someone broken down/out of gas

This is a discussion on someone broken down/out of gas within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't stop period. Even if the people were legit, knowing my luck an 18 wheeler would smack into me as I changed the tire!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: someone broken down/out of gas

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I don't stop period. Even if the people were legit, knowing my luck an 18 wheeler would smack into me as I changed the tire!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

This is why I pack

Very similar situation when I was about eleven or so prompted me to arm myself as an adult. It was the same sort of ruse on a then desolate part of route 60 in VA.
    It was '76 or so and my ol' man was driving the pickup/camper rig east with me shotgun, Mom and sis sleeping in the back, late at nite, between Richmond and Bills-burg. There's a car up ahead being pushed in the passing lane by five or six individuals. Pop slows down, in the slow lane, and eases up on them at about twenty MPH or so. "Stay down!", he tells me. I was still peeking over the dash with eyes like ping-pong balls. When the ones pushing the car decided we were "close enough", they fan out evenly on both sides of the road.
    I remember the thunk of my fathers chunky black shoe stomping on the accelerator. I don't ever remember him blowing the cob-webs out like that before or since.
    Through the drivers side mirror, I remember seeing headlites pop on, then disappear followed by side marker and tailights as the same "broken down" car turned into the median to make a quick u-ee.
    I looked up at my father and he kind of smirked sideways and exhaled at the same time, as did I.
    Ever since that day I wished he at least packed a small revolver. Open carry was and is legal in VA without permit. At least he didn't stop and fall for the scam.
    My fascination with big caliber weapons has remained ever since, as potential "Buick killers".

Strangers blocking the driveway? Call the police (non-emergency line). Go and talk to them? Maybe... but definately packing.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    This reminds me of the ''breakdown'' scam.

Pretty lady tries for attention by her car, with hood up - nice guy stops to help damsel in distress at which point bad guy partner appears from bushes and proceeds to do evil on nice guy.
    I have such a hard time with this one.......
    Stop and you could get dead.
    Don't stop and she could get dead, raped, or both.
    Neither is acceptable, and as explained, how do you tell?

My personal compromise is if armed I'd stop, if not I'll report it to the PD.
    At least that's what I tell myself I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by stevetim View Post
    "Breakdowns" has been a source of gang initiation here in South Florida from what I understand. The first car to stop and help the 'setup' gets popped by the wannabe gang member as his proof of worthiness to be part of that gang. There is also an initiation involving rolling up to a cab driver, and just double tapping him to the head. You just gotta watch your own ass out there guys.
    Welcome to the board. When did this gang initiation thing start down here in Miami? I remember the popular bicycle shop owner got killed that way a few years ago, but I haven't heard of any incidents since then. Got any news stories or links?

BTW, you a member of an IDPA club in this area? 'Cause I AM and I'm sure there's room for more members! Check out
    http://www.tssa.net My shootin' season is about to start with the OCT 14th shoot at Trail Glades. Check the site calendar.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

In Miami a few years back we had a rash of killings at red lights.The BG would walk up to the stopped car and shoot the driver just for kicks. Unless you were armed you did not stand a chance. I always carried in miami.

In Miami the paper used to print a list of the people that were robbed in the hotel parking lots. It was a real eye opener. I can't remember if the list was printed daily or once a week

My grand daughter was in Miami a couple of years ago and was returning from work, she was in frount of her apartment. 2 guys pulled up in a car one got out and grabbed at her purse. She has a Black belt in one of the Karate arts, she kicked him in the groin then the face, His buddie got out drug him back into the car and took off.
    She was really happy that she had trained and comented that this was the first time she had to use it.

I don't remember that...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    In Miami a few years back we had a rash of killings at red lights.The BG would walk up to the stopped car and shoot the driver just for kicks. Unless you were armed you did not stand a chance. I always carried in miami.
    I've lived in miami my whole life. Native. Continusously (no breaks for the military) for the last 18 years. I don't remember those incidents. When did this happen and where? Not that I doubt you, but my life in Coral Gables is sometimes a bit insulated. That's why I can teach deep in the inner city, keeps me on my toes without burning me out.

I've carried since Florida passed the first of the now standard "SHALL ISSUE" ccw laws in 1987. It's even better now with the amended Castle Doctrine laws. Over the years, I've had one or two situations that could have gone south and gotten ugly had I not been in condition yellow.

All it really takes though is some simple driving techniques that you use on a daily basis in conjunction with simply being aware...which we call the aforementioned Condition Yellow. Like leaving enough room behind the car in front of you at a stoplight so that you can observe the rear wheels. This means you have ample room to wheel around the car and get away in an emergency.

It helps to have the mindset that you can jump a curb if necessary. This can be done even in a smaller passenger car if you know how to do it and if you think outside the box.

It also helps to know that if you have a vehicle that's blocking your way you can get it to slide out of the way by forcefully striking it dead along the rear axle with your own bumper in less of a STRIKE and more of a forceful SHOVE. But that is the pivot point.

