Home invasion in my town. Should the homeowner have shot???

This is a discussion on Home invasion in my town. Should the homeowner have shot??? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If it was $38,500 I would have let him go. But in this economy, I draw the line at $38,501. Shoot the thug....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Home invasion in my town. Should the homeowner have shot???

If it was $38,500 I would have let him go.

But in this economy, I draw the line at $38,501. Shoot the thug.
    Last edited by HotGuns; October 3rd, 2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Nope.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

U come in my house with evil intentions u get shot!!! More than once! My home is just that...MY home!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ktm rider View Post
    OK Maybe i didn't word my question the right way. I see the age of the victim is the major factor for the decision to shoot. But my question was kinda geared toward if it was you who was robbed. What if age is not a factor and he was simply walking out the door after stealing that amount of money from your house?
    Do you let him walk with your 40k even though he is not a life threat to you since he is walking out the door?
    I never keep that much cash in the house. Not even close. But anyone who forces their way into my home will have a German Shepherd hanging from some part of their body.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I would help him turn his life around...
    PSLOwner and BaconHunter like this.

So, the crime has been done, he's walking out the door and no longer presenting as a threat to my physical well being by the time I am able to arm myself? No, I would not shoot.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    He breaks into my house and starts trying to manhandle me, he's just met his maker. I'm not young anymore, and I won't take it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by satori59 View Post
    So, the crime has been done, he's walking out the door and no longer presenting as a threat to my physical well being by the time I am able to arm myself? No, I would not shoot.
    I agree, I would not shoot as he was walking out the door, but I would ventilate him before he ever got his greedy hands on anything of worth!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    To answer the question (what if this was ME at MY age) I have to assume that I'm dumb enough to keep $40k lying around my house without securing it in some manner, and NOT have my weapon on me.

I suppose if I'm that stupid then I deserve to lose the money.
    paullie likes this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

At 90, I would have shot him...at 60, I would have also shot him the moment he entered the house. Hey, wait a minute, did I say at 60? That means I would have shot him 5 years ago...
    I'm sitting here right now with my Glock-36 at my side. I know my neighbors, friends, and relatives...no one just walks into my home uninvited. Kick in my door and say, "Goodnight!"

I'm sorry, but I will not be giving anyone who forces their way into my home the benefit of the doubt prior to my dealing with the threat...immediately!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    In Mi. you would NOT be justified in shooting IF he was out of the bldg. when you popped him, as per the law below;

Honest and Reasonable Belief
    The Act (PA 311) creates a rebuttable presumption that a person using force has an honest and reasonable belief that imminent death, great bodily harm, or sexual assault will occur if the person using force honestly and reasonably believes the person against whom force is used is any of the following:
    1. In the process of breaking and entering a dwelling or business
    2. In the process of committing a home invasion
    3. Has committed a breaking and entering or home invasion and is still present in the dwelling or business 4. Is attempting to unlawfully remove a person from a dwelling, business, or vehicle against his or her will

I wish Mi. would step up this part of the game in favor of the homeowner, because it would be a felony, in some states as Guantes has pointed out, to be robbing someone.

Who's to say they wouldn't be back at a later date for more pillaging.
    Last edited by oneshot; October 4th, 2011 at 08:14 PM.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Anybody breaking into my home automatically gets banged in the head twice. If he survives two .45ACP`s I`ll buy him a beer.

I will defend against any break in and would shoot. I'm 50 but want to get to 90.

In New York, you are justified as long as you are in your home and you have a reasonable belief that using deadly physical force is necessary to prevent the Burglary. So if you thought he was there to steal from you, you could shoot him when he enters or when he is leaving, doesn't matter. There is no requirement that you fear for your life in that situation. Morally, I don't know, if you are not in fear for your life and the guy is unarmed, do you just let him go and collect on the homeowners insurance? Is 40K enough to kill someone? Very interesting fact pattern, easy to say, yeah, I would blow him away but if you were in that situation, could you kill him as he is leaving or just call the police?

Like it was said earlier, castle doctrine in FL. I would have shot him down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this uninvited intruder would have more holes in his body after he came across the threshold of the door than he had prior to breaching the threshold. The situation would not even entertain a debate in Texas....okay maybe in Austin it would, but not in the rest of the State.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links