Would you shoot a pregnant woman? - Page 3

Would you shoot a pregnant woman?

This is a discussion on Would you shoot a pregnant woman? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by apvbguy you're a statistic in waiting! if you are unable to use your gun when facing a threat why carry it? Me ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Would you shoot a pregnant woman?

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    you're a statistic in waiting! if you are unable to use your gun when facing a threat why carry it?
    Me a stat, Lol thats funny, been there, used it. If you read what I posted this would the one scenario, I would have extreme trouble with.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    One scenario, and a rare one at that.

VIP Member
    Hypothetical scenarios such as this are meant to give us pause to think and consider our motivations and intentions. If they reinforce already established attitudes, so be it. If it helps to clarify ones thoughts on a particular matter that, perhaps, you have not considered before, even better.

Off the cuff answers and glib attitudes stifle the discussion. I don't recall anyone saying this was a very likely situation for any of us to find ourselves. It is just something to think about.

I see it as no different than a hostage scenario. That unborn child has no more guilt in them than an innocent bystander grabbed and used as a shield. That is the point that is glaringly obvious to me. The fact that there is no realistic way to eliminate the threat without doing harm to that "bystander" is the issue that many people have a hard time dealing with.

I want to go home at the end of the day the same as anyone. So, in all likelihood, I would probably take the shot. The big question in my mind is, how long would I hesitate, trying to find another alternative.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Administrator
    glib attitude here.

I would just shoot the gun out of her hand. Problem solved.

But, honestly HOW would you know if she was truly pregnant or if she had just shoplifted a watermelon from the supermarket?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    glib attitude here.

I would just shoot the gun out of her hand. Problem solved.

But, honestly HOW would you know if she was truly pregnant or if she had just shoplifted a watermelon from the supermarket?
    You wouldn't unless she yelled "Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant!!!" while she was pointing her gun at you.

Seriously, in the most likely situation for this scenario to take place, you would know she was pregnant because you would be the person that got her in that condition. She would be your wife or girlfriend.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    "Private Joker: How can you shoot women or children?

Door Gunner: Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Ain't war hell?"

Certainly not my sentiments, but since we are dealing in hypotheticals...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Guns don't kill; people do. Don't shoot the gun; shoot the people.

Anyone who thinks they can shoot anybody and simply walk away without being emotional distraught is kidding themselves. Took me months to get over shooting a dog. Pregnant or not, shooting anyone is going to have its effect on one's metal stability.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Its you or her. If you hesitate you will probably die, its that simple. If by chance the woman lives but the baby dies I would hope she would be charged with felony murder for causing its death.

Michael

Pregnant woman = tough call.
    Babe in arms = tougher yet.

Pregnant woman scenario... if it's a "prop" suit, then this is a semi-professional to professional criminal calculating the use of an apparent condition and a gun to get what she wants and expecting it rather immediately... would she pull the trigger failing that? This is one scenario where I'm hoping my gut tells me what to do...

Babe in arms. I'm going to be certain of my shot or give her what she wants. Or at least feign "giving in" to see if it gives me a better shot. A desperate woman, holding you up so she can feed her kid is in a desperate situation and may act irrationally... But if the kid looks nourished... I'm looking for MY opportunity to end the confrontation.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Administrator
    I wouldn't care. If she needs shot, she'll get shot. Chances are the kid doesn't have much of a chance anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah, if she was tot'n the spawn of satin.

confronted with a pregnant woman pointing a gun at him. It was a shoot/don't shoot scenario. What do you do?
    I don't know, Claim to be the daddy. Offer her a back rub. Give her what ever she wants cause she's clearly on the edge of insanity, especially if it is a summer carry.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Cool

Several years back a fellow officer and myself were talking to a women in regards to a minor complaint.

The other officer making conversation asked her when the baby was due.

There was a pregnant pause in the conversation and she said in a very irratable tone of voice, "I'm not pregnant".

She looked pregnant to me too but I had better sense than to ask. Guess you never can really tell for sure.

Slim to none chance of this happening to any of us with maybe the active LEO's having to deal with it before us "civilians".

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Not saying I wouldn't potentially have emotional issues afterward, but, shoot.

I don't care if she's pregnant, holding her baby, pushing a stroller, carrying a baby backpack. Doesn't matter.

If she's a threat that justifies deadly force, that's what's happening.

At least if you end the threat, you have an "afterward".
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Are you willing to potentially sacrifice your life for hers or the baby's? I'm not.
    I did not create the circumstances leading to the death of either.
    Old School and tcon67 like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Hey, Sigman, Is that a Cane Corso standing there?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links