A scenario -- responding to insults

This is a discussion on A scenario -- responding to insults within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kinda like somebody calls you up and threatens you,you tell him I'm right here come on over,he shows up and you shoot him claiming SD,you ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: A scenario -- responding to insults

Kinda like somebody calls you up and threatens you,you tell him I'm right here come on over,he shows up and you shoot him claiming SD,you are in deep doo doo since you escalated the confrontation and provoked him
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    They are just telling you that you are #1! Yay!
    fragmatic likes this.

One of the best things I read (from another forum) was:
    "When you holster your gun, leave your ego in the safe."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Get back to basics. "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm me". If words do not harm you they are not imminent threats, which is the pretty much the only reason to even think about your CC firearm.

EdC
    Another way I have heard it said:
    "You can carry a gun or carry a temper; you can't carry both."
    gunsnroses, 9MMare and swiftyjuan like this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    This is a great thread and people are hitting all around the basic idea but nobody's really hit the bullseye.

Here it is - and this is a hard won, hard learned lesson.

You're doing an activity, enjoying yourself. Somebody gets you in a tizzy. If you let that thought take hold, guess what? You are no longer enjoying your day. You are filled with other thoughts. Anger, resentment, pity, even good stuff like making fun of someone being mad.

NONE OF THIS IS of your original intent. It has ALL prevented you from enjoying the activity you had been engaged in...say riding your bike or bird watching.

HOW stupid we all are that we let our emotions prevent us from being happy. We are truly our own worst enemy when we let thoughts intrude, and yet it's almost impossible. Note I said 'almost'.

So the reason you don't flip the bird, get mad, start something is more because you don't want to lose your center, your mastery of your 'self' than that 'you'd better not, you'll go to jail'.

Why? Because the route to inner peace and being centered comes from INSIDE - it is not external (i.e. note how silly it is to TELL someone not to be upset. That never works. But if they can learn to be calm from inside it always works).

So all the answers showing how you must not engage a hostile are correct, but the true root of it is self-mastery and enjoyment of the moment that you were in and not being 'disturbed'. That's my take, anyhow.
    noway2, 9MMare, GreyGhost and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    This is a great thread and people are hitting all around the basic idea but nobody's really hit the bullseye.

You're doing an activity, enjoying yourself. Somebody gets you in a tizzy. If you let that thought take hold, guess what? You are no longer enjoying your day. You are filled with other thoughts. Anger, resentment, pity, even good stuff like making fun of someone being mad.

NONE OF THIS IS of your original intent. It has ALL prevented you from enjoying the activity you had been engaged in...say riding your bike or bird watching.

HOW stupid we all are that we let our emotions prevent us from being happy. We are truly our own worst enemy when we let thoughts intrude, and yet it's almost impossible. Note I said 'almost'.

So the reason you don't flip the bird, get mad, start something is more because you don't want to lose your center, your mastery of your 'self' than that 'you'd better not, you'll go to jail'.

Why? Because the route to inner peace and being centered comes from INSIDE - it is not external (i.e. note how silly it is to TELL someone not to be upset. That never works. But if they can learn to be calm from inside it always works).

So all the answers showing how you must not engage a hostile are correct, but the true root of it is self-mastery and enjoyment of the moment that you were in and not being 'disturbed'. That's my take, anyhow.
    Only one flaw, you forget some folks like conflict. Inner piece and zen like meditation doesnt work for all.

The OP should just smile and nod, it works in the real world.

VIP Member
    I get yells and honks all the time while I'm riding my bicycle. I just smile and wave, once again reassured my concealed carry set-up is functioning exactly as I intend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I get yells and honks all the time while I'm riding my bicycle. I just smile and wave, once again reassured my concealed carry set-up is functioning exactly as I intend.
    Maybe they all think you look hot in your biking clothes, or you need to stop riding down the center of the car lane.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

VIP Member
    Any kind of short-fuse tendency is very dangerous when carrying.
    Hopyard and swiftyjuan like this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Moderator
    Then I lose because it's not SD right?
    What have you lost?

Someone that you dont know, drives by and flips you off.

So what? They arent shooting at you, they arent throwing any thing at you, they arent even talking to you.

SD never even entered into the equation. It was never there.

Flipping someone off because they flipped you of for no other reason that they could, is not much diferent than arguing with an idiot. Its a no win situation and you've lowered yourself to their level of stupidity.
    Guantes, Hopyard, mcp1810 and 2 others like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post

Huh?

How about, "Don't respond to insults or you may end up in prison!"

That's pretty much the no B.S., short and sweet answer. And you don't have to scratch your head and go "What was that all about?"

btw... Good post BadgerJ. I was just bustin your chops.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You call the sheriffs dept and advise them of the possibly that a couple guys are out driving the neighborhood and up to no good. Give them as much information as you can regarding the car, how many, and so on, then finish your smoke and go back inside and relax, but stay vigilant. No need to pick a fight that wasn't a fight to start off with, just some punks pounding their chests trying to impress each other.
    steelhawk likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I believe what Badjer is saying is "don't let someone ruin your day?"

Quote Originally Posted by gunslut View Post
    I believe what Badjer is saying is "don't let someone ruin your day?"
    Or, ruin your life!
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links