Another 2:00am Door Pounding Story (this one ends a little differently)

This is a discussion on Another 2:00am Door Pounding Story (this one ends a little differently) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This story happened about 10 years ago, I'll try to include as many details as possible so it might be a little long, sorry: Karen ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Another 2:00am Door Pounding Story (this one ends a little differently)

Another 2:00am Door Pounding Story (this one ends a little differently)

This story happened about 10 years ago, I'll try to include as many details as possible so it might be a little long, sorry:

Karen (my wife - then girlfriend) & her sister Mary used to rent a duplex; after a few years the other half came available so I moved in. It was her and her sister on one side, and I lived in the other half with my puppy Binky. The duplex wasn't in the best part of town, however it was in the suburbs so overall crime was extremely low. Karen and Mary had the apartment vandalized once and the cops found their wallets and credit cards next door at the scumbag neighbors house, so when I moved in I made it a point to let the neighbors know that I was there and if they wanted to come in again they would regret it (I was only 21, and I thought I was the MAN and bulletproof haha).

Mary was older and extremely straight-laced, so I used to spend the night but i always had to sleep on the sofa (which was funny, b/c she loved when I slept over; she said she loved having a man in the house haha).

One night, about a year after I moved in I'm sawing logs on the sofa when I hear what sounds like an explosion. I'm ripped out of sleep and I can clearly remember thinking it was just a dream. I close my eyes - and hear it again, I realized it was someone pounding the everliving sh*t out of the front door! We had a screen door & a storm door, and someone is absolutely crushing the screen door. I fly off of the sofa and literally stand there for what felt like 5 minutes, in reality it was prob 1 second. Again - BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!! I walk towards the front window and peer outside, I can remember thinking it was the Police, but I can't remember why. I peer outside and see a car at the front of my driveway, and it looks like it's semi-stuck in my ditch, and a 20ish year old jacked-up punk standing on my front steps. Again -BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!!!!!!!!

At this point Karen, Binky (my pup) and Mary come out of their bedrooms, confused and terrified. I tell them to stand back and don't move - except to call 911. I fly out the back door and run into my side of the house, grab my pistol-grip mossberg 12ga and fly back over in about 2 seconds (our back doors were literally about 6" apart, so going back and forth was just like going to another room). I fly back in the house, shotgun in tow, and the guy is STILL beating the sh*t out of the door. Now I'm pissed, really pissed; and the girls are petrified.

I jerk open the storm door (I knew the screen door was locked, not that it would have made a difference) and tuck the shotgun behind my leg so the BG can't see it. He proceeds to inform me that his car was stuck in the ditch outside, and "I needed to come out there and help him move it". I reply (I can remember this so crystal clear): I NEED to? You're *&%(^ telling me I NEED to? You come BEATING on my *&#*$ door at 2am and TELL me what I'M GONNA DO??? At this point I notice that there are other people in the car, I can't see how many b/c the windows had a slight tint, and obviously it's pitch-black outside. I remember wondering why the hell is this guy asking me to come help him when he's got people there to help - then it clicks - if I walk out this door I ain't coming back in. The punk proceeds to argue with me, he says: "I didn't beat on anyone's door, I knocked on your door and you're going to come help me NOW"; he then tells me that I'm in trouble, messing with the wrong guy, don't know who I'm $*%& with this-and-that (mind-you he came to MY house). Lots of big threats and curse-words...

At this point I'm completely enraged, the girls are near-panic and the dog is terrified. I'm literally about to snap, holding a 12ga and this punk is fighting with me with no signs of backing down, in fact he is now advancing up my steps closer to my door. Mary then notices the situation is getting much worse and she screams "MARK PUT THE GUN DOWN PLEASE!" I remember throwing her a "SHUT THE F UP" look very quickly, b/c I don't want this idiot to know what I've got. The way I'm standing, I knew for a fact he never saw it. She yells again "Mark PLEASE put the gun down, you can't kill anyone" (did I mention she was older and extremely straight-laced - I called it living in fantasy land) Well, this time the BG hears her, so now that I know that HE knows what I have, I turn and show him the shotgun. I continue to hold it down pointing at the floor, but now he sees it in my hand.

