The Ultimate reality show, hypothetical of course

This is a discussion on The Ultimate reality show, hypothetical of course within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods if this is not the right spot for this please move it to whereever. The following is a completely hypothetical scenario and obviously could/would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Ultimate reality show, hypothetical of course

VIP Member

Mods if this is not the right spot for this please move it to whereever.

The following is a completely hypothetical scenario and obviously could/would never happen in real life, or could it, but it will make you think about your choices in weapons and tactics.

Since reality shows are so popular I thought this might stir the imagination a bit.

You are in a group of persons involved in a competition, the grand prize is your life.

You and your opponent(s) will enter a large warehouse the size of a stadium football field. Contained in the warehouse are barriers that offer both cover and concealment. There are three levels with staircases connecting each. The playing field is set up like a small town with some shops, restaurants and even a small mall. There is enough room that streets have been set up and there are one or two vehicles roaming around. There will be non combatant players on the field with roles as grocery clerks, waiters, cashiers and so on. Kinda like a real life Hogan's Alley. There will be hours of darkness and daylight, cold, heat, rain, snow, rude people, kids, a small school just as in the real world.

To begin the game you will be basically picked up off the street with what you have on you at that time, gun, knife, ammo, OC and so on, no going home to rearm and reequip. You are armed with your choice of any handgun suitable for CC or OC that you currently use, any caliber any mag/cylinder capacity.
    You can carry it in any manner that adheres to you state laws/personal preference regarding CC/OC. You will carry the way you do in real life, round chambered/unchambered, extra ammo or not and so on. You will be restricted to the amount of ammunition that you would normally carry. Not 12 extra mags or speedloaders, no battlefield pickups, no changing weapons for the game if you carry an LCR daily then that is what you are stuck with.
    The weapons are real and the ammunition is live this is truly a fight for your life. There is no time limit as the scenario will continue until a winner is decided. Ammunition will be replaced as needed. You will simply carry on a normal lifestyle with a small room as your residence and a job in the warehouse city.

The object of the match is simple, survive the lethal force encounter with the equipment, training and mindset that you have right now. You will always be labeled the good guy, the other player will always be the bad guy unless something goes wrong and you shoot/injure the wrong person or make a bad judgement call and shoot to soon or otherwise do something the more liberal players see as wrong. The weapon must remain concealed/holstered until the bad guy will make his move at which time you will engage him or her.

Who your opponent is will not be known until he/she makes his move and they will be carrying concealed unless it is of course one of the super criminals/fanatic/terrorist that shows up with lots of mags and a high capacity whatever and starts shooting. You will not know who they are but if you OC they obviously know who you are. Your adversaries will be taken straight from the county jails and prisons around the states. Their prize is freedom and whatever they can take from you if they win.

If they are a druggy and they win, they get a buffet of whatever they want and continue on to the next round. Do they just want your money and stuff? It will be puchased at top dollar with no questions asked at the warehouse pawn shop and they to continue on to the next round. Are they just a sociopath with a don't care attitude and want to kill you because they can? If they win they get whatever they want and continue on to the next round. As stated on occasion there will be super bad guys who simply show up with a firearm, either a large capacity pistol or rifle, and start shooting just because they can. What will you do then?
    Are they gonna run at the sight of your OC holstered handgun, or target you first? Is your method of CC going to pass the test or will they spot you right off and you become their next victim? Will your current level of training and SA let your survive or simply be a well armed victim?

Each week you will be faced with a training challenge. Everyday things that are taught at SD schools, seminars like SA, marksmanship, weapons safety, in other words things you should already know and practice since you have taken the responsibility to carry and use a firearm. Should you pass the test you are exempt from elimination should you fail you end up in the bad part of the warehouse with your current firearm and attitude facing the ultimate competitor, the psycopath who does not care. He does not care about rules, laws, how shiny your new custom sidearm is, or how you have read every SD book on the market and taken part in the internet discussion about the new Guns and Ammo poll.

For the game you are the only person you have to protect by the rules, whomever you choose to protect is up to you think of these people you protect as alliances who can help you keep an eye out for the bad guys.
    Remember though just like life there are no flip charts, policies, procedures or rules governing the game past what has already been mentioned. You are allowed to become involved in anothers scenario should you choose to without penalty, but you shoot the wrong person, miss and hit a bystander you lose by default but your opponent is not bound by those same rules.

