Defensive Carry banner

Would you shoot a pregnant woman?

8K views 76 replies 55 participants last post by  Toorop 
#1 ·
Was speaking with a fellow shooter at the gun club the other day. He did a training scenario where, for quickness of description, he was in a "bad situation" when he was confronted with a pregnant woman pointing a gun at him. It was a shoot/don't shoot scenario. What do you do?

#2 ·
If it's a very clear me or her situation and I have no other choice, she's going down and 911 is getting a call do hopefully save the baby, it would only change my 'center of mass' location personally.

Would definitely add to the emotional distress, then and the rest of my life - but I have a wife and kids of my own that take priority over her and hers. If a pregnant woman is this much of a criminal, the baby doesn't have much of a future anyway in most cases.

Truth is, it's easy to sit and ponder what you think you'd do in any situation... when reality hits (hope it never does) I'll probably get shot in the back trying to decide when/if it's the right time to act.

#4 ·
It would definitely make me hesitate, which would give her the advantage. If she shoots, I hope she misses, and I assume I would react then. I hope this never happens.

#5 ·
That is one of those scenarios you think about, and pray you are never actually in.

I could be cavalier and say I would shoot no matter what. However, that unborn child would weigh so heavily on me that I honestly believe I might take my chances and try to physically disarm the woman. Of course, I know that is the height of stupidity. I don't have an acceptable answer.

#6 ·
Listen, she told you plain as could be when she woke you up at 2:00am that she wanted Pickles AND ice cream!! You put yourself in that situation. :)

All seriousness though, that would be a ROUGH situation. I have to concur with the thought above by Thunder71. I can't think of a plausible situation where a pregnant woman would be pointing a gun unless she was up to no good originally (robbing a bank) in which she put herself and her child in that circumstance which makes the situation a little easier to process. On the other hand, if it was just me and an obviously emotionally stressed and hormonally imbalanced lady, then chances are she has no intent on actually using the weapon and I would make every effort to talk her down, and let the cards fall where they may.

#7 ·
Maybe it is because of my advanced years, but what does a pregnant woman have to do with saving your own life? I'm sorry, but if a gun is pointed at me, I choose my life over the other person!:blink: No question or hesitation. I hope I never have the situation arise, of course, but if it is my life vs anyone else--woman, pregnant woman, teenager, 10 year old kid, or six foot six tatooed ex-con, what the h e double hockey sticks is the difference? I'd rather live with the regret of having had to shoot someone, than be dead and have my family regret that I didn't defend myself! What is the difference if a pregnant woman kills you or if a big ugly ex con kills you? You are still just as dead!!!!:rolleyes: I carry a gun to defend MY life and the lives of MY FAMILY members. Period. I don't debate with myself about whether or not I should defend my life because the person pointing a gun at me who wants to kill me might be carrying a baby that might grow up to become a scientist who might discover a cure for all the diseases in the universe. The baby might also grow up to be a mass murderer! End of rant, now.:yup:

#9 ·
I do not think I would even notice her condition as I would be focused on the gun. It's a split second decision, I see gun I shoot.

Reactions: Anubis
#10 ·
This is like asking "would you shoot your mom" or "would you shoot a baby seal that was pointing a gun at you".

"Shoot / No Shoot" scenarios are designed for one to be able to quickly assess whether a candidate target is a lethal threat or not. Not whether they are pregnant, how old they are, or how sincere they are.

#16 ·
Agreed. I think we are meant to assume that we KNOW she is pregnant.

Now, to play devil's advocate for a moment. What if the woman were holding her infant in one arm and pointing a gun at you with the other?

Would you still take the shot, knowing it is entirely possible you may hit the infant?

Now, can you tell me what the difference is?

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I would like some help with my own thinking on this.

#15 ·
He who hesitates is lost.

Deadly threat requires a deadly response.

Shooting a deadly threat that happens to be pregnant would not cause hesitation but the aftermath may be a bit more thought provoking.

#17 ·
Depends on the shot I had I guess... if there were a good chance I could get a clean shot off, maybe.

The difference is that now you're dealing with a known innocent human being. Would be no different than a bullet going through your attacker and hitting an innocent person, you're responsible = murder/manslaughter.

#21 ·
Shoot Mama between the eyes in a diving barrel roll, and then perform an emergency Kershaw-Cesarean!

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV... as long as we're just making up steaming piles of crap! :rolleyes:

Real life: she's dead, and best of luck to Junior...

Reactions: tcon67
#28 ·
Nothing to debate. She's got a gun in hand, then she is a threat. The fact that it is a female and pregnant doesn't come into play, just like her age wouldn't either. If I feel my life is in danger, I'm shooting.

#33 ·
Hypothetical scenarios such as this are meant to give us pause to think and consider our motivations and intentions. If they reinforce already established attitudes, so be it. If it helps to clarify ones thoughts on a particular matter that, perhaps, you have not considered before, even better.

Off the cuff answers and glib attitudes stifle the discussion. I don't recall anyone saying this was a very likely situation for any of us to find ourselves. It is just something to think about.

I see it as no different than a hostage scenario. That unborn child has no more guilt in them than an innocent bystander grabbed and used as a shield. That is the point that is glaringly obvious to me. The fact that there is no realistic way to eliminate the threat without doing harm to that "bystander" is the issue that many people have a hard time dealing with.

I want to go home at the end of the day the same as anyone. So, in all likelihood, I would probably take the shot. The big question in my mind is, how long would I hesitate, trying to find another alternative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.