Real Scenario just happened few hours ago - Page 7

Real Scenario just happened few hours ago

This is a discussion on Real Scenario just happened few hours ago within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another word for interest....

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Real Scenario just happened few hours ago

Another word for interest.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Wow! some twist and turns in this one....

"loan shark" sounds like a fishing trip would be in order along with repayment.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Geez - of course....

Here we have this self-defense board, and some guy races in here with this REAL LIFE SCENARIO of some dear, gentle, church-goer who was minding his own business and got a beat-down in a bathroom by some random crazy person. Folks here jump on going, "Tsk-tsk, he shoulda had a gun...."

Then we find out the "victim" is only a victim of the Rule of Three Stupids. What a surprise.

It must have been a rather sizable sum he borrowed given the vicious nature of the collection process.
    Last edited by MadMac; September 14th, 2011 at 09:39 AM.

And probably gambling/drug-related.
    There are banks all over the place for other types of loans.
    MadMac likes this.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, he violated the "Three Stupids" but I still stand by my original statement that he had a right to defend himself. If anything, a sizable debt to a loan shark is a VERY good reason to make sure you are armed at all times.

The only problem for him is that if he ever used his firearm in self defense and the WHOLE story came out (which it likely will) he will have a hard time convincing everyone it was JUST self defense and not a way to "get out of the debt."

Money is always a HUGE motive for murder.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Geez - of course....

Here we have this self-defense board, and some guy races in here with this REAL LIFE SCENARIO of some dear, gentle, church-goer who was minding his own business and got a beat-down in a bathroom by some random crazy person. FOlks here jump on going, "Tsk-tsk, he shoulda had a gun...."

Then we find out the "victim" is only a victim of the Rule of Three Stupids. What a surprise.

It must have been a rather sizable sum he borrowed given the vicious nature of the collection process.

No, I think it started out that the guy got the beat down due to mistaken identity. Something about an affair with the guys wife IIRC. Beside, it's a gun forum, what did ya expect the responses would be like..

I think most of us would expect everyone to have a gun for defense and respond accordingly.. It could be worse, we could just sit around and talk and preach, Peace, Love and TGD.

NOT!

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Yeah, he violated the "Three Stupids" but I still stand by my original statement that he had a right to defend himself. If anything, a sizable debt to a loan shark is a VERY good reason to make sure you are armed at all times.

The only problem for him is that if he ever used his firearm in self defense and the WHOLE story came out (which it likely will) he will have a hard time convincing everyone it was JUST self defense and not a way to "get out of the debt."

Money is always a HUGE motive for murder.
    Not saying he doesn't have the right to defend himself, but the crux of your reply begins after the words, "The only problem for him..." If you want to play real-life The Sopranos, having a gun is simply a quicker way to a jail cell.

That's more than an insignificant caveat. Had he killed his way out of his beat-down, the next guy to show up at his door (while the loanee was awaiting trial) would have simply killed him, and tossed him in the lake with some cement overshoes. You have to know that if you stiff a loan shark, the collection process is a female dog.

If you care so little about your safety as to: a) take out a "loan" from Vinny behind the pool hall, and b) fail to repay said loan, having a gun for "safety" just makes you a bit player in an ongoing criminal drama. It's not if the odds will catch up to you, it's just a matter of when.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Not saying he doesn't have the right to defend himself, but the crux of your reply begins after the words, "The only problem for him..." If you want to play real-life The Sopranos, having a gun is simply a quicker way to a jail cell.

That's more than an insignificant caveat. Had he killed his way out of his beat-down, the next guy to show up at his door (while the loanee was awaiting trial) would have simply killed him, and tossed him in the lake with some cement overshoes. You have to know that if you stiff a loan shark, the collection process is a female dog.

If you care so little about your safety as to: a) take out a "loan" from Vinny behind the pool hall, and b) fail to repay said loan, having a gun for "safety" just makes you a bit player in an ongoing criminal drama. It's not if the odds will catch up to you, it's just a matter of when.
    I agree with you.

