Real Scenario just happened few hours ago

This is a discussion on Real Scenario just happened few hours ago within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Back to the OP's friends situation, (1) The man should not have opened the door to the stall. (2) When the bad guy started banging ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Real Scenario just happened few hours ago

Back to the OP's friends situation, (1) The man should not have opened the door to the stall. (2) When the bad guy started banging he should of had his phone on him and made a 911. call (3) He should have been armed. All of this is hindsite. I hope he is better prepaired in the future. Also I hope he doesn't have any perment injuries. You can only count one one person to take care of you and that is you.
    Semper Fi
    PS I agree someone should have stopped the assault.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    For some of us the idea of going hands on would be a no win situation with an outcome similar to what happened to the person this thread is about. Waiting until the beating becomes life threatening would probably be to late to try and retrieve your weapon. Attempting to draw while being pummeled in the head might not work depending on the strength of the blows.
    Example: I ride a bike and look to be very physically fit but that is far from the truth. Even with a cane I can walk only about ten to fifteen minutes before the pain becomes to much. I am pretty sure that even someone smaller than I am could overpower me in a hand to hand encounter.

Michael
    What I will say about this rational is in the eyes of the law, there's a very fine line between going for the gun too soon, and attempting to go for the gun when it's too late to get it into play.

Life and the law isn't always fair. And there's never a guarantee you'll going to come out on the winning end just because you carry a gun, and see yourself as the good guy.

As good law abiding citizens, the law demands that we live and respond to situations within the confines of the law. Of course the bad guys don't play by those rules. So it comes down to the fact that most of the time, we end up responding from a point where we are almost always operating from behind the curve.

You have to understand going in, if you carry a gun just how fine a line that is.

Go for your gun too late and you could end up dead. Go for your gun too soon and you could be spending the rest of your life in prison, if not on death row. That's just the way it is.

No one said it was going to be a fair fight; either with your opponent, or with the legal system.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Fer cryin' out loud, they're in a store full of fine weapons of self defense. Why didn't one of the workers grab a shovel or box of tile and whack the guy?!?!?!?!?

I agree!

Bad things happen when good men stand by and do nothing!

I hope the guy recovers and the idiot rots in jail.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

well, guys, story has taken a weird turn. not too sure if I can say what happened, legally.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

NOW your friend knows the importance of having a firearm and not needing it, instead of not having it and NEEDING it.
    Well, we all live and learn.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    My rapist is not worth my future. A criminal, in my humble opinion, is not worth anyone's future. I've come to realize that and no longer think that an "if I see him again, I'll kill him" reaction is either reasonable or wise.
    This is a little off-topic, but thank you for this reminder, Limatunes. Very wise words. There are two people somewhere out there about whom I have similar thoughts, and now that I'm a parent I've considered how I would feel if someone attacked my son. Thank you for helping clarify what's really important in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    well, guys, story has taken a weird turn. not too sure if I can say what happened, legally.
    I don't see why you would be bound by any legal constraints. The event had nothing to do with you and you were not involved in any way. How would anyone know to look here regarding this incident.

You now have everyone's curiosity peaked, so what gives?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I sure hope your friend is OK.
    Thinking about this attack further. It is VERY clear that your friend was no match for this guy. So, with that being said, if he was armed at the time who is to say the firearm would have been in your friends best interest? Unless he already had it pulled before this guy laid a hand on him he may be better off NOT having the gun at all.
    This attacker was a nutjob and if you ask me, had his mind set on beating your friend to death. If your friend failed to control the situation from the get go with his firearm I am almost positive the attacker would have used your friends own gun to make his mission a bit quicker.

Ahhh - so your kind, compassionate, God-fearing, church-going friend wasn't actually given a random beat-down in a store bathroom by some crazed mountain man because of a perceived and totally baseless affront.

Quelle surprise.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Well... That vague statement leads me (and, likely others) to suspect that your friend may not have been attacked mercilessly by some random psychotic stranger, but instead by someone that he had a prior connection to... mostly likely a connection of the "shady" variety.

According to a statistic that I just made up; 99.9% of violent attacks that don't involve your wallet, involve your dick!

Quote Originally Posted by SigHawk View Post
    If the employess could have lessened the severity of the attack by intervening, it would have been well worth losing a job over IMO.
    And they easily could have without laying a hand on anyone, just outside the bathrooms in the 3 lowe's stores I've worked in there was this big red thing hanging on the wall that works wonders. Easy to use also, pull pin, aim and squeeze handle.

Management tries to discipline you all you have to say is you thought someone yelled fire in the bathroom.

"I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I would probably pepper spray him first. From there it would depend on circumstances. 6' 4" is a lot bigger than I am. Given the opportunity I might try pistol whipping prior to shooting, assuming escape was unavailable.
    A 5' 8" guy trying to pistol whip a 6' 4" enraged psycho is ABOUT the worst idea I've ever heard. I've been pistol whipped with one of those Marksman brand bb/pellet/dart combos (same size, weight, and dimensions of a standard 9mm), and in the midst of a full-on adrenaline dump it was nothing more than a dull throbbing nuance... And, I'm only 6' 0" / 170lbs

If you plan to incorporate any striking into your personal defense strategy I suggest getting a collapsible baton, so when Sasquatch snatches it from you at least it can't go BANG!

Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon View Post
    A 5' 8" guy trying to pistol whip a 6' 4" enraged psycho is ABOUT the worst idea I've ever heard. I've been pistol whipped with one of those Marksman brand bb/pellet/dart combos (same size, weight, and dimensions of a standard 9mm), and in the midst of a full-on adrenaline dump it was nothing more than a dull throbbing nuance... And, I'm only 6' 0" / 170lbs

If you plan to incorporate any striking into your personal defense strategy I suggest getting a collapsible baton, so when Sasquatch snatches it from you at least it can't go BANG!
    Thanks for your suggestion.

Having used striking with a number of different items including a handgun in various situations, I am confident in the capability of a steel handgun for such purpose.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion.

Having used striking with a number of different items including a handgun in various situations, I am confident in the capability of a steel handgun for such purpose.
    I have no doubt that a capable man (which I'm sure you are) could deploy a pistol as an effective striking weapon. My saving grace was that my attackers were 2 honest to god crackheads that had ruined their minds and bodies with hard drugs rendering their combat abilities to something on par with a malnourished retard. None the less... one of those malnourished retards got in about 4-5 solid swats to my dome. My head had 1" 1/2 tall lumps and ached for 2 days, but when it happened I only felt faint dull thumps. Certainly came nowhere near incapacitating me.

My concerns would be that a guy who out sizes you by such a degree could just man-handle the gun away. Then you're for real f%*#'d.

Plus, once you draw a firearm (for whatever purpose), the legal implications jump into a different stratosphere.
    Last edited by RugerRon; September 11th, 2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: grammar

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links