What is meant by not having your ego interfere?

This is a discussion on What is meant by not having your ego interfere? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Styles and fighting aside. I think the point of this thread is about mindset. If you cannot discipline yourself to not respond to stupid people, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What is meant by not having your ego interfere?

Styles and fighting aside. I think the point of this thread is about mindset. If you cannot discipline yourself to not respond to stupid people, doing stupid things. Hang the gun up, until you can.

2. Remove Ads

That's it...(and have something to fall back on if you lose your gun...or it's taken away....etc)
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbw8906 View Post
    I'm not insulting you and you can be cute "pat you on the head" all you wish, I've taken Karate (mostly isshinryu) just about all my life and I have no belts (as it's an American invention) as they serve no purpose but too show off and tell people your color (ego the whole point of this thread). Any good discipline should deal with being on the ground, but I'm not a law enforcement office and I wish to detain no one so I see no point in a "wrestling" style that takes away your ability to get away (the most effective form of self defense). If it works for you then great, but I feel people take it thinking it's a valid self defense discipline and it's not.

If you choose to believe that real world fighting does not exist that is up to you, and I feel you have far too much ego if you are not afraid of another man's fist and are only afraid of his gun.
    Friend you seem to think that there is no need for a grappling style of fighting. You only think this because you have never been on the ground in a fight. Once you find yourself there you'll sing a different tune.

Also, there are plenty of situations that easily come to mind where you might need to hold onto somebody. A BG in your home comes to mind where you are fighting to keep said BG away from your loved ones.

Sometime the best defense is not to get away but to get further in.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Ego gets in the way of many endeavors, many times effective communication.

VIP Member
    I just have a question and a statement and being serious with both.

and certs in Bowie knife.
    Who in the heck teaches and certifies in this (if you were being serious)

I dont watch UFC and I am not familiar with BJJ and so on but dbw to be able to fight and defend from any position is always to your benefit, and I am talking about fighting not competition. I have guys on my team that at combatives instructors and since you cant always choose the playing field or where the fight takes place i.e. standing up, ground, under a table and so on it is always good to have options and Ground fighting is one of them.

Just an opinion
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

If anyone messes with me I will calmly and peacefully lead them by the hand to a quiet spot and humbly kill them.

[QUOTE=atctimmy;2042838 Sometime the best defense is not to get away but to get further in.[/QUOTE]Very true, when unarmed and fighting a very tall person. They expect you to back up, so instead get up close and personal.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Drop back 10 meters, throw big rocks, drop back 10 more, throw more rocks, keep doing this until clear of said threat....end of issue.
    ...T. Ray

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links