Would you shoot a pregnant woman?

This is a discussion on Would you shoot a pregnant woman? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 Hey, Sigman, Is that a Cane Corso standing there? No, it's a BullMastiff....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Would you shoot a pregnant woman?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Hey, Sigman, Is that a Cane Corso standing there?
    No, it's a BullMastiff.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon View Post
    Real life: she's dead, and best of luck to Junior...
    Ditto!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Maybe it is because of my advanced years, but what does a pregnant woman have to do with saving your own life? I'm sorry, but if a gun is pointed at me, I choose my life over the other person! No question or hesitation. I hope I never have the situation arise, of course, but if it is my life vs anyone else--woman, pregnant woman, teenager, 10 year old kid, or six foot six tatooed ex-con, what the h e double hockey sticks is the difference? I'd rather live with the regret of having had to shoot someone, than be dead and have my family regret that I didn't defend myself! What is the difference if a pregnant woman kills you or if a big ugly ex con kills you? You are still just as dead!!!! I carry a gun to defend MY life and the lives of MY FAMILY members. Period. I don't debate with myself about whether or not I should defend my life because the person pointing a gun at me who wants to kill me might be carrying a baby that might grow up to become a scientist who might discover a cure for all the diseases in the universe. The baby might also grow up to be a mass murderer! End of rant, now.
    I agree. This is a good example of how we have become emotionally brainwashed. Not everything is easy, but often necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Was speaking with a fellow shooter at the gun club the other day. He did a training scenario where, for quickness of description, he was in a "bad situation" when he was confronted with a pregnant woman pointing a gun at him. It was a shoot/don't shoot scenario. What do you do?
    I hate hypothetical scenarios, but this is a no-brainer...

A person pointing a gun at me ceases being a person & simply becomes a threat. When they stop being a threat I will stop defending myself...
    If it is me or them, I choose me....
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

If the fetus is smart enough he will be using the umbilical cord to bungee jump outta hiis crazy mommas womb,about the time I use the force necessary to stop a deadly threat,
    Besides how you know she is pregnant and not sporting a fake bump
    Bark'n, tcon67 and garyacman like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If the fetus is smart enough he will be using the umbilical cord to bungee jump outta hiis crazy mommas womb...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Her or me, or one of my love ones she's gone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    To answer your question, No. I would not take the shot. I would not be able to live with myself if I killed the baby. I would try everything to calm the situation down and give her what she wants or needs. This is one, and probably the only one scenario, were I couldnt do it...
    I respect this position. To be clear, I do not share your view but I respect the fact that you posted it. In real life this scenario would really, really suck.

Not only am I a father of three super stinky little monkeys, I also have two children in Heaven that I never got a chance to meet. I'd shoot her, but it would probably eat me up inside for a long time. I would choose to survive though and carry that burden because I have a duty to my own children to come home and be their daddy.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I don't think I could knowingly shoot a pregnant woman. If shes holding a kid in her arms, thats different, shoot around the kid. But in the instance of the pregnant woman if momma dies, the kid dies. I couldn't live knowing I pulled the trigger and ended an innocent life when I took a criminals life. Its the same as firing into a crowd of people with one shooter in the crowd. I don't take the shot. I'm not about to sit here and say I could because I honestly don't think I could. I think anyone who says they wouldn't hesitate is a liar and spewing bravado. Thats just my honest opinion. I like to think I could defend myself against any threat, but in the real moment, I do not think I could pull that trigger knowing I was damning an innocent to die in the process.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Chris,

Then you would probably be dead, if her intentions were dire.

If I believed her intent was lethal, I would take the shot. It was her that intentionally put her unborn child in jeopardy, not I. She either did not care about the jeopardy that she put her unborn child in, believed that the unborn child would prevent action against her, or both. She expects me to die to preserve her child. I am not willing to do that. Whatever befalls her child as a result of her actions, rests on her, not me. She has placed me in a position that if I wish to continue living I must take undesirable and drastic action.

I believe that if the child died the death would morally fall on her. In addition, if the child died and she survived, it is not unlikely that she would be charged under Felony Murder statutes, if such were in effect in the area the incident occurred.

I understand your feelings, so it is softens the umbrage that I take to your implying that I am a liar and spewing bravado.
    JDE101 and sigmanluke like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    This is a tough one; pitting training against one of our most instinctive urges. I'd like to think I could shoot, but in this case I am less certain, which probably means that I won't.

The truth is, unless we've been in that situation before, we don't really know what we'll do until it actually happens. I've never personally been in a shooting situation but I have been in fight/don't fight situations and here is what I know. We know what we can do, or might do, but when the adrenaline kicks in and the brain goes into survival mode our training will kick in (if we've been properly trained) and we will react according to the situation at that point in time.

What I believe, based on my training and experience, extensive reading and analyzing of videos, plus, incidents I personally know of where I have spoken to the defenders about the experience(and here I'm referring to highly trained people as well as first-timers) is this:

If we've had good training we will probably find ourselves just reacting. If we've had very good training over a long period of time and/or have been in some similar situations, we may find ourselves reacting with a sense of detachment as we react, and because of this detachment may be able to decide in a twinkling to withhold the technique-in this case, a press of the trigger.

This is a situation I hope I never have to face.

In all seriousness not every situation is going to be shoot/don't shoot,if you have cover you can dive behind and defend from that would be an option
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I think anyone who says they wouldn't hesitate is a liar and spewing bravado.
    I wouldn't bet my life on that Scooter. But then my perspective is one from a guy who see's death and dying up close and personally much more than most people.

I have a responsibility to come home alive.

Also, if this were a real life situation where a woman has a gun pointed at you and threatening your life, there's a better than even chance you won't even notice that she is pregnant.

The brain, when faced with a lethal threat naturally blocks stuff like that out considering it to be superfluous and unimportant information to try to be process when facing a lethal threat.

The brain naturally tunnels and focuses on the threat, which is the gun. That is why a lot of people actually get shot in the gun hand or actually strike the gun of the bad guy when shooting because the brain is focused in on the opponents gun like a laser. That is why often times the person faced with death, can not even recall what the other person was wearing because they were focused in on the actual threat.

Your brain still see's that she is pregnant, and will imprint that image way back in your subconscious, but "in the moment" chooses not to process that information because it is unimportant for immediate survival. Instead the brain is too busy processing the "fight or flight, shoot or don't shoot" part of the equation.
    Hoganbeg, paching, tcon67 and 3 others like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    This thread reminds me of the one where the question was simply, "could you shoot a woman, or more specifically how would you feel about it?" Most answered about as bad as I would feel shooting anyone else. My (analytical) answer is the same here. When faced with a deadly threat, you stop the threat. I also think that Bark'n called it; when faced with such a threat, your focus will on on that threat.

If anyone is pointing a gun at me or my family there is no gray area. I'll pray for the infant afterwards.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links