Defensive Carry banner

How would you handle this -- Mob Attack In Home

9K views 94 replies 61 participants last post by  Kahnkem 
#1 ·
I used question having my EDc on me or close by while at home until I read this article on Drudge. The homeowner needs to rethink his home security....what are your thougts on how you would have handled this situation.

Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house | Philadelphia Daily News | 09/27/2011

I'm thinking that as soon as they kicked in the door, they would have seen the business end of my AR-15 with a chambered round ahead of 29 other rounds or at least the speaking end of a 12 ga shotgun? Would the AR-15 be going a little overboard?

#2 ·
I know one thing. When I read stories like this I am glad I live in Ky. Things like that just would not happen here without some very serious consequences. As for your question of whether the AR would be going overboard. In this instance I dont think ANYTHING would have been overboard.

#48 ·
Agree to that brother. Lotta POS that thrive in "anywhere else America", would be found face down in a creek or cornfield round these parts.

But a better question that is opposite of the OPs question of what would I do, is, what would the mob do when their brain matter started to scatter.... when I open up on the first in line.

#3 ·
Cross the threshold @ my house and receive as many 9mm hollowpoints as I can sling. Shotty or AR-15 would be even more effective. I would be in fear for my family's safety and would act accordingly.
Be prepared for the backlash. The victim didn't even fight back w/ a weapon and is being threatened by thug's family. People get extremely stupid and aggressive when in a group like that.

Reactions: tcon67
#6 ·
What's clear here is that the attackers have NO fear of the rule of law, and based on the actions of the "mother of the juvenile" this is well into its second generation. What absolutely miserable human trash.

I think the homeowner did pretty well getting his family to safety upstairs, but I'd probably act as the OP suggested... greet the "guests" with a long gun ready. No, I don't think an AR is too much, if there is truly a mob outside and not just 2 or 3 miscreants. I'd prefer the security of 28 rounds and a spare mag in my pocket to 4-8 rounds and slowish reloads with the shotgun. My ARs are also more compact and maneuverable indoors than my 18-inch barreled 870.

#7 ·
Ugh.. this is a tough one. I don't know if this man owned a gun or not. But even if he did, it sounds like he wouldn't have had time to get it if he wasn't already carrying it. This is another example of why it is not a bad idea to be wearing a gun in your home like I do often.

I can also say they would have had some difficulty kicking my door down. My guess is that this guy's door had a standard striker plate that just attaches to a piece of trim wood. Not to say a mob wouldn't be able to eventually kick it in, or break a window. But my door would have given me enough time to grab a gun.

I'm also amazed that the police responded that quickly. They must have already been in the neighborhood.

I also think whoever it was that hit the homeowner with a pipe needs to face charges of attempted murder.

#10 ·
Sounds like a job for a GLOCK 9x19 pistol and a 30 round magazine. I would not have gone inside and then went back outside unarmed, there is no reasoning once the pack mentality kicks in. I would have went inside secured the door, secured the family, armed myself (if already armed, grab some extra ammo), and waited inside for the police to show. If they busted in there would be no scuffling only flying lead.

#11 ·
I am not going outside and I am protecting my family. I put 3" screws in my hinges and doors knob/deadbolt, so it takes a few kicks to open my door(someone tried before and gave up after 3 kicks) So, I would have time to get any of my guns, but I carry at home, so not really an issue

#15 ·
Wow crazy stuff :aargh4:

Very glad the twins are Ok .

Prayers for family.

If he hasn't purchased a gun already then he should. Most likely his wife is demanding they move yesterday!

I hope the father will think about if not already being armed
If he hasn't purchased a gun already then he should. Most likely his wife is demanding they move yesterday!

#16 ·
My Rem 870 with 00 buck, backed up by my Kimber .45. We have "castle doctrine" here in Ohio.:yup: They enter my house, the threat gets "stopped".:smile:

#18 ·
In a case like that, or any home invasion as far as that goes, I'd forgo the AR unless it was the only thing available. My first choice would be a 12 gauge pump loaded with 00 buckshot. You'll take out 1 if not more with the first shot. The mob mentality is that they are anonymous. Seeing someone in the mob hitting the ground from a full load of shot will turn them into the sniveling cowards they are.

