Halloween Security Measures.

This is a discussion on Halloween Security Measures. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know when I used to work in a liquor store we'd put up a huge "No masks or head coverings of any kind" sign ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Halloween Security Measures.

Halloween Security Measures.

I know when I used to work in a liquor store we'd put up a huge "No masks or head coverings of any kind" sign on the door about a week before Halloween. I was thinking about this recently; now that I live on my own and carry, how unsuspectingly we (read I) open the door for strangers particularly on this night.

I don't have a window near my door or a peephole. So I think I'm going to buy a camera and television set to install, and probably have a height requirement for whom I am opening the door for. If you're adult height, presumably a teenager or older and NOT accompanied by someone who looks like they belong out on Halloween night (i.e a child) then I will not be opening the door for you. I first off think the trick or treating aspect of Halloween is for children and second I do not want to open my door to someone whom already has a mask on.

Anyone have any other Halloween specifics in which their S.A might be heightened?

Or maybe I'd just be cynical old man(read 23) that I am and leave the light off, truly just envious that I can not go trick or treating.

P.S- If you're the person handing out travel toothpaste and toothbrushes for Halloween please understand why your house is skipped by so many children, I still remember that house.

2. Remove Ads

I'm using a shotgun loaded with silver buckshot & a handgun loaded with 147 grain silvertip for inner zone defense.

Ritual wards and talismans combined with various thamaturgical and necromantic creations summoned to keep me safe for an mid-zone defense.

For long range offense/defense I've made a deal with the local gargoyle clan to give me nighttime overwatch & recon, as well as the mystical equivalent of drones (ever see what happens when a 2 ton gargoyle does with a Sagia shotgun loaded with slugs? hint - giggle, giggle...) , as well as have gathered nail clippings and hairs from co-workers to posses them in case I need disposable shock troops to distract an enemy. Sure mind control of living beings is technically a bad thing according to the Council...but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I think I'm set.

I'm probably gonna find an older grave yard to get zombies if I have time because a few of those can be very effective, but given my prep, its just redundant.

In our neighborhood the trick or treating is only between certain hours on a chosen evening (mostly daylight). We enjoy sitting out on the front porch handing out treats to the kids. Most of the kids have their parents with them. The only traffic issue is trying to get around the police cars in the street with cops handing out candy.

Obviously, I'm not too worried about defending against the lawless hoardes...
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    We embrace Halloween. I'm not going to let a potential dirtbag stop me from loading up cute little princesses, ghouls, and werewolves with candy.

I'm armed just like I am any other day of the week.
    rammerjammer and Eagleks like this.

Yep - I'm going to do as I always do, and answer the door and give out candy to all the kids.

Only difference is this year I might have a gun on my hip. :)

My security measure goes something like this:

I hear a knock, I open the door and give kids in costumes candy.
    Done
    Last edited by Thunder71; October 3rd, 2011 at 01:59 PM.
    Hopyard likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    My wife and I always sit out on the front porch, with the bowls of candy.
    That way we are not opening the door blindly to every ring or knock.
    We can see up and down the street, and can look over all of the "goings on"
    My EDC is concealed on me as we pass out the goodies to all the kids.
    Of course it's not cold here in Florida, in fact usually we have to crank up the Thermocell to keep the skeeters away.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I think this year I might have to sit outside with my leathers and shoulder rig on. Maybe strap the .45 on my hip and be a 'biker'.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I'm the friendly guy from Pulp Fiction, but I have to remember to hold my EDC sideways!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

In my neighborhood we take it outside. I live on a court and all of the neighbors set up a couple of tables out front. We make it sort of a street party. We have candy and juice for the kids and snacks and adult beverages for the adults. The trick or treaters like it because it is one stop shopping so to speak and we like it because we aren't walking back and forth answering the door every five minutes. No need to open doors for strangers and there are usually anywhere from eight to fifteen of us hanging out and having a good time.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Well this will be my 2 nd year in my apartment .

Before the selling house and divorce I was along with pebbles was in charge of giveing out the candy.

In the apartment setting there are no kids and thats a good thing you dont want to be opeing door at night there .

I think in these days and times those that do give candy should keep a real good eye out .

Distinguished Member
    I'm going to sit on the front porch with my Glock 23 in a shoulder rig, and my Glock 27 in my CBST. Living in Fayetteville, NC (Fort Bragg) we had a lot of little hoodlums that run around the area, and we have had a few break ins and not so nice people lurking around the neighborhood. I will likely put the shotgun behind the door and my LCR in a boot holster. I hate Fayetteville.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    ... I hate Fayetteville.
    LOL. Don't hold back. That's how I feel about the little inbred town that I live in. The day will come when I drop it like a bad habit.

VIP Member
    Just call me an old scrooge. I leave my porch light turned off and no longer answer the door anymore.
    scgunlover1 and paching like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    LOL. Don't hold back. That's how I feel about the little inbred town that I live in. The day will come when I drop it like a bad habit.
    Fayetteville is horrible. Walmart closes its doors after midnight now a days, due to violence in the parking lot. My wife talked to some local LEOs when she first moved her with me about Fayetteville. They told her whatever you do, do not go to the Skibo Walmart after dark. You will either get shot, stabbed, raped, robbed or car jacked, or any combination of those. What blows my mind the most about this place is that it is a military town which is home to the Airborne and Special Operations, pretty much everyone carries a gun. I can't speak for the 82nd Airborne but every dude in Special Ops that I've talked to carries and knows how to use a pistol to a decent degree of proficiently. Last thing I think a criminal would want to do is rob some operators wife and he comes around the corner and busts you in the head with a 45.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Distinguished Member
    We opt out, it's easy to do here.

Since when did Halloween get to be so gigantic anyways? I think it's creepy and makes fun of death, injury, and dental issues. Call me a party pooper, that's fine.
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links