Will trigger weight matter in a defensive situation? - Page 3

Will trigger weight matter in a defensive situation?

This is a discussion on Will trigger weight matter in a defensive situation? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by helderberg I run a stock factory trigger on my carry gun for a few reasons. I do not feel I have enough ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Will trigger weight matter in a defensive situation?

Quote Originally Posted by helderberg View Post
    I run a stock factory trigger on my carry gun for a few reasons. I do not feel I have enough experience with a weapon under extreme stress. I want to have a heavier trigger so I do not discharge the gun when I do not want it to. I also have read of legal problems brought against the shooter for having a gun with a "Hair trigger" and must have been a Rambo Type looking to kill someone. For my carry gun, I will not change anything but will say that I want a good but heavy trigger that is as dependable as a machine can be. Just my two cents but then again we all have to do what we feel comfortable with.
    Be safe, Frank.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Hi there, welcome to the forum.

Have you ever read any Mas Ayoob? He discusses such RL cases and is a certified expert witness for such specifics as they apply to shootings.
    Nope. I don't buy in to that. If someone threatens my or my families life, I will end the threat. Bottom line. I will deal with the repercussions later. That's what attorney's are for. I am not saying I would act outside the law, I am saying I have been involved in a good shot and I know several friends who have as well. There were no arrests, no trips to the PD. They were ruled good kills.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JBachman View Post
    Nope. I don't buy in to that. If someone threatens my or my families life, I will end the threat. Bottom line. I will deal with the repercussions later. That's what attorney's are for. I am not saying I would act outside the law, I am saying I have been involved in a good shot and I know several friends who have as well. There were no arrests, no trips to the PD. They were ruled good kills.

Ah, the post I responded to said you had never heard of such scenarios or such RL cases. I pointed out that Mas Ayoob (and others) describe similar RL cases. They also discuss, in-depth, how they were prosecuted and how the courts/juries viewed them and ruled.

I'm glad that your experiences have been positive with the court system in gun-related cases. My response was not about how justified you are/would be in employing your firearm. It was about how it would be perceived within the legal system. If you are confident in that system, more power to you.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I get that. But, if it is ruled a good shot, how do those issues come in to play? I happen to live in Michigan. If I neutralize a threat using justified deadly force, within prescribed law, I'm fine. I have faith in that. It has happened to me. I guess the whole what if this what if that is lost on me. Now if I had shot the intruder while he was fleeing, or otherwise not posing an immediate threat, and I had a light trigger or a modified firearm... I would expect those criteria to be called in to question during a court case.

Quote Originally Posted by JBachman View Post
    I get that. But, if it is ruled a good shot, how do those issues come in to play? I happen to live in Michigan. If I neutralize a threat using justified deadly force, within prescribed law, I'm fine. I have faith in that. It has happened to me. I guess the whole what if this what if that is lost on me. Now if I had shot the intruder while he was fleeing, or otherwise not posing an immediate threat, and I had a light trigger or a modified firearm... I would expect those criteria to be called in to question during a court case.

I dont wish to beat a dead horse, so all I can say is that ALL those considerations come into play WELL before your (or whoever's) shot is ruled on. The shot/shoot is examined inch by inch, play by play, intention by intention, motive by motive, reflex by reflex, law by law, in front of a judge and jury....THEY are the ones...educated about guns or not...that decide if it was a good or a bad shoot.

I'm glad that you have faith in that system. It seems like it has served you well so far. (I hope to never find out)
    helderberg likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links