#32 ·
Copy that. Seems like there would have been time to go visit the safe, and I think in those circumstances the wife gets the shotgun and I'm grabbing the M4gery. There might be enough to get me in a rush, but I'm thinking quite a few of their side won't be attending the victory party.

#21 ·
This is the reason my AR has 2 30rnd mags loaded w/HP .223 ammo and is always at the ready. Texas has a castle doc so the second someone crosses the threshold I start building a pile of dead BGs. I figure that by the time I am having to reload the pile should be big enough to block most of the doorway and allow me enough time to reload.

This is (unfortunately) becoming more and more common. I absolutely hate hearing about these stories, but facts are facts, and I will protect my family until my last breath on this earth, even if that means taking out someone else's teenage son. And I couldn't care less what race or color they are, white bodies stack up the same as black or brown at my doorway.

OpJ

#23 ·
While the victim handled this at the lowest level possible, I would bet that it is not over.

Unless the community comes to the aid/defense of the victim, he will have to move sooner or later. It is not possible for an individual who must earn a living to protect his home/family 24/7.

#24 ·
While the victim handled this at the lowest level possible, I would bet that it is not over. Unless the community comes to the aid/defense of the victim, he will have to move sooner or later. It is not possible for an individual who must earn a living to protect his home/family 24/7.
Unfortunately, I suspect that you are correct. There will undoubtedly be a racially motivated retaliation at some point. At a minimum, it will be little things, here and there, and a "nobody saw nuttin".
As far as the incident goes, this is one of those cases where even in states without castle doctrine in place (e.g. NC until 12-1), that an SD shooting would be pretty clear cut: armed mob kicks down door of family home to attack an otherwise uninvolved 3rd party for harboring two juveniles who were going to be mauled by the mob.

#26 ·
Go big or go home use to be the saying, now I would suspect that it would be "go big while at home"

#27 ·
This will continue until we take our country back. This liberal, political correctness, and everyone is special has got to stop. We need to put teeth in the laws and their needs to be minimum jail time for this type of behavior. Surely they can come up with more than 3 people that had something to do with it. Wonder why our great liberal press didn't cover this. And how about the lack of coverage from Denver, Philidelphia, Chicago concerning these gangs that are targeting whites. What a different country we have now.

Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth. Teddy Roosevelt

#29 ·
this is happening more and more often.....what needs to happen EQUALLY as often is these thugs bust down a homeowners door and all of them get ventilated with his weapon of choice.........

pistol, shotgun, AR15, whatever.......i don't believe there is such a thing as going "overboard" in todays criminal climate

#30 ·
Most homes have a choke point at or near the front door, if they kick the door in use the choke point to pile up the bodies even with a 5 shot snubby.

In my thinking, to make a stand against a mob you have to out gun them in a tight choke point.

In Texas even your yard is considered a part of your area of protection for yourself and others against attack, and is a justified area of defense.

Point is in Texas the home owner could have cleared the mob out that was a threat even in his yard.

If I could not have handled the situation by my self, my wife would not hesitate to put the mob down.

#33 ·
That's the way it is in Ky. I'm glad we are one of the gun friendliest states in the union. Here there is no duty to retreat, we have the castle doctrine and the threat only has to be a reasonable perceived threat. In Ky, you dont have to wait till they kick the door down and come in. You can shoot through the door and be justified.Oh, and by the way....we have some of the lowest violent crime rates in nation too. Wonder why????

#31 ·
After reading the article, I think his biggest/first mistake was stepping out on the porch to try and calm the situation. In that scenario, there most likely would NOT have been any calming to the mob. As soon as he got into the house, he acted correctly in trying to position his family in as safe an area as possible. His next reaction should have been dialing 911 or instructing his wife to dial 911 as he armed himself. After that it's a waiting game, until either the authorities arrive or the home is breached. If the home is breached, then fight with every means available, whether it be pistol, AR, shotgun, or combination of all the above. You fight until the threat is stopped or until you no longer have the ability to resist and you meet your demise. JMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.