Would you shoot a pregnant woman?

This is a discussion on Would you shoot a pregnant woman? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ladies and Gents. Yes the likelyhood of this scenario happening is very slim but who knows what will happen in todays society. I am not ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Would you shoot a pregnant woman?

VIP Member
    Ladies and Gents. Yes the likelyhood of this scenario happening is very slim but who knows what will happen in todays society. I am not knocking anyones decision or response.

Always remember.

"It matters not where the threat comes from or who presents it, man, woman, child, or animal. If it is a lethal threat to you or yours it must be ended period".

Yes you will have to deal emotionally with the aftermath but you would have to do that anyways no matter what.

Pregnant or not, child in arms or not she is representing herself as a lethal threat to you and yours. Her actions would be stopped just as quickly if she were an armed terrorist or gang banger, which she may be I don't know, all I know is she is a potential lethal threat. She chose her actions not me.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    Yes
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Okay, my first response to this thread was purely tongue and cheek, so my truthful answer if faced with this scenario would be; absolutely! If I honestly thought for one second that anyone was going to try to kill me, or one of my loved ones. Like sated above, it's their choice not mine, so I'll use overwhelming force to counter the attack. If the lady was holding a child, I'll give pause and try my best to defuse the situation, but if she's pregnant and it's obvious that she's out to do me harm, it's a upper torso shot or two and a quick call to 911 for the paramedics and the unborn child.

These types of scenarios are IMO laughable.... Think about it. If you find yourself in a situation like most of these scenarios are setup. You really should re-evaluate your life style. Just saying.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In all seriousness not every situation is going to be shoot/don't shoot,if you have cover you can dive behind and defend from that would be an option
    Thats going to be the first options I look for everytime.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I wouldn't bet my life on that Scooter. But then my perspective is one from a guy who see's death and dying up close and personally much more than most people.

I have a responsibility to come home alive.

Also, if this were a real life situation where a woman has a gun pointed at you and threatening your life, there's a better than even chance you won't even notice that she is pregnant.

The brain, when faced with a lethal threat naturally blocks stuff like that out considering it to be superfluous and unimportant information to try to be process when facing a lethal threat.

The brain naturally tunnels and focuses on the threat, which is the gun. That is why a lot of people actually get shot in the gun hand or actually strike the gun of the bad guy when shooting because the brain is focused in on the opponents gun like a laser. That is why often times the person faced with death, can not even recall what the other person was wearing because they were focused in on the actual threat.

Your brain still see's that she is pregnant, and will imprint that image way back in your subconscious, but "in the moment" chooses not to process that information because it is unimportant for immediate survival. Instead the brain is too busy processing the "fight or flight, shoot or don't shoot" part of the equation.

A very good point!

I wouldn't bet my life on that Scooter. But then my perspective is one from a guy who see's death and dying up close and personally much more than most people.

I have a responsibility to come home alive.

Also, if this were a real life situation where a woman has a gun pointed at you and threatening your life, there's a better than even chance you won't even notice that she is pregnant.

The brain, when faced with a lethal threat naturally blocks stuff like that out considering it to be superfluous and unimportant information to try to be process when facing a lethal threat.

The brain naturally tunnels and focuses on the threat, which is the gun. That is why a lot of people actually get shot in the gun hand or actually strike the gun of the bad guy when shooting because the brain is focused in on the opponents gun like a laser. That is why often times the person faced with death, can not even recall what the other person was wearing because they were focused in on the actual threat.

Your brain still see's that she is pregnant, and will imprint that image way back in your subconscious, but "in the moment" chooses not to process that information because it is unimportant for immediate survival. Instead the brain is too busy processing the "fight or flight, shoot or don't shoot" part of the equation.
    Very good points. When survival instincts take over, animal instincts take over and when that happens the only life that really matters is your own.

You make a very valid point here... and there are some excellent recent (somewhat) examples of this... The Omaha Walgreen's shooting comes to mind... one of the GG's bullets was found in the chamber of the BG's unloaded shotgun.

While we sit here and think about it... it's real hard to say we would shoot the pregnant woman... it's equally as hard to say we'd shoot the woman with babe in arms without a clear shot at her...

But the fact of the matter is, we would probably shoot at the gun pointed at us, and not even see who was aiming it. Until later when we thought about it.

If we train other than at the range, under some duress, we learn to act quickly and decisively against the threat. We should not think of the threat as a friend with a paintball gun, or a simunitions weapon, or a rubber knife.. we train against "the threat."

"The threat" becomes the target. We train to "stop the threat." In a life or death scenario, we would probably all shoot the pregnant woman if we felt "the threat" was valid. Maybe that's what I meant when I said I hope my gut tells me what to do... In the case of the babe in arms, I would hope that I would be cognizant enough to avoid hitting the child.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    To the officer/DA..."Oh my god!!! She was pregnant!!! All I could tell was that she was pointing a gun at face and I did what I had to do."

Problem solved.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    If I noticed that she was pregnant, no, I wouldn't. But I wouldn't stop to ask her what the results of her last pregnancy test were, either.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Some of you replied with excuses why you would not shoot this woman. I understand your points, but when you are dead will it make you feel better? Remember the situations in Vietnam when little children would come up to our military--so innocent and cute---except for the bomb they were going to explode once they were near you. Explain away that one to the men who died "because they were just little children".

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Yes...two in the head then call 911.

Shoot!
    ...T. Ray

I guess I would shoot. As far as the unborn baby, if the mother lives she will most likely lose custody of the child. Assuming the woman is a baby popping machine that uses crime sprees to finance her proscuitiy you may actually help this child to a better life.

Yes. The aftermath would suck though.

IMO, under the stress of having a gun pointed at me, my last though is going to be a baby. If it were a slow evolving situation, I might have time to give a clear assessment and make a better or worse decision. In a fast moving scenario, I would likely default to self-defense.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links