Selling something on CraigsList

This is a discussion on Selling something on CraigsList within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If your going to sale something on craigslist make arraignment to meet and show it in a place where there will be lots of people ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Selling something on CraigsList

VIP Member
    If your going to sale something on craigslist make arraignment to meet and show it in a place where there will be lots of people around. I wouldn't even give out my home phone number. With your phone number they can find out where the "goodies" are located. Since the vast majority of us here carry anyway, the only other thing you might want to do is carry an extra magazine.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Well, if you had say 3 gangbangers outside your door, would that not be immediately life threatening?

I was just thinking out loud and running through some possible scenarios. I am not that experienced and was looking for maybe a better way to handle the situation.

I love this forum for ideas because everyone contributes and I come up with a better plan. I am just saying for next time, I will not be doing the whole communication thing via text, opting for a phone call so I can hear the potential buyer.
    Sorry if I came across as a bit harsh. Each PSAP only has so many lines and so many operators. While you are asking them sit there and listen to the situation you created by inviting those gang bangers over someone else might be getting the " Do not hang up" recording as they are bleeding out from a laceration or having a heart attack.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Sorry if I came across as a bit harsh. Each PSAP only has so many lines and so many operators. While you are asking them sit there and listen to the situation you created by inviting those gang bangers over someone else might be getting the " Do not hang up" recording as they are bleeding out from a laceration or having a heart attack.
    I don't think you were harsh. Having someone mean looking show up at your house to buy your stuff is not an emergency.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Hey at least I am not calling 911 because McDonalds is out of Chicken McNuggets!!

OK, so I learned that is not a good idea. Good thing this is a simulator and I can hit the reset button.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I tried selling my dirtbike on CL a couple years ago in NJ and couldn't transport it anywhere so the meeting had to be at my house. I was obviously armed but I was out-numbered and the 2 guys seemed pretty shady. I was sure to keep my distance as to not allow them to get hands on me. I think they saw my pistol in the back of my pants as I sat on the bike and I never heard from them again.

Last summer I was helping my girlfriend sell a basement full of furniture for her Aunt in PA from a rental property in an afluent area. She'd always talk to them on the phone and get a good idea of where they lived and what they were like. Most were normal, a couple weirdos but out of 15+ sales that's expected.
    One guy came walking down the driveway, probably 26yo dressed normally, and was OC'ing a ruger revolver! My gf's liberal aunt was a bit alarmed, I was just the opposite thinking, "Oh, another good guy." I quickly explained why he was no threat and she agreed after discussing the topic for a minute.

I sell gun parts and steel targets on gun boards, sometimes steel targets on CL, and never have any qualms about meeting fellow shooters. The way I think about it is, if you're looking to rob someone why in the hell would you choose someone you KNOW has guns? Regardless, whenever I meet someone to buy/sell I'm always armed!

You have to be a fool not to be armed when meeting a stranger and that meeting better be in a public place too.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Hey at least I am not calling 911 because McDonalds is out of Chicken McNuggets!!

OK, so I learned that is not a good idea. Good thing this is a simulator and I can hit the reset button.
    Sorry. I wasn't trying to rub it in or anything. My comment was directed at mcp1810. I was just trying to tell him that he wasn't harsh and there is no need to be sorry when you are speaking the truth.

I hope that there is plenty of truth to be had the next time I have a question.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    IMO, any and all public internet sites and interrractions with strangers is cause for concern.That goes from Craigs to Ebay to Facebook etal. They are here to stay and, in their specific ways, offer something for everyone in different ways, but, bottom line, you have no freakin idea who or what you are dealing with. Trust your instincts and imagine everyone of them is a homicidal maniac and give out info accordingly. This country is not the country of the 50's or 60's, where your door could stay unlocked when you lived in a community where you knew all your neighbors. Tough talk? Make one mistake and then tell me my comments are not meaningful.

9-1-1 is for immediately life threatening energencies. It is not a security service.

If you are not prepared to have unknown parties come to your house to look at the item, find a nice very public place to meet them. Maybe a place like a police station parking lot. Either that or sell it through a consignment shop.
    Yes, this is one of the better ideas, if the item is small enough to transport!

+1 thats what i do,meet somewhere.
    9-1-1 is for immediately life threatening energencies. It is not a security service.

If you are not prepared to have unknown parties come to your house to look at the item, find a nice very public place to meet them. Maybe a place like a police station parking lot. Either that or sell it through a consignment shop.
    SiVisPacem likes this.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

I personally don't sell my used crap using any public media. I've never even used the old-school classifieds in the paper. If I can't find someone I know who wants to buy something, I give it away or trash it.

Sure, I'm losing money, but for me, this has always been a safety issue - even long before there was a Craig's List. The only things I've sold where people come to my house have been the houses themselves. In those cases, I make it VERY clear to my realtor how I want a walk-through handled, and I move my valuables out of the house while it's up for sale.

If I want to sell a motorcycle, lawn tractor, or other larger piece of equipment, I will sell it on consignment and give someone a scrape to handle the deal. It's not worth my time or my family's safety to entertain tire-kickers, kids, and weirdos.
    Last edited by MadMac; September 12th, 2011 at 10:28 AM.

TVJ
    Stop selling on craigslist, pay the ebay sellers fee and ship your merchandise even locally. Put link to ebay on craigslist. The added cost is your safety fee.

For Craigslist selling:

Meet outside/next to your local police station during the day. Tell them this not just an address.

Meet at a busy shopping center/grocery store parking lot in a nice part of town near the entrance during well lit hours.

Never (never is a big word) sell from home any item of any value. Tell me again why I want some random person to know what I look like and where I live regardless of how well armed, trained I am?

Carry; watch hands, clothing/beltline, body language, numbers of potential buyers (ask ahead how many; multiple people skip it/leave especially if they say they come alone. Says just him but multiple show up, change tactics/skip sale). Do you have the personality to completely blow the person off to their face when they show up if your spidy sense acts up? Lots of people cannot and feel bad about being "rude"......Know yourself. Avoid emotionally boxing yourself in.

Develop self defense tactics ahead of the sale to avoid "thinking" about what to do if buyer "triggers" an SA tripwire.

Let someone know where your going and for how long if you cannot take a friend.

http://craigscrimelist.org/
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links