I'm telling you -- I am BEYOND enraged at this point. I have some methed-out punk at my front door telling me what I'm going to do, I have up to 4 more people in the car that for all I know are going to ambush me the second I walk out the door, and I have 3 more females behind me that are counting on ME to take care of them. I finally have enough, and tell him he has until the count of 3 to get that **$*^)&^ piece of sh*t out of my driveway or else I will (insert threat here). I raise the gun up slowly, and scream out ONE! Now he's stuttering and backing down the steps, s-s-s-sir, I I I I a-a-a-pologize for waking you all up, we'll be on our w-w-way. TWO - then I rack the shotgun, at this point he says f-it and turns around and hauls-a*s towards the car. He gets in and next thing I hear is the car's motor bouncing off the rev-limiter, tires spinning and dust flying all over the place. He manages to get the car out of the ditch and they take off.

Now this is when it gets scary.....

You gotta understand, this all happened in a span of 30-45 seconds. It felt like forever, but it was over in a flash. Did they know I was there? Did I surprise them as much as they did me? Did they think that Karen and Mary were home alone and they were going to rape them, kill them??? Finally my other next-door neighbor comes over and tells me that the car was sitting in my driveway with the engine and lights off for over an hour! When the cops arrive then proceed to tell me that about 90-minutes earlier there was a gas-station robbed in town, and they were chasing a car matching the description of the one in my driveway when they lost it in the night. They were prob hiding-out in my driveway waiting for the heat to die down and decided it was cool when they got stuck in my ditch. The cops caught them minutes later....

Takeaways:

1) I'm glad I didn't have to shoot anyone. Really glad. I then knew in my heart I would have, and could have pulled the trigger. That was a huge learning experience for me. It kinda scared me.

2) I could have left the door closed, someone denting my door is better than denting my head. I could have let the cops do their job.

3) Karen and Mary told me I was staying over permanently moving forward, and they wanted me to keep a gun in the house (Mary was somewhat gun-shy before this event)

4) The sound of a shotgun racking is absolutely an excellent deterrent.

5) I didn't sleep the rest of the night haha.

6) The cops all wanted to play with my shotgun (it's kinda cool, it's all souped up and has all sorts of bells-and-whistles on it) and basically told me that I needed a pat on the back for defending myself, the girls, and my property. They then reminded me that you only shoot if you feel that your life is in danger, and in these circumstances, 4 people luring me outside could have ended MUCH worse.

Sorry it's so long-winded...I wanted to make it as accurate as possible.
    SiVisPacem likes this.

2. Remove Ads

4) The sound of a shotgun racking is absolutely an excellent deterrent.
    I have seen some people quick to pooh pooh this. They are usually people who have not seen its effect in real life.
    OD* likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Holy crap! I bet he filed his pants!

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I have seen some people pooh pooh this. They are usually people who have not seen its effect in real life.
    I definitely think there is some truth to this however I've also been involved in gun store conversations where the employee said "just the sound of racking a shotgun will send that rapist running out of his shoes."

However, it is one hell of an intimidating noise.

No matter how good something is, there is virtually always someone who will try to exaggerate it.

There is more than some truth to it.
    OD* likes this.

Hey, you did what you had to do...nice reaction on your part. Sounded like a bad thing looking for a place to happen.
    Congrats on your response!
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My takeaways from this story with a "happy" ending are these:
    - Have a gun.
    - Anticipate that a pounding on your door at an ungodly hour is not to bring you good news, and constitutes a likelihood of a threat.
    - A "command presence" (i.e., an angry armed resident yelling back that he's not about to do the door-pounder's bidding) is an effective deterrent.

Perhaps the one thing I would advise doing differently is having the gun ready to go when the door was opened. Racking the pump gun worked in this case, but in the span of the time it took the OP to chamber a round in the pump gun, a determined and armed BG could have pulled his own weapon and killed him.

