Another 2:00am Door Pounding Story (this one ends a little differently) - Page 2

Another 2:00am Door Pounding Story (this one ends a little differently)

This is a discussion on Another 2:00am Door Pounding Story (this one ends a little differently) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not a shotgun guy, but I agree that racking a pump will gain you a lot of respect. The problem is that if you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Another 2:00am Door Pounding Story (this one ends a little differently)

I'm not a shotgun guy, but I agree that racking a pump will gain you a lot of respect. The problem is that if you just racked a shotgun then you either didn't have one in the pipe to begin with which was dumb because you left yourself vulnerable to attack, or you just ejected some of your precious ammo onto the ground. Some people tend think that shotguns are a "can't miss" option that will blast away everything in the general direction that it is pointed, but at the close ranges typical of a home defense situation you're not going to get much more than about a 2 in. spread... meaning you gotta aim just like us pistol guys. Granted the shotguns do pack a whole lot more punch!

The intimidation-factor is why I have a laser-sight on every handgun I own. Just simply activating the laser will send most people scrambling.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon View Post
    I'm not a shotgun guy, but I agree that racking a pump will gain you a lot of respect. The problem is that if you just racked a shotgun then you either didn't have one in the pipe to begin with which was dumb because you left yourself vulnerable to attack, or you just ejected some of your precious ammo onto the ground. Some people tend think that shotguns are a "can't miss" option that will blast away everything in the general direction that it is pointed, but at the close ranges typical of a home defense situation you're not going to get much more than about a 2 in. spread... meaning you gotta aim just like us pistol guys. Granted the shotguns do pack a whole lot more punch!

The intimidation-factor is why I have a laser-sight on every handgun I own. Just simply activating the laser will send most people scrambling.
    I wouldn't say storing your shotgun without a round chambered is dumb. I know a vast many people, myself included who store their shotguns "cruiser ready" for a variety of reasons.

Regarding the laser-sights... It also shows your opponent exactly where to shoot.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

All of this talk of racking a shot-gun reminds me of something a Ft.Worth police officer once told me. He said on many occasions he's been called out to a break-in of a building such as a warehouse. He says he'll walk up to the door, just out of sight, then pump the shotgun. Typically after making that sound, he will hear the BG immediately surrender and say "We're coming out, don't shoot us!"
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I have personally had such experiences more than once.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I wouldn't say storing your shotgun without a round chambered is dumb. I know a vast many people, myself included who store their shotguns "cruiser ready" for a variety of reasons.

Regarding the laser-sights... It also shows your opponent exactly where to shoot.
    Wouldnt that be cruiser safe ? Edit: Mis read it, sorry bout that Bark'n
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I wouldn't say storing your shotgun without a round chambered is dumb. I know a vast many people, myself included who store their shotguns "cruiser ready" for a variety of reasons.Regarding the laser-sights... It also shows your opponent exactly where to shoot.
    Right, safety is off, since the gun has no round in the pipe, no fumbling for the slide release either.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by marklind View Post
    This story happened about 10 years ago, I'll try to include as many details as possible so it might be a little long, sorry:

Karen (my wife - then girlfriend) & her sister Mary used to rent a duplex; after a few years the other half came available so I moved in. It was her and her sister on one side, and I lived in the other half with my puppy Binky. The duplex wasn't in the best part of town, however it was in the suburbs so overall crime was extremely low. Karen and Mary had the apartment vandalized once and the cops found their wallets and credit cards next door at the scumbag neighbors house, so when I moved in I made it a point to let the neighbors know that I was there and if they wanted to come in again they would regret it (I was only 21, and I thought I was the MAN and bulletproof haha).

Mary was older and extremely straight-laced, so I used to spend the night but i always had to sleep on the sofa (which was funny, b/c she loved when I slept over; she said she loved having a man in the house haha).

One night, about a year after I moved in I'm sawing logs on the sofa when I hear what sounds like an explosion. I'm ripped out of sleep and I can clearly remember thinking it was just a dream. I close my eyes - and hear it again, I realized it was someone pounding the everliving sh*t out of the front door! We had a screen door & a storm door, and someone is absolutely crushing the screen door. I fly off of the sofa and literally stand there for what felt like 5 minutes, in reality it was prob 1 second. Again - BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!! I walk towards the front window and peer outside, I can remember thinking it was the Police, but I can't remember why. I peer outside and see a car at the front of my driveway, and it looks like it's semi-stuck in my ditch, and a 20ish year old jacked-up punk standing on my front steps. Again -BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!!!!!!!!