As an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor, I often teach folks who have completed my CCW class (who request it) how to draw and engage from behind the wheel of a car. There are several techniques. Like anything else, if you practice you can become very proficient!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    The thing here to ask for is laundry tokens.

All I know is that there are only two people with unlimited access to our apartment: me and my husband. Anyone else knocks and that means I go to my door armed.

Most of the time it's just the little old lady who lives down stairs either telling us she saw some creepy looking kids in the neighborhood or to ask for a laundry token. But I'm not taking that chance. I'm armed with my Kimber and the peep-hole in our door. If I can't see them, I CERTAINLY don't answer the door.

My mom just asked me if i ever thought of movin just a few minutes ago. I said maybe to alaska or vermont. She was like why not someplace warm like florida. I told her that i just joined this forum and have read all these posts about florida on this board.

As to the broke down/ out of gas scenario, I guess it would depend on the situation. Honestly if its after dark the door doesnt open for people i dont know, if they were persistant they would find it open a crack with my hand on the trigger pointed chest high. If i could see visible damage to an auto in a well populated area in daylight i might help, but i am not stopping to help someone on a back road, after dark, or if they have a bad look to them. Its such a shame that we have to be so scared of this kind of thing but the world is a scarry place.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    It's a shame we have to be talking about this type of "trojan horse" predator.

I have stopped on the side of the road to help people before, on more than one occasion, and I'm not going to quit helping people out of fear. I will, however, be on full alert the entire time, and be armed. I've been the guy stuck on the side of the road before, and it's not fun. Only once has anyone stopped to help me (which I was extremely grateful for).

Helping someone broken down by my house (even if unlikly since I live in a cul-de-sac) wouldn't be a problem for me. I would certainly arm myself, lock the door as I walked out, and carefully judge the situation the whole time, but I'm not gonna hide in the house with 911 on the line, watching them curse at their car.

The one thing I won't do is pick up hitch-hikers. I'm sure it sucks walking down the highway, but there's no way they're getting in my vehicle. If I stop to help someone out, I want to make sure that I'm always in a better tactical position if it turns out to be a wolf wearing a sheepskin, which is a lot harder to do if they're sitting down right next to you in an enclosed space.

Sad To Say...

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    If you wanna help, call the Boys in Blue.

Otherwise, stay inside your house or keep rolling in your vehicle.

And have one hand on a piece.
    But I strongly agree...in today's world...this is the way it has to be...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBk View Post
    Been a potential set-up since the horse and buggy days (got any hay I could buy), probably even before. Be careful and stay safe.
    Yep.

If I were out in a secluded area enough to have a barn et. al. and no gas station within walking distance then I'd likely say no I don't but the sherriff does, his number is 800-SUS-PECT.

I live in a small town roughly a mile from town center and the police station (a ~10 minute easy walk) and in the two years we've been here we've had three persons come by day and in the middle of the night asking to use our phone claiming to be lost with a fourth asking for directions (again in the middle of the night) and a fifth, a student, come by during the day to ask if we had rooms to rent.

Now days everyone and their 6 yr. old has a cell phone.
    If you're doofus enough to run out of gas, not keeping an eye on the fuel meter or noticed the bright orange low fuel indicator, then well call a friend and have them bring you some gas/give directions/rent you a room...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

kpw
    I'd hate the thought that I couldn't help someone that needed it if I could. Circumstances have to dictate your actions, though. If there is an uneasy feeling, follow your gut. I've had a couple instances where I was broke down or stuck in the snow and people have helped everytime despite that fact that I supposedly look mean. I doubt there is a winter here where I haven't jumped a car, dug someone out or given them a ride somewhere safe at least a couple of times. I have no illusions about the evil people in this world but most are kind and caring and I'm not going to ignore them if they need my help. Sometimes, just meeting these people under those circumstances can make a really bad day seem not so bad anymore.

This Reminds Me Of A Story...

It was quite a while ago and it was about 3 a.m. My wife woke me up and said the doorbell was ringing. So up I go and walked downstairs to the front door. I open the door to a man standing in the rain who asks me if I could give him a push. I told him it was 3 a.m., way to late...I shut the door in his face and went back to bed.

Now I told my wife this and she had a fit. She reminded me of the time just weeks earlier that we were stranded early in the morning and I had gone for help, only to be aided by a farmer. She shamed me into going back downstairs and offering my assistance.

Well, I put on my pants and grabbed my raincoat, and out the front door I went. The guy was nowhere to be found, so I started yelling, "Hey, where are you, I'm here to help you with that push!"
    It was at that moment I heard a faint voice in the backyard. I slowly made my way around the house to the backyard with the rain just pouring down.

The guy was in the backyard on my kid's swing set...
    "Can I get that push now?"

Yes, it was a joke...I know dumb...but I laughed when I heard it...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links