My post was slightly tongue-in-cheek.

As stated above, you can get legitimate loans from almost anywhere that don't send people to bust you up when you don't pay so the circumstances of the loan are already in question (and a BIG question at that).

When you start down that road of shady dealings with shady characters for shady people it starts to not matter if you do one right thing in the midst of it all because you're so surrounded by the bad that no matter what you do you are tainted.

If he'd killed the guy in the bathroom and he has this baggage over his head he either, a) has to convince the detectives it was, indeed, self defense vs murder and b) look over his shoulder for the next guy who probably is just out to kill him. And to top it off, all of his dirty laundry gets aired for everyone to see.

It's bad bad bad for him no matter which way he goes (that is, if everything we've read regarding the situation is factual) all because of a stupid decision to borrow some money.

Dare I say, until he gets this taken care of just carrying a gun is not going to save him.

I'm sorry, when we get to talking about loan sharks, bookies, and the like, my Chi Town roots come to life.

Vig, short for vigorish, is the interest on a Sharks loan, or a bookie's percentage for taking a bet. Markers are the note to the shark, or the paper that shows what you owe the bookie on a loosing bet..

But then, when I was taught to read, I was given a dictionary to find any words I didn't understand... now we've got the internet... and Google toolbar is at the top of my web browser page...

Here: >>>Let me Google that for you<<<
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

BUT .... if he would have shot the guy in self-defense, I think he would be Ok...... I mean I"m sure he didn't stop and say, are you here to collect on my loan ? I doubt he knew who the guy was, and even if he did, that's some serious injuries.
    Both this bozo and the loan shark should do some serious time.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    BUT .... if he would have shot the guy in self-defense, I think he would be Ok...... I mean I"m sure he didn't stop and say, are you here to collect on my loan ? I doubt he knew who the guy was, and even if he did, that's some serious injuries.
    Both this bozo and the loan shark should do some serious time.

Agreed. Ya just can't go around beating the snot outa someone because they owe you money.... Assault is assault no matter what kinda reason is behind it. I think if the guy was armed and the idiot assaulted him, he'd be justified by using his firearm for defense, especially being confronted in a close in area like a public restroom; it's not like he could easily evade and avoid the encounter.

And for the sir "loan shark". I'd call the loan null and void. Due to taking it from a shady deal to an illegal act of assault, the LS got repayment via flesh and bone, if he's still looking for interest; he might acquire it in lead.

my friend came out of work to a note on his car saying "repay immediately or expect bad things to happen"

We're still not sure if the beating was related, although it just seems like it would be given all the weird things to follow the beating.
    Plus, the loaner is so irate because before he gives the loan he requires a blank check with a signature. My friend gave him a blank check from an account he closed years ago. Kind of funny to look at as an outsider, but since he;s my friend, I'm strarting to get a little worried about him.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    So, the internet has failed me. What, pray tell, is the rule of three stupids?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    So, the internet has failed me. What, pray tell, is the rule of three stupids?
    Don't do stupid things.
    Don't go stupid places.
    Don't hang out with stupid people.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    my friend came out of work to a note on his car saying "repay immediately or expect bad things to happen"

We're still not sure if the beating was related, although it just seems like it would be given all the weird things to follow the beating.
    Plus, the loaner is so irate because before he gives the loan he requires a blank check with a signature. My friend gave him a blank check from an account he closed years ago. Kind of funny to look at as an outsider, but since he;s my friend, I'm strarting to get a little worried about him.
    I know we might never know but I am exceptionally curious as to how much this guy owes and for what? They seem pretty desperate to get him.

As his friend have you sat down and talked to him and told him if he doesn't get this taken care of he just might end up dead or hurt a lot worse?

Has the police been made aware of the circumstances? I know the police can't help him with his loan but a little more heat might keep the sharks circling a little further off until he can get his finances together (and make a vow before God never to be so stupid again).

I'm assuming the guy who did the beating is still in jail on assault charges? Is that true?

Either way I REALLY hope this guy is trying to get the money together.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links