How would you handle this -- Mob Attack In Home

This is a discussion on How would you handle this -- Mob Attack In Home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading the article, I think his biggest/first mistake was stepping out on the porch to try and calm the situation. In that scenario, there ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: How would you handle this -- Mob Attack In Home

After reading the article, I think his biggest/first mistake was stepping out on the porch to try and calm the situation. In that scenario, there most likely would NOT have been any calming to the mob. As soon as he got into the house, he acted correctly in trying to position his family in as safe an area as possible. His next reaction should have been dialing 911 or instructing his wife to dial 911 as he armed himself. After that it's a waiting game, until either the authorities arrive or the home is breached. If the home is breached, then fight with every means available, whether it be pistol, AR, shotgun, or combination of all the above. You fight until the threat is stopped or until you no longer have the ability to resist and you meet your demise. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm going to go clean my 870p now.
    Copy that. Seems like there would have been time to go visit the safe, and I think in those circumstances the wife gets the shotgun and I'm grabbing the M4gery. There might be enough to get me in a rush, but I'm thinking quite a few of their side won't be attending the victory party.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Most homes have a choke point at or near the front door, if they kick the door in use the choke point to pile up the bodies even with a 5 shot snubby.

In my thinking, to make a stand against a mob you have to out gun them in a tight choke point.

In Texas even your yard is considered a part of your area of protection for yourself and others against attack, and is a justified area of defense.

Point is in Texas the home owner could have cleared the mob out that was a threat even in his yard.

If I could not have handled the situation by my self, my wife would not hesitate to put the mob down.
    That's the way it is in Ky. I'm glad we are one of the gun friendliest states in the union. Here there is no duty to retreat, we have the castle doctrine and the threat only has to be a reasonable perceived threat. In Ky, you dont have to wait till they kick the door down and come in. You can shoot through the door and be justified.Oh, and by the way....we have some of the lowest violent crime rates in nation too. Wonder why????

12ga slugs make a through and through wound on deer. I believe a 12 ga deployed correctly would handle the situation if it ever arose. The article drives home the point that the home owner must have a weapon loaded and ready. Locked in the safe/unloaded doesnt cut it. We havent had home invasions in our rural setting, does'nt mean it cant happen though.

mel
    I'm sorry, but aren't the police supposed to handle situations like this? Alright, I'll stop, but my question is this; When the hell do we say enough is enough?

I feel bad for the guy but seems to me the main points are:
    - don't bring strangers into your house (probably he could not have helped it at the point they ran to him)
    - don't leave your family when there is a mob upstairs and certainly don't leave your house to quiet them.

Honestly, walking out on the porch, he was one well thrown brick away from being unconcious and leaving his family defenseless. If the police arrive late, then who knows how bad things could have gotten.

Not sure about firing assault rifles out the front door into a mob in this case. Probably will overpenetrate at that distance and kill or injure someone who wasn't inside the house right? Murphy's law says that someone will be a pregnant teen holding her 3 year old child who happens to be an honors student and who everyone in the mob will testify wasn't even on the porch and was a 3rd party who was trying her best to stop the violence. You might prevail in court, might not. You would surely get to spend a whole lotta money on lawyers to find out though. I don't know much about the castle doctrine other than if you invite strangers into your house as they are being chased by a mob, then want to invoke castle, man you are really walking on the edge if they happen to be fugitives, have committed a crime, or have instigated or provoked members of the mob... which in this case the mob will claim they did... so castle might be tossed out completely right?

Would think the best option is to stay upstairs close to family, with weapon, firing downward at anyone coming up. At least that seems to involve the least chance of collateral damage right? I have no applicable training but that is what I would think I would do at the moment.

The other big take home point for me is security system and cameras. I would have trouble picking youths out of a line-up after getting punched and hit with a pipe and struggling for my life with an armed teen. A few exterior cameras would seem to do wonders for the police to help make sure some sort of justice is served for all those involved. Especially if he had not been so lucky and wound up dead or with head trauma.

