New guy question - Page 2

New guy question

This is a discussion on New guy question within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Welcome to DC from Ga. You've been given some excellent advice on your query, so use it to your advantage and stay safe and legal....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New guy question

Welcome to DC from Ga.

You've been given some excellent advice on your query, so use it to your advantage and stay safe and legal.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Welcome from CO!...This thread's a gem! Thanks for joining up!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringXDsub View Post
    At what point would you draw your weapon? If you saw a brutal fight going on but were unaware of who the BG and GG were. Would you pull it and try to stop the fight? I'm not saying you were planning to shoot because you were unaware. But just to pull it to try and regain control.
    No.

I'll call 911 and be a good witness.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    You should NEVER use your weapon to scare, warn or intimidate.
    In Florida there is a 5 year minimum mandatory sentence for doing just this.

Check the laws of your state and be familiar with what you can and cannot do.

In Ayoobs book, "In the gravest extreme", he recounts an scenario where he was in a parking garage dimly lit. It was very cold, and some guy was loitering in clothing unsuitable for the weather. The BG started angling his path toward the author until Ayoob turned slightly and pulled his overcoat back to reveal his firearm. He never put his hand on it or pulled it from leather, but the BG knew it was game over if he continued.

My point is this. There may be a fine line between brandishing a firearm BEFORE your life is in immediate and imminent danger to possibly save some BG's life, AND change your life forever having to shoot/kill someone.

In this scenario, your spidey sense says something could go very wrong very quickly, yet you life isn't in immediate dander. You dont know the BG has a knife, gun, or any weapon, yet his actions are threatening and not normal.
    I know I can pull my weapon and stop a threat to me or my family, but its these instances like the one I'm speaking of that makes puts me in a quandary as to the correct defensive action

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

911 can be your friend...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to the forum. This thread ia just one example of the great advice you can get here.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

I hear a lot that you should NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE pull your weapon unless you are going to shoot. I couldn't disagree more.

It's been about five years ago that I was about to be attacked by a man who stated his intention to "beat the hell out of you (me)". I pulled my gun, pointed it at his chest, and released the safety in one move without thinking about it. He decided he had business elsewhere.

When the sheriff's deputy arrived to take my report he said "I bet that guy thinks twice next time".

VIP Member
    Display or draw to defuse is a bad move unless you are prepared to fire. Even then, the conditions better justify the potential results. BTW: Welcome to the forum.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    I hear a lot that you should NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE pull your weapon unless you are going to shoot. I couldn't disagree more.

It's been about five years ago that I was about to be attacked by a man who stated his intention to "beat the hell out of you (me)". I pulled my gun, pointed it at his chest, and released the safety in one move without thinking about it. He decided he had business elsewhere.

When the sheriff's deputy arrived to take my report he said "I bet that guy thinks twice next time".
    I understand that... I would alter that axiom to read "NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, pull your weapon unless you are FULLY PREPARED to shoot.

There are many incidents where simply showing a weapon's availability (by uncovering a holster as an example, as told by Massad Ayoob in In The Gravest Extreme), has stopped an assault, a rape, a robbery, etc. Sometimes, as in the recent case of the wife who handled the situation with the 9mm (posted elsewhere on this site LINK ) having the weapon drawn and aimed at the potential perpetrator is required. And finally, one has to be willing and able to use the weapon in their hand as put forth in Letter From An Angry Reader (Esquire Magazine).

That said, when "defending the life of another," many more possibilities come into play... and it can be difficult to determine who the good guy is...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Bottom line is that we carry a weapon, to only be used to stop a/the threat.

If the mere presentation, or display of said weapon accomplishes that feat, then job done. End report.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links