At this point Karen, Binky (my pup) and Mary come out of their bedrooms, confused and terrified. I tell them to stand back and don't move - except to call 911. I fly out the back door and run into my side of the house, grab my pistol-grip mossberg 12ga and fly back over in about 2 seconds (our back doors were literally about 6" apart, so going back and forth was just like going to another room). I fly back in the house, shotgun in tow, and the guy is STILL beating the sh*t out of the door. Now I'm pissed, really pissed; and the girls are petrified.

I jerk open the storm door (I knew the screen door was locked, not that it would have made a difference) and tuck the shotgun behind my leg so the BG can't see it. He proceeds to inform me that his car was stuck in the ditch outside, and "I needed to come out there and help him move it". I reply (I can remember this so crystal clear): I NEED to? You're *&%(^ telling me I NEED to? You come BEATING on my *&#*$ door at 2am and TELL me what I'M GONNA DO??? At this point I notice that there are other people in the car, I can't see how many b/c the windows had a slight tint, and obviously it's pitch-black outside. I remember wondering why the hell is this guy asking me to come help him when he's got people there to help - then it clicks - if I walk out this door I ain't coming back in. The punk proceeds to argue with me, he says: "I didn't beat on anyone's door, I knocked on your door and you're going to come help me NOW"; he then tells me that I'm in trouble, messing with the wrong guy, don't know who I'm $*%& with this-and-that (mind-you he came to MY house). Lots of big threats and curse-words...

At this point I'm completely enraged, the girls are near-panic and the dog is terrified. I'm literally about to snap, holding a 12ga and this punk is fighting with me with no signs of backing down, in fact he is now advancing up my steps closer to my door. Mary then notices the situation is getting much worse and she screams "MARK PUT THE GUN DOWN PLEASE!" I remember throwing her a "SHUT THE F UP" look very quickly, b/c I don't want this idiot to know what I've got. The way I'm standing, I knew for a fact he never saw it. She yells again "Mark PLEASE put the gun down, you can't kill anyone" (did I mention she was older and extremely straight-laced - I called it living in fantasy land) Well, this time the BG hears her, so now that I know that HE knows what I have, I turn and show him the shotgun. I continue to hold it down pointing at the floor, but now he sees it in my hand.

I'm telling you -- I am BEYOND enraged at this point. I have some methed-out punk at my front door telling me what I'm going to do, I have up to 4 more people in the car that for all I know are going to ambush me the second I walk out the door, and I have 3 more females behind me that are counting on ME to take care of them. I finally have enough, and tell him he has until the count of 3 to get that **$*^)&^ piece of sh*t out of my driveway or else I will (insert threat here). I raise the gun up slowly, and scream out ONE! Now he's stuttering and backing down the steps, s-s-s-sir, I I I I a-a-a-pologize for waking you all up, we'll be on our w-w-way. TWO - then I rack the shotgun, at this point he says f-it and turns around and hauls-a*s towards the car. He gets in and next thing I hear is the car's motor bouncing off the rev-limiter, tires spinning and dust flying all over the place. He manages to get the car out of the ditch and they take off.

Now this is when it gets scary.....

You gotta understand, this all happened in a span of 30-45 seconds. It felt like forever, but it was over in a flash. Did they know I was there? Did I surprise them as much as they did me? Did they think that Karen and Mary were home alone and they were going to rape them, kill them??? Finally my other next-door neighbor comes over and tells me that the car was sitting in my driveway with the engine and lights off for over an hour! When the cops arrive then proceed to tell me that about 90-minutes earlier there was a gas-station robbed in town, and they were chasing a car matching the description of the one in my driveway when they lost it in the night. They were prob hiding-out in my driveway waiting for the heat to die down and decided it was cool when they got stuck in my ditch. The cops caught them minutes later....

Takeaways:

1) I'm glad I didn't have to shoot anyone. Really glad. I then knew in my heart I would have, and could have pulled the trigger. That was a huge learning experience for me. It kinda scared me.

2) I could have left the door closed, someone denting my door is better than denting my head. I could have let the cops do their job.

3) Karen and Mary told me I was staying over permanently moving forward, and they wanted me to keep a gun in the house (Mary was somewhat gun-shy before this event)

4) The sound of a shotgun racking is absolutely an excellent deterrent.

5) I didn't sleep the rest of the night haha.

6) The cops all wanted to play with my shotgun (it's kinda cool, it's all souped up and has all sorts of bells-and-whistles on it) and basically told me that I needed a pat on the back for defending myself, the girls, and my property. They then reminded me that you only shoot if you feel that your life is in danger, and in these circumstances, 4 people luring me outside could have ended MUCH worse.

