A scenario -- responding to insults - Page 3

A scenario -- responding to insults

This is a discussion on A scenario -- responding to insults within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If it can't puncture, cut, crush, or break I don't worry about it....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: A scenario -- responding to insults

If it can't puncture, cut, crush, or break I don't worry about it.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

To WillyNilly,

Respond to what? A finger?

Your profile states that you are retired, you enjoy computers and guitars right? I am pretty sure you didn't get to retirement age by responding with violence every time someone slammed your computer OS, or called your favorite guitar trash. You probably have had someone call you names before and didn't run for the butcher knife. Why on earth would you respond to the finger by brandishing a firearm?

I don't live in Texas, but I have friends that do, and they carry. You did not get that idea from your CC class instructor, and if you would have asked your question in class, you should have been shown the door. At least that is what I do when I teach.

I can only hope that you posted your question to rile the ranks. If so, you succeeded, if not, by all means sell your guns so that you don't end up giving the anti gunners fodder for their vomit.
    fragmatic likes this.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

I will just say, I don't agree with many of the posts on this subject. And, I don't agree with the legal ramifications.

Maybe it has to do with the laws in different places. Here, the "key" is .... if you instigated and initiated the confrontation and the contact, or not.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Don't get me wrong guys, I never responded to fingers or yelled epitaphs so I created a scenario. I didn't say I'll pull my gun from a finger flipping but in a confrontation. There's a difference. Suppose they stopped because I didn't respond and try to aggravate me into responding. I'll still ignore them but when they get out of the car the situation changes. That's another scenario but maybe I didn't say it right.

I don't let them get to me because as y'all said they're out for kicks and inflate their egos. What if I did respond and having a gun on me will only make matters worse. That was my question.

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    Another way I have heard it said:
    "You can carry a gun or carry a temper; you can't carry both."
    I know that there is a like button around here somewhere....but I haven't found it yet. So therefore,
    [like button] Click!
    bigmacque likes this.

The [like button] only appears when you mouse over their post at the right hand corner of the post, but above their signature line.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    The [like button] only appears when you mouse over their post at the right hand corner of the post, but above their signature line.
    Thanks. I got it.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    What have you lost?

Someone that you dont know, drives by and flips you off.

So what? They arent shooting at you, they arent throwing any thing at you, they arent even talking to you.

SD never even entered into the equation. It was never there.

Flipping someone off because they flipped you of for no other reason that they could, is not much diferent than arguing with an idiot. Its a no win situation and you've lowered yourself to their level of stupidity.
    thats not what he meant, he was asking if he flips them the bird also and they come back and attack him and he shoots, will he lose in court, not because he lost something due to be flipped off
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Willy,

After closer reading of your post and your response, I respectfully apologize for my earlier post.

The key to any action you take must always be a response to a lethal threat. That threat cannot be instigated or antagonized by you. The thing you must always be in a lethal situation is an innocent victim. There are people that are looking for any opportunity for a confrontation. If you do not respond and it escalates to the point that you must defend yourself, do so with all the fervor you have and with the minimum force necessary to stop the aggression. Deadly force as the last option.

As in any SD situation, be so sure that there is no other alternative and that you do not use excessive force. Also, be sure that you will probably spend a great deal of resources defending your actions so make sure there is no other way out.

I had a friend of mine shot at because he flashed his lights at an oncoming vehicle that had their brights on. No yelling or cursing, just shooting. Turns out that there are gangs that use that as an invitation to rumble.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeathRales View Post
    Flip them off; atagonize and wait on your porch.
    Really? this is the smartest response you have? I guess we'll be seeing you on the news soon...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    [QUOTE=tomtsr;2041978]Willy,

After closer reading of your post and your response, I respectfully apologize for my earlier post.

The key to any action you take must always be a response to a lethal threat. That threat cannot be instigated or antagonized by you. The thing you must always be in a lethal situation is an innocent victim. There are people that are looking for any opportunity for a confrontation. If you do not respond and it escalates to the point that you must defend yourself, do so with all the fervor you have and with the minimum force necessary to stop the aggression. Deadly force as the last option.

As in any SD situation, be so sure that there is no other alternative and that you do not use excessive force. Also, be sure that you will probably spend a great deal of resources defending your actions so make sure there is no other way out.

I had a friend of mine shot at because he flashed his lights at an oncoming vehicle that had their brights on. No yelling or cursing, just shooting. Turns out that there are gangs that use that as an invitation to rumble.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was an urban legend. Edit: Found this:
    snopes.com: Flashing Headlights Gang Initiation

--------

SD law is different in every state. IIRC in VA and several other states, you can engage in 'mutual combat' but if you decline to continue and are still being attacked, you have the right to SD. Of course that may be hard to prove and you'll probably still be convicted with a lesser sentence or convicted of a lesser crime.

I think one of the best ways to send the idiots on their way is to play stupid. Smile and wave. You have acknowledged their insult so you are not ignoring them, and they figure either you didn't 'get it' or you're a moron. Short story, you're not worth their time. You have also shown them your good side by being friendly, which should work against them if they choose to come back. Both in court as well as interrupting their OODA loop.

I would also like to know why you're being frequently 'saluted.' Bad part of town, drug dealing pimp neighbors, smoking in the nude?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I have always tried to point this out to my friends that are thinking about carrying a weapon. They must be able to put their pride behind them. If they cannot do that they should not carry in my opinion.

Michael

I've thought of just waving in a friendly manner but that's a response that may incite them still so I thought I'd just do nothing and let them think I'm a coward or a moron.

Since I smoke outside and watched cars go by so much that I recognize cars as belonging in the neighborhood and strangers. It's the strangers that flipped me off and never to be seen again. Maybe they were boosters looking for break ins or disgrunted visitors who knows. Maybe they saw me as a neighborhood watchdog. As far as I know I don't have any enemies and I get along with my neighbors very well.

One thing I noticed though, just about every driver going by are using their phone.

Stick and stones.....

Why would you even acknowledge the acts of people so far beneath you? Karma will come back to do it for you...
    Bubbiesdad and swiftyjuan like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links