early morning door pounding = gun drawn

This is a discussion on early morning door pounding = gun drawn within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This weekend I'm visiting my girlfriend who lives right off campus at a major university. She shares an apartment with 2 other roomates. This complex ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: early morning door pounding = gun drawn

early morning door pounding = gun drawn

This weekend I'm visiting my girlfriend who lives right off campus at a major university. She shares an apartment with 2 other roomates. This complex is extremely sketchy. Nothing but college aged kids. Lots of partying, fights, rapes, crime, etc. Last week a man was missing as prime suspect in a murder that lives in this complex. Well, early this morning at 2am we're all dead asleep in our different rooms (i'm in my girlfriend's room), when pounding starts on the door. I'm an EXTREMELY deep sleeper so I wake up to the dog barking, my girlfriend and the other roommate panicking and running around the apartment. They keep saying "no one is in the peep hole." I walk into the living room, and sure enough, steady and slow theres "KNOCK.....KNOCK.....KNOCK.....KNOCK" stops for like 30 seconds, then "BOOM.......BOOM......BOOM" I get my 19 and have it at low ready as I approach the door. When I have my eye to the peep hole, BOOM! someone knocks on it, but still there is no one in the peep hole.

So I back peddle from the door with my Glock at low ready towards the door as my GF and her roomate are behind me growing more and more panicked by the second. Right then my GF's phone rings. (Keep in mind it is 2:05 AM). Its from the OTHER roomate who we now notice is not in her room. The girl is screeming and sobbing pleading for us to let her in. I cautiously go to the door and still no one is in the peep hole. the girls behind me urge me to open it to see if she is there. So I slowly and with EXTREME SUSPENSION crack open the door, and sure enough, here is the 3rd roomate sprawled on her face drunk, sobbing, trying to crawl into the apartment. It was very creepy; think the scene in the horror movie The Ring when the demon girl creepily crawls up to the camera. My GF and her roomate rush over and pull her up and haul her to her bedroom.

This got me thinking about how terrible it could have been if some BG would have caught the other roomate, done something bad to her, then used her as a bait to get into the door for the other 2 girls. If the roomate wouldn't have called my GF I would have never opened the door.

Thoughts? Reactions? Did I handle this okay?
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Thoughts? Reactions? Did I handle this okay?

Seems so. Results count. All's well.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Not how I would have handled it, but it turned out just fine. More than one way up the mountain.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Too much imagination, one too many room mates.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Nothing good happens after 2:00 a.m. Ironically, I had nearly the same thing happen about a week ago. I approached the door from the side to flip on the outside light. It was a drunk woman so I didn't let her in, and she eventually headed off after I told her I couldn't help her.
    mr.stuart and Hopyard like this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Should have sent the room mate first to open the door
    nwroadie likes this.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Last edited by GoBigOrange; September 18th, 2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: misread your post

VIP Member
    In this case it wasn't necessary, but in normal circunstances, a call to the police would have been my first reaction. They can always be called back and told there was no problem.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Yeah the 'woman in distress' ploy is being used more often. After 2am don't let strangers in the house and call the rescue squad or 911 and let them handle it.

Also, when using the peephole, look quickly and move off. People have been known to shoot through the peephole.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    you let a drunk stranger into your house? wow.
    He said right in his post that he did not let her in.

To the OP: Being in an apartment with no windows to look out and see who is at the door, I would have called the cops, especially since no one was visible in the peephole.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Well, that's UF for ya'...murder suspects (who was caught, by the way...), rapists, robbers, drug dealers, etc. Yep, pretty much any major university now-a -days.

Glad there were no other surprises. Did you explain the stupidity of those actions to the drunk chick?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=retsupt99;2032689]Well, that's UF for ya'...murder suspects (who was caught, by the way...), rapists, robbers, drug dealers, etc. Yep, pretty much any major university now-a -days.

Glad there were no other surprises. Did you explain the stupidity of those actions to the drunk chick?[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Personally, I would explain to the bimbo roommate, that should she get so hammered again, that she cannot get home, unlock the door without assistance, she will be unceremoniously booted to the curb, WITHOUT WARNING. Her parents, who might also be footing some of the bill for the apt. would also get the same speech.
    She is endangering herself, let alone her roommates, who would be getting a call to come get her from God knows where, should she not be able to make it back.

Good riddance to bad baggage.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=oneshot;2032697]
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Well, that's UF for ya'...murder suspects (who was caught, by the way...), rapists, robbers, drug dealers, etc. Yep, pretty much any major university now-a -days.

Glad there were no other surprises. Did you explain the stupidity of those actions to the drunk chick?[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Personally, I would explain to the bimbo roommate, that should she get so hammered again, that she cannot get home, unlock the door without assistance,[B] she will be unceremoniously booted to the curb,
    Personally I have a hunch she is underage and an inexperienced drinker. Maybe she learned her lesson.

I'd show her the thread I started elsewhere about our "upstanding constable." Nothing good happens when you are too drunk to know what is going on. At least she made it to the door. She got really lucky she didn't make it to jail or to the morgue.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Yeah the 'woman in distress' ploy is being used more often. After 2am don't let strangers in the house and call the rescue squad or 911 and let them handle it.

Also, when using the peephole, look quickly and move off. People have been known to shoot through the peephole.
    I fear the same thing with the peep hole or getting the door kicked in while looking through it.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Odd she did not have a key to her own apartment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links