The questions that need to be answered are simple.

What are you going to carry, why are you going to carry it, and how are you going to deploy it.
    Try to describe your SA on the playing field. You may be required to justify your answers by others. Make no mistake even though this scenario is a game your life hangs in the balance.
    What are some of the things you would look for in trying to spot the bad guys?
    If you are a proponent of OC would you change for the game? Would your choice of weapons change from a pocket gun to a larger frame handgun?
    Remember just like real life the shots may be from 3 feet or line of sight from where the bad guys engage you from you do not have the luxury of choosing when, where or at what distance the fight starts. What have you trained for and what are your capabilities or limits in both your training and choice of weapons? Since this is the first season of the show there are no statistics, magazines articles, or playbooks just what you already know and use everyday.

Anyways just some things to think about. Please dont answer with well I simply wouldn't play, if you dont want to answer simply dont.

For those of you that do please put some thought into it. Could be fun and informative.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    I'd opt out, since I don't do "Reality TV". Face it, there is nothing real about reality TV.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Somebody has waay too much time on their hands!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

You would likely be killed almost every time as the "bad guy" is now placed in a situation where his mission is clear and he has the time to plan and stalk you. This is a little different then the bad guy that commits a crime on the spur of the moment with no planning and no specific target. I'm not sure your Jason Bourne training and superior situational awareness skills will be enough.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    So if the bad guy puts any effort into planning the crime and thinks about what he is doing you will sucumb to his plans?

And yes I do have some time on my hands today as we have not been rocketed, knock wood, today and there have been no car bombs going off so it has been rather nice.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    So if the bad guy puts any effort into planning the crime and thinks about what he is doing you will sucumb to his plans?

And yes I do have some time on my hands today as we have not been rocketed, knock wood, today and there have been no car bombs going off so it has been rather nice.
    Sounds as though you have won today's round tacman! You get to come back and play another day!

Your game requires me to be at war, every day... I choose not to play. In your game, the odds are so against me that there is no way to "win."

I've got to:

1. Survive every day against a concentration of yegs from the prison system.
    2. Pass tests given by a variety of SD class instructors.
    3. Stay in condition RED all the time...

The rules are a bit contradictory. I have to take what I usually carry at the outset.. but you ask me what I want to carry.

I have to play by rules, the BG doesn't. While that's true in real life, I can also choose to avoid the three stupids in real life... and, IRL, if the situation is this stacked against me... outside my door is one very stuuupid place to be.

Your game does bring home one very important point: Where you, tacman, are at right now, is much like this game you invented, it is a war zone. And as in your game, there are no ROE for the enemy, where there are for you... You are truly "on the X" every day and every where you go.

We civilians are blessed that there are folks like you who, by choice, play this game every day for our country. We are very lucky. We can choose not to play today.

So thanks for that, and carry on.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post

Now I get it...I couldn't figure out why you were inventing a game about everyday civilian life...now I see that it's not something that you're living right now.
    Thanks for your sacrifice and come home safely!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    Guys not saying that the bad guys are gunning for anyone all the time. If they choose to commit a crime they do it, if they choose not to they dont simple as that just like real life.

The choice of weapons is up to you. If you have more than one you carry pick one, if you are saving for an upgrade great choose the upgrade.

I like this scenario. Its more like real life than we believe. The what ifs are the same. The worse case scenario is in your face, now what do you do. My carry gun would be my S&W 457 with 2 extra mags. I carry this weapon, because it fits into my worse case scenario training.

I think Tacman is making a point, If you wont play, are you really prepared for it in the real world. These types of events can and do happen, How ready are you. Im ready. Win, loose or draw, Im ready for the fight.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Ah my friend Harryball gets the first points of the game.

Playing, heck I'm not even going to try to read through that whole scenario. Ya lost me
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Tacman, I see your point. Harryball, yeah real life is like this, kinda. But in real life there is dilution... there are more good guys than bad guys. In this scenario you are getting espresso where every day life is just a cup of joe. Due to the size constraints, the percentage of CCW's (1) to criminals (1) in a total population of let's say 100.

How am I gonna know who the BG is... I ain't, and he won't know who I am either... so now the odds are 1 in 99 we are going to run into each other every day. The odds IRL of being killed in a firearms assault are 1 in 306 over a lifetime.

