A scenario -- responding to insults

This is a discussion on A scenario -- responding to insults within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I go outside my house to smoke my cigarettes. I watched cars go by and some flipped a finger at you. No reason but I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: A scenario -- responding to insults

A scenario -- responding to insults

I go outside my house to smoke my cigarettes. I watched cars go by and some flipped a finger at you. No reason but I just ignore 'em because I'm packing. I felt that if I responded to the insults I would be forced to bring my gun up in a confrontation.

Then I lose because it's not SD right?

2. Remove Ads

You lose big time.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WillyNilly View Post
    I go outside my house to smoke my cigarettes. I watched cars go by and some flipped a finger at you. No reason but I just ignore 'em because I'm packing. I felt that if I responded to the insults I would be forced to bring my gun up in a confrontation.

Then I lose because it's not SD right?
    Some very sage advice I have heard / read: when you are carrying, you can't afford the luxury of the kinds of responses and actions you might have taken while unarmed. Having the ability to use lethal force necessitates the responsibility to avoid any form of escalation that may cause you to need to use it.

+1 to what noway2 said.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

You lose for just asking the question.... Duh.

Well, you can't go about drawing your gun all Willy Nilly. If you're even thinking about whether you should draw your weapon in response to a single finger salute, go put your gun in the safe.

You didn't get a permit to carry to make this a more polite society. You got it to defend your life, and those of your loved ones.

In most states, deadly force can only be used to defend against deadly force or force with by you may be subject to grave bodily injury. I've never ever heard of someone dying from finger pointing...

In Texas, you have a bit more leeway than some states... But as liberal as the castle doctrine laws are in your state, I don't think there's a provision for lethal defense against rudeness.

Got $10 or so?
    1. Get a copy of In The Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob.
    2. Put the gun away until you've read it, twice, and could pass a test on it (just to give yourself an incentive to LEARN). Don't worry, it's a small, short book. And,
    3. if you ain't got the ten spot, go to the library and read it for free (or an inter library loan fee).

Now, after you've done that, come back and read a lot of the posts and responses here... Then start asking questions.

I don't mean to come off such a pri ... nce yeah, prince. That's what I was going to say....

But if you don't even have a basic clue... you have to get one before you do something you will regret for the rest of your life, and the rest of the carry community will have to be associated with for the rest of theirs.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    you lose big time.
    big time !!!

Move!
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I was working with 14-15 yo scouts a few years back and one had recently turned 16, started driving and told me that someone had walked up to his car and punched him in the face. I asked him what he had done - "I flipped him off".
    It was a cheap lesson for him on how not to handle situations and that actions have consequences - sometimes unintended consequesnce.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    It's kinda scary that you even had to ask the question, but hopefully you're taking to heart the appropriate response.

I have to ask - why are the people driving by flipping you off? I get the finger every now and then, but there is a reason and I usually know why.
    Secret Spuk and 9MMare like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It's kinda scary that you even had to ask the question, but hopefully you're taking to heart the appropriate response.

I have to ask - why are the people driving by flipping you off? I get the finger every now and then, but there is a reason and I usually know why.
    A reason more than being a coastie?

VIP Member
    Well when I was young and not so smart, (long before CC was possible) I might have returned the favor. Now that I'm too old to fight and too slow to run, I'd ignore them anyway.

Ask yourself this question. Is someone flipping you the bird worth taking a possible butt whipping over? Remember, no matter how many years of MA you may or may not have taken, there is someone out there better at it than you are.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    A reason more than being a coastie?
    LOL. 'Like I said, I usually know why...

Flip them off; atagonize and wait on your porch.
    steelhawk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathRales View Post
    Flip them off; atagonize and wait on your porch.
    This is what you SHOULD NOT do....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

You need to study Chapter Nine of the Penal Code. Specifically 9.31- Self Defense.
    In a nutshell, you can not legally use any force to respond to verbal provocation alone.
    If you provoke them (give them the finger back) you have a bunch of hoops to jump through before you can claim self defense as a justification.
    If you don't know them, why would you care if they flipped you off? Does the position of a single finger on a hand stuck out of a car driving by materially change anything in your world? Is it going to give you bad breath and make your hair fall out and give your car crappy gas mileage? Douche bags like that are just trying to inflate their egos. For them to succeed they need to be noticed and reacted to. Life is too short to waste time with stupid people.
    tcon67, 9MMare and Catfan63 like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links