But all's well that ends well. The OP is (presumabley) happily married, and the straight-laced older sister had a real-life SHTF education. Bonus points awarded because the OP was the manly-man there to protect their butts. (I get those from my 50-something lady because she knows I'm prepared.)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    That's wild. Great story. I had three incidents vaguely similar to those (woken up middle of the night).

1. I'm sleeping and hear squealing tires and a loud bang - long story short, BG has careened down the street (I'm at the bottom of a hill which turns left at my house), and slammed his car into my maple tree with a 3-foot diameter trunk (it ain't moving), missed the turn and this cop who lives up the street runs down and collars the guy. He found the guy's handgun in the wreckage. I almost went outside but it was over pretty quickly. I had no guns in the house or anything defensive. Coulda been facing a crazy guy with a gun if not for the cop running down in his jammies.

2. I'm sleeping and hear a bang and hear a truck go by and then hear grinding and motor revving in my back yard. Some dimwit has backed his tow truck into my driveway during a snowstorm and slid off the driveway and all the way back to the back fence on the side yard. Scared the crap outta me. No guns involved. The tow company refused to repair the damage to my back yard - he got stuck and they had to send another truck to winch him out.

3. I'm sitting up at 3am and hear more tires squealing and a bang and go running to the door. Some guy has missed the turn, bounced off the maple tree, gouged deep tracks in my yard and missed my (ex)wife's car parked at the curb, slid around my dogwood tree and narrowly missed my Blazer parked perpendicularly in the driveway and back out into the street at about 45mph on a 25 mph street and I hear him squealing tires out the development onto the main highway. The cops came by, looked at the gouges, seemed disinterested, didn't want to take photos or anything. No idea if they caught anyone. A foot or two either side and the cars woulda been totaled or he'd have been in my living room. No guns involved, though I'da beat him with my ugly stick if he'd have gotten out of his car. He was gone in 30 seconds. Never figured why the cops just didn't care to take a report or pics.

---
    (Other strange one, this guy wrapped in cloth bandages under his clothes forces his way into my apt (prior to having my house). Call the cops. They won't take a report and spend the WHOLE TIME playing with their walkie-talkies. Meanwhile on the other side of the building the guy is forcing his way into this co-ed's apartment. They left after doing nothing, presumably to get replacement gear. )

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Good job! On prevailing and defending yourself and girls, and debriefing yourself afterward. The only thing I would point out is issuing ultimatums (ultimata?) takes away your options. Shut the door and let them pound away while the cops get closer.Then, if they break in and you wind up shooting, it's even more clearly self-defense. All around, good job!
    Eagleks likes this.

I have seen some people quick to pooh pooh this. They are usually people who have not seen its effect in real life.
    i was on the wrong end of this once, need clean panties afterwards

Good that you were armed. It gave you options and a means to defend yourself.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

As long as you're prepared to pull the trigger after you rack it, I see no problem in hoping the intimidation factor works. If I were sneaking & peaking inside a house and I heard that sound, I know I'd probably wet myself.

Personally, I feel it is a pretty effective deterrent, but I don't or won't count on it. If it does deter, great, but if it doesn't, you must be prepared for what's next.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Oddly, or maybe not so, the cops seem to be more accepting of homeowners having a shotgun than a pistol. I guess they see the shotgun, though more 'lethal' as defensive. Agree on the shutting the door, making them break in, but, 1) your method worked so you can't second guess success and 2) closing the door means you're sitting behind it but no longer can see what's happening so that's bad.

Hope it helped you to vent a little. That's one reason to have forums like this. :) Thumbs up for controlling yourself and for sharing that we may learn from real-life events recapping.

VIP Member
    Actually you don't need to hear it rack just look down the business end of one. I know from experience!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

So do I. With the muzzle lying up side of your nose with your eye looking down it, its like a tunnel you could climb in if you didn't know there'd be a freight train coming from the other way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links