Since BG is not directed in any way, except by his own wants and needs, he will be able to rob, kill, or whatever his criminal activity is every day, for 98 days or so, if he manages to miss connecting with me until everybody else is gone... but let's assume he doesn't. I am the only player able to even have a fighting chance against this guy... the rest are innocents, and there are no cops in the scenario.

I cannot effectively protect myself by telling anyone I will help protect them, that I am able to because I am the only one with a weapon besides the BG. If I should do so, I risk having them inform on me. And, if I should survive the first week (likely) without encountering the BG, then I have a whole new BG to deal with.

So, I've thought about it, and it is not enough like real life to join in... It would be a good training exercise, but not a great reality show.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I'll play for awhile and see where and how I come out.

What are you going to carry, why are you going to carry it, and how are you going to deploy it. I will carry 2 XDsc carried mirror AIWB concealed with 14 rounds on board, 2 extra mags 18 rounds each, a folder in the right front pocket, TDI on left side just in front of the mag on that side, and a surefire light in left front pocket

Try to describe your SA on the playing field. You may be required to justify your answers by others. Make no mistake even though this scenario is a game your life hangs in the balance.
    What are some of the things you would look for in trying to spot the bad guys? I am looking for those who don't fit in, I profile everyone, look for those who seem to be to interested in me for no reason, gut feelings play big role.

If you are a proponent of OC would you change for the game? OC not my game I like to surprise people.

Would your choice of weapons change from a pocket gun to a larger frame handgun? I carry what I carry because I can conceal quite well and they are still large enough to be a true fighting gun

Remember just like real life the shots may be from 3 feet or line of sight from where the bad guys engage you from you do not have the luxury of choosing when, where or at what distance the fight starts. What have you trained for and what are your capabilities or limits in both your training and choice of weapons? If I have a down fall it will be distance, ageing eyes don't work like they did years ago.

Since this is the first season of the show there are no statistics, magazines articles, or playbooks just what you already know and use everyday. This is the reason I am so glad I found Suarez International I feel they train the common everday CC person to deal with a SHTF situation better than most schools out there. Their training is more for the winning of the gunfight than most schools while still teaching you how to shot.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    They had somethin like this already, and the winner was Adrien Brody even though the rastafarian fella with bad dental work was far more equipped. But then again, it is Adrien brody, and nobody wants to see a movie with a whiny little [CENSORED] who sings in pasta bars.

Okay, I'll play.

As I understand it I will always be facing the psycho, if I fail the weekly test, otherwise I am immune.

What are you going to carry, why are you going to carry it, and how are you going to deploy it.

92FS an it is one of my EDC choices. It is a full size weapon with the related benefits. It will be deployed from a SL Batwing. I will be carrying a 15 rd spare mag in front of my left hip behind my cell phone, oc at 8:30 and a Buck Lite 426, right rear pocket.

What are some of the things you would look for in trying to spot the bad guys?

SA will be to take in as much as possible, keeping it as low profile as possible. That will provide the greatest possibility of forewarning. Watching for criminal element tattoos. Some psychos have a definite look that I would be watching for in addition to his possible interaction with others. Also looking to spot ill concealed weapons.

If you are a proponent of OC would you change for the game?

N/A

Would your choice of weapons change from a pocket gun to a larger frame handgun?

N/A

Remember just like real life the shots may be from 3 feet or line of sight from where the bad guys engage you from you do not have the luxury of choosing when, where or at what distance the fight starts. What have you trained for and what are your capabilities or limits in both your training and choice of weapons?

I have a variety of training, experience and skills. If I post them the psycho might get a hold of the information and use it against me, especially if he should identify me.

Beyond that I would carry on with normal life, attempting to present a very low level of threat. This in my judgement will give me the best opportunity to counter a close to medium range attack. If he makes a fifty yard head shot, especially from the rear, there very little to counter that. Psychos often like to taunt their victims before killing them. I would hope that, combined with the low threat level I present, would cause an up close encounter, where I have the possibility of prevailing. The odds of any lengthy success would be small, facing that level of threat continually in an ongoing basis. Sooner or later, one would be faster, smarter, better or just luckier.

The game is essentially a death sentence.

ETA: I am mindful of something, that will probably come out later.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links