A scenario -- responding to insults

This is a discussion on A scenario -- responding to insults within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for your responses, good and bad. Didn't really expect such an output but the question needed to be asked. A scenario that turned out ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: A scenario -- responding to insults

Thanks for your responses, good and bad. Didn't really expect such an output but the question needed to be asked. A scenario that turned out interesting and educative. :)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    9.31 doesn't say anything about having to retreat due to consent, only if engaged in criminal activity or provoking the person.
    Correct. But you would have to show that you effectively withdrew that consent. Or as it says you attempt to abandon the encounter or make clear your intention to do so.
    I can't invite you to poke me with a sharp stick and then shoot you for poking me with a sharp stick. I have to tell you to stop first.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I guess it would depend on the wording during the hypothetical phone conversation in this case or other variables. I think there is a big difference if you are engaged in a phone conversation, versus being in front of the person. With the phone conversation there is time and distance that the other person has to eliminate before any offensive or self defense situation would occur.

If your standing in front of me with a sharp stick, I need to protect whatever parts I think are most important before you get to poking me.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    You lose for just asking the question.... Duh.

Well, you can't go about drawing your gun all Willy Nilly. If you're even thinking about whether you should draw your weapon in response to a single finger salute, go put your gun in the safe.

You didn't get a permit to carry to make this a more polite society. You got it to defend your life, and those of your loved ones.

In most states, deadly force can only be used to defend against deadly force or force with by you may be subject to grave bodily injury. I've never ever heard of someone dying from finger pointing...

In Texas, you have a bit more leeway than some states... But as liberal as the castle doctrine laws are in your state, I don't think there's a provision for lethal defense against rudeness.

Got $10 or so?
    1. Get a copy of In The Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob.
    2. Put the gun away until you've read it, twice, and could pass a test on it (just to give yourself an incentive to LEARN). Don't worry, it's a small, short book. And,
    3. if you ain't got the ten spot, go to the library and read it for free (or an inter library loan fee).

Now, after you've done that, come back and read a lot of the posts and responses here... Then start asking questions.

I don't mean to come off such a pri ... nce yeah, prince. That's what I was going to say....

But if you don't even have a basic clue... you have to get one before you do something you will regret for the rest of your life, and the rest of the carry community will have to be associated with for the rest of theirs.
    Just finished reading this book again yesterday! Read it again if you have any questions!
    ...T. Ray

I'm going to make an assumption here (and you know what that sets me up up for), but I would wager that the majority of the fingers you receive sitting on your front porch come from young jackass males with testosterone poisoning. Rest assured that should they continue this kind of behavior sooner or later they'll get the attention of a true, died in the wool sociopath. Whenever idiots like this raise your hackles just remember....Young, dumb and full of ...

You can't fix stupid.

But life sure can.

Quote Originally Posted by fragmatic View Post
    I'm going to make an assumption here (and you know what that sets me up up for), but I would wager that the majority of the fingers you receive sitting on your front porch come from young jackass males with testosterone poisoning. Rest assured that should they continue this kind of behavior sooner or later they'll get the attention of a true, died in the wool sociopath. Whenever idiots like this raise your hackles just remember....Young, dumb and full of ...

You can't fix stupid.

But life sure can.
    To clarify here, I was responding to the OP's original question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Let me rephrase part of your description of this situation:

<blockquote>Some guys try to provoke me into a negative reaction. I do exactly what they are hoping I will do.</blockquote>

It is so strange to me that more people don't realize that, when someone uses "fighting words" or gestures, they are trying to manipulate you. Who is weaker, the person who lets someone else manipulate him into a potentially life-threatening or at least life-changing situation, or the person who is not worried about two-dimensional projections of machismo and so cannot be manipulated by such completely transparent BS?

In the martial arts world, you quickly learn that one of the best way to win fights is not with superior strength or technique, but by getting inside the other guy's head and causing him to lose his temper/take action on your terms, not his. This is very similar.

Well said.
    I like the way Peyton Quinn phrased it while writing about the subject, "Either you are in control of yourself, or someone else is. Why give anyone that kind of power over you?".

Those cigarettes are statistically far more likely to end your life early than a violent encounter with an assailant.

My dad died at 59 from lung cancer, my sister died at 51 from lung cancer, and my brother had a massive heart attack that nearly ended his life when he was 51.

They were all smokers. Those of us who didn't smoke are doing fine in our mid-fifties to mid-sixties.

Do you carry a gun so you can help assure yourself and your loved ones a long, happy life? If so, consider what the cigarettes are doing to support that plan.
    Last edited by MadMac; October 27th, 2011 at 08:29 PM.
    tseabourn likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links