Sorry it's so long-winded...I wanted to make it as accurate as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My takeaways from this story with a "happy" ending are these:
    - Have a gun.
    - Anticipate that a pounding on your door at an ungodly hour is not to bring you good news, and constitutes a likelihood of a threat.
    - A "command presence" (i.e., an angry armed resident yelling back that he's not about to do the door-pounder's bidding) is an effective deterrent.

Perhaps the one thing I would advise doing differently is having the gun ready to go when the door was opened. Racking the pump gun worked in this case, but in the span of the time it took the OP to chamber a round in the pump gun, a determined and armed BG could have pulled his own weapon and killed him.

But all's well that ends well. The OP is (presumabley) happily married, and the straight-laced older sister had a real-life SHTF education. Bonus points awarded because the OP was the manly-man there to protect their butts. (I get those from my 50-something lady because she knows I'm prepared.)
    My storm doors have deadbolts on them, also, I'm always armed, usually concealed, when I answer the door.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

We're not talking about STORING guns. We're talking about how we respond to a loud banging on the door at 2 am. If you choose to store your shotgun without a round in the chamber, you need to remedy that before confronting any potential threat at the door. Otherwise, your shot gun might as well be a baseball bat. If you want to rack your shells onto the ground playing Dirty Harry that’s cool, but I want all of mine for shooting criminals.

While, lasers could potentially give away your location in a real-deal gun fight, they can easily be turned off if your ordeal turns into a game of cat and mouse/ hide and seek. In a face-to-face standoff style confrontation (LIKE WE’RE TALKING ABOUT HERE) a laser can communicate your threat very effectively.

Interesting... I love the idea about the sound or racking the slide but wonder if the punk had busted down the door and you didn't have two hands available or time to rack it, now you basically have a club. On the other hand, keeping one in the pipe runs the risk of someone else accidentally getting their hands on it and pulling the trigger. (I have kids) I guess I'd keep the shottie without one in the pipe but my semi pistol with one in the pipe.

Glad you were ok, and no one got shot. Too bad those kids were able to leave without the cops checking them out/ and now they know there might be a firearm at that residence and break in when no one's home. Still, I would have done what you did. Kudos.

Jim

Intense

Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon View Post
    We're not talking about STORING guns. We're talking about how we respond to a loud banging on the door at 2 am. If you choose to store your shotgun without a round in the chamber, you need to remedy that before confronting any potential threat at the door. Otherwise, your shot gun might as well be a baseball bat. If you want to rack your shells onto the ground playing Dirty Harry that’s cool, but I want all of mine for shooting criminals.

While, lasers could potentially give away your location in a real-deal gun fight, they can easily be turned off if your ordeal turns into a game of cat and mouse/ hide and seek. In a face-to-face standoff style confrontation (LIKE WE’RE TALKING ABOUT HERE) a laser can communicate your threat very effectively.
    I understand what you're saying. Personally, my defense procedures I don't answer doors with the shotgun. I find it too difficult to wield effectively during a possible struggle in a doorway. I use my shotgun inside the bedroom/safe room for anyone who breaches that threshold. Kind of my last ditch artillery. For answering the front door, it's usually a G-23 or an XD-9sc.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

ViolinJim the cops did catch them a few minutes after they left according to the original post.

For answering the front door, it's usually a G-23 or an XD-9sc.
    Yes, Sir!

I've got a G23 with a Tac-Light, CTC laser, and spare mag that sits on my nightstand while I sleep. That will resolve 99.9% of home-defense needs.

If 27 rounds of .40 cal ammo can't protect you, you need to examine your lifestyle.

some great points on here!! I always relied on the sound working, but what could have happened? I'm banking on having that few seconds to rack it and regroup, but that may not always be a possibility!!

Thanks, really made me think!

Also, I'll try to post a pic of the shotgun....it's pretty small IMG00137-20110919-1938.jpg. It's got the ammo holder, folding stock, barrel cooler, some of the cool goodies haha.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Glad everything turned out OK. I thought about this type of scenario before. In this kind of situation and hour my thinking is not to answer the door but to gather family in a room behind me (one of them armed, one calling 911), and facing the door in question rack the slide and wait for either the police to show up first or BG's getting inside.

I too do not keep my shotty chambered. It stands in the corner at night at the head of my bed, safety off but not chambered because there are young children in the house. It's a simple matter to grab it and rack it in the dark but I do have a handgun even closer that is always at the ready in case I cannot get to the long gun in time.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links