If it took place in my place: If it came to them coming in after knocking the door down (police would have been called earlier) the first thing they would have seen is my 1911 in hand, in their direction and guns in the hands of any other member of the family or proven friend that may have been there at the time.

I suspect this would have caused a mass exodus, el pronto/ big time. If not, loud noises would be heard to incite the exodus!

Sadly some may have ended up spending the rest of their lives there.

I hope i am wrong, but it seems to me that this family is in grave danger.

Wife needs to get serious about defense and shooting and maybe even get out of town before it starts over and the house is burned in the middle of the night.

Also I would not count on police to do much to defend this family,

Life will ever be changed for this family in ways they have not even thought of yet.

I pray for this family and the little ones who are now in danger!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

In my last house we often kept the AR-15 sitting at the end of the sofa during waking hours, as well as carrying our pistols.

I admit that since moving to my new house, I really haven't had the AR-15 out much. But then again, don't really have the need like at my last house. Plus all the entrances to the home are much more heavily fortified than at the last house.

Still, my wife and I both have handguns on us all the time and the AR-15 and shotgun are both in the bedroom with easy access. I also keep pretty good tabs on crime in my town. If I ever feel the need, the AR will come back out into the living area once again.

Anyone who attends a defensive carbine course will learn/know that having an AR-15 for the home is definitely not overkill, and in many ways, more advantageous than a shotgun.

The carbine is easier to wield in close quarters with a collapsible stock making it easier to maintain control of in a gun grab/disarming attempt situation. More ammo capacity, quicker reloads, less recoil, and quicker follow-up shots. Also, contrary to common beliefs, with the proper ammo, there is less over-penetration risk than most common 12 ga buck shot or slugs.

While my wife can definitely shoot the 12 ga. Mossberg well, she prefers the AR-15 much more for all the above reasons, not the least of which, is trying to maintain control of the weapon if someone tried to disarm her. She just doesn't wield the 12 ga. as well as our Colt Govt. Carbine.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    This isn't a brain-teaser for me.

This would be my reaction as well....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1984
    I don't know much about the castle doctrine other than if you invite strangers into your house as they are being chased by a mob, then want to invoke castle, man you are really walking on the edge if they happen to be fugitives, have committed a crime, or have instigated or provoked members of the mob... which in this case the mob will claim they did... so castle might be tossed out completely right?
    This raises an interesting point. Normally, one has the right to defend another if that person meets the requirements of self defense. Furthermore, by acting to defend them, if they have forfeit the right of self defense, say for example being an instigator, you may be charged with a crime, including murder for defending them. Defending someone else is always a risky proposition and unless you have first hand knowledge of the circumstances is often times best avoided.

On the other hand, I don't know of any location that allows vigilante mob justice. Taking the juveniles into his home and calling the authorities, I think would be considered to be the proper course of action, especially as a means to prevent a violent crime. Even if the youths had committed a crime, the proper course of action would be to report it to the police and let hem investigate, which the mob failed to do and the homeowner did. While I am not a lawyer and haven't studied the legal nuances here, at the point where the mob broke down the door, it seems pretty obvious to me that the situation changed. They have now clearly committed a violent felony, pose a clear and present danger via being armed, and expressed an intent to commit another violent act. Also, in many locations, there is a distinct legal difference between your 'castle' area and a public area and one has a much clearer and more comprehensive right to a claim of defense in their 'castle' area.
    Bark'n likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Stuff like this is one of the reasons why I have reserve ammo and mags for each of my guns. And if worse comes to worse, I have my AR-15 as well.

They come through my door uninvited......a whole new meaning to "Glock Shooting Sports".

Bark'n, tcon67, joker1 and 1 others like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

A nice pair of pistols there zonk!

Nothing like commonality between the primary and BUG. Makes things easy.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I know my bulldog would take a few id reach for my knife while holding the door and leaving my girlfriend time to hide my mother and load a few rifles.
    I play well with others just not large crowds of others.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links