Pretty sure I saw a robbery today

This is a discussion on Pretty sure I saw a robbery today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was leaving school really late in the afternoon around 5:00 pm. About 85% of the student population is gone by 2:30 or 3. So ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Pretty sure I saw a robbery today

Pretty sure I saw a robbery today

I was leaving school really late in the afternoon around 5:00 pm. About 85% of the student population is gone by 2:30 or 3. So I get to my truck and sit down and look through the windshield. About 60 yeards away I see a VERY rough Male and Female siinging and dancing and acting like idiots yelling and walking towards a couple walking to class. At this time the thug male rapidly approaches the male in the other couple and leans into his face and waves his hands. The other male then pulls out his wallet and hands him money. The thugs then turn and dance away.

Not too sure if this was a robbery. Maybe just an aggressive "let me borrow some money" and the guy just gave him some out of intimidation.

This led me to thinking: you're walking to youre car from a gas station and a guy gets in front of you and aggresively says "let me borrow some money.." I know a gun woould not come into play, but how would you all react. Really rude? Try to be nice the first time and say you dont have any? Yell at him?

What would you do? Also, should I have done anything or just do what I did and lay low.
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Blade away from him and get a grip on my oc. Tell him, I don't know you, I'm not lending you any money.
    Lower level aggression, go to the oc. He produces a weapon, higher level response.

I might have walked over to the couple and asked what happened. If they declined to provide info, leave.
    kjsl105 likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I think that would be a perfect time for me to flash that Concealed Carry Badge that I don't have nor never will.

I back up with my hands in front of me letting him know I'm intimidated.
    If he takes another step towards me, I'm putting my hand to my weapon and saying that he is "freaking me out" (or some such), all the while retreating.
    If the SOB hasn't the sense to stop adavancing, I'm drawing and firing.

This just the basics and subject to modifications due the exact situation.

On another note, I'd hope I was aware enough to avoid him in the first place.
    People do sometimes get the drop on you though.

Tell him to get lost, and see if he wants to ratchet it up a notch!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    First off, I'm not letting him get close enough to be "in my face". Someone hits me up for money, first time I will tell them nicely, "sorry, don't have any to give you". What happens from there depends on them.
    Old School likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    It sounds like another spin on diversionary tactics. The aggressor played it pretty well in that he didn’t assault the man that would have constituted a strong-arm robbery. I suppose if you have a chance with spray or tase, then it simply falls back to articulation.
    kjsl105 likes this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    See my new .sig...
    :p

(Of course I'd say 'Stop or my Tactical Girlfriend Will Shoot You!'
    /Sly Stallone)

VIP Member
    Something similar just happened to me yesterday (actually this stuff happens all the time in my occupation). A young man walked into a vacant building where I was assessing some repairs and forcefully suggested that I "need to give him twenty cents". Bear in mind that he has just trespassed into a building and we are now both alone and concealed within the building. I suspect that the amount of money requested made it obvious that he came for much more than that, and this was just the first interview question to test my response, which was "sorry, I have nothing for you". He stood there in silence blinking while I stood there watching his hands. He then mumbled something and walked back out.

I didn't have OC. I did have a G19 IWB. I didn't reach for the G19, but I bladed so that it was blocked from his view if I were to reach for it. I was not rude, nor provocative. I gave him every opportunity to walk back out with his 'respect' intact.

I imagine that he's had some level of success with that approach where his victim usually gives up some level of offering in hopes of him going away.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Something similar just happened to me yesterday (actually this stuff happens all the time in my occupation). A young man walked into a vacant building where I was assessing some repairs and forcefully suggested that I "need to give him twenty cents". Bear in mind that he has just trespassed into a building and we are now both alone and concealed within the building. I suspect that the amount of money requested made it obvious that he came for much more than that, and this was just the first interview question to test my response, which was "sorry, I have nothing for you". He stood there in silence blinking while I stood there watching his hands. He then mumbled something and walked back out.

I didn't have OC. I did have a G19 IWB. I didn't reach for the G19, but I bladed so that it was blocked from his view if I were to reach for it. I was not rude, nor provocative. I gave him every opportunity to walk back out with his 'respect' intact.

I imagine that he's had some level of success with that approach where his victim usually gives up some level of offering in hopes of him going away.
    That was Fity cent's younger cousin, 20 cent.
    WHEC724, RugerMike and Old School like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    "If the SOB hasn't the sense to stop adavancing, I'm drawing and firing.

This just the basics and subject to modifications due the exact situation.

On another note, I'd hope I was aware enough to avoid him in the first place.
    People do sometimes get the drop on you though."

Hey Tsadik: Drawing AND FIRING if he advances? Really asking for a whole lot of problems
    The rest of your comments are right on. Situational awareness is number one on my list.

Drawing and shooting, possibly killing, someone walking toward you asking a question.

I'm going to pass on that one.
    Old School likes this.

If someone continues at you after you've clearly indicated that you are feeling threatened and that you have a firearm
    they are clearly intending you harm or are nuts. But like I said I'd have to know the EXACT circumstances.
    I'm going to do everything I can to avoid it getting that far.

Unfortunately, intent or being nuts, do not alone justify deadly force, but I do understand where you are coming from.

Someone politely ask me for some change, heck I'll help um out in most cases.... Someone ask me for change backed by hint of aggression, I'll tell um to get lost. If they are so stupid as to approach me with clear intent and possible force, and they make the huge mistake of getting within striking distance; I'll punch their lights out.. I'm older, but not elderly. Like I read in another post earlier today... Being six foot two and two thirty does have it's advantages from time to time. Not to many fellas I've ran into like to get physical. Sure the day will come when we should avoid a physical altercation at all cost, but on the same note, it's not like I would provoke or initiated the encounter, and that day has come my direction as of yet.

Oh', and any sign of a weapon, and the guy's toast. End of story...
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; September 14th, 2011 at 05:42 PM.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links