad?
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Excellent point WHEC724. Food for thought in a situation like that.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I stay away from bars! Come at me with a bat and your getting shot!
    afojc, mprp and RugerRon like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    exactly

He was known. He was a customer who was "sleeping" it off in his car.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ampinf View Post
    He was known. He was a customer who was "sleeping" it off in his car.
    I appreciate your desire to help. The court system will not likely embrace it so much. I'm not saying that you shouldn't help or step in, but at least do so in the full knowledge that you will be in court defending yourself. If the guy you shoot lives, he's probably going to be thinking about retaliation, and if he doesn't his family/buddies may be thinking about retaliation.

In this situation, I'd probably hollar out "Hey - I've called the cops", and proceed to do so. If they cease and run off, good. If they come after me, I'd lock myself in the bar. If they make it in through the door, their ass is mine.

This is a situation worth really thinking about; Who are you willing to step in and defend? For me, if it's a stranger, it would have to be a child that's in serious danger for me to blindly charge to the rescue. Anyone else, I'm going to apply some careful scrutiny. I personally don't have a huge problem with dirtbags taking each other out, and (since I'm not a cop) am inclined to let them do so.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I appreciate your desire to help. The court system will not likely embrace it so much. I'm not saying that you shouldn't help or step in, but at least do so in the full knowledge that you will be in court defending yourself. If the guy you shoot lives, he's probably going to be thinking about retaliation, and if he doesn't his family/buddies may be thinking about retaliation.

In this situation, I'd probably hollar out "Hey - I've called the cops", and proceed to do so. If they cease and run off, good. If they come after me, I'd lock myself in the bar. If they make it in through the door, their ass is mine.

Just my $0.02 worth.

This is a situation worth really thinking about; Who are you willing to step in and defend? For me, if it's a stranger, it would have to be a child that's in serious danger for me to blindly charge to the rescue. Anyone else, I'm going to apply some careful scrutiny. I personally don't have a huge problem with dirtbags taking each other out, and (since I'm not a cop) am inclined to let them do so.
    Personal opinion, here, but if you haven't given considerable thought as to EXACTLY WHO you are willing to defend, with or without a firearm, you are running behind the count. If it is someone who you are willing to defend, you may waste precious time thinking about it in the moment of crisis. If it isn't, you may make a poor choice in the heat of the moment and regret it for years to come.

I have a short list of specific people, and an even shorter list of specific situations, where I will intervene physically. Otherwise, it is 911 and descriptions as detailed as I am able to provide.
    9MMare likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Yes indeed
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

VIP Member
    Thank God my bar days are long gone. More on point, if I observe a beat-down of any kind I would call 911 and report. It would take some very special circumstances (or emotions) for me to enter the contest.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

911 first and if the situation gets worse like the thugs beating the guy pretty good, draw, show em ya got it, tell em to get lost, and if they come at me, sorry for em.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I gotta ask...baseball point?

How about a medium-sized can of pepper spray to assist in such a situation?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Most thugs will run if they think they are made. Always have other options to your gun available. Remember, your gun is your last line of defense, not your first.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Baseball bats are like knives at close range; they rarely miss and they never run out of ammo. An attack on me or mine, I'm answering with deadly force.

As far as helping someone else in a situation that you've happened upon with a firearm? Think of all the things that can go wrong if you don't know 100% of the situation. As others have posted, expect to be considered the BG for a while anyway, if not forever if you actually only know 99%. I am just aware of the fact that I would be rolling the dice with my freedom if I defended someone else who didn't have the mind to protect themselves. Whether I would or not would depend I guess. But that's just the way it is.

And to add, the location of this is taking place known for fights. One wouldn't be known as the hero that saved the day. He would be know as the guy that did the shooting at the bar. JMO
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

They threaten me with a bat and it will be in the coffin they bury them in,you take a shot from a bat in your gun arm and it can temporarily/permanently prevent the use of the arm due to nerve damage,I can shoot faster than I can run
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links