someone broken down/out of gas

This is a discussion on someone broken down/out of gas within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [QUOTE=ExSoldier;315602]I've lived in miami my whole life. Native. Continusously (no breaks for the military) for the last 18 years. I don't remember those incidents. When ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: someone broken down/out of gas

Miami shootings

[QUOTE=ExSoldier;315602]I've lived in miami my whole life. Native. Continusously (no breaks for the military) for the last 18 years. I don't remember those incidents. When did this happen and where? Not that I doubt you, but my life in Coral Gables is sometimes a bit insulated. That's why I can teach deep in the inner city, keeps me on my toes without burning me out.

Its been a while. I think it was in the late sixtys. also in that time frame there was an FAA flight inspector killed in Coconut Grove. He had pulled over and was knocking on someones door to get directions when someone stabbed him in the back. When the home owner opened the door he found the FAA inspector dying. I lived in the Carol City area until the early seventys and then moved to Orlando area.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

I thinks its a sad thing that we cant help our fellow man when he/she needs it because of concerns for our safety.

All the more reason to be armed at all times.
    Yes, it is a sad commentary about today's society that helping someone is over-shadowed by the risk of assult. But let's be frank.

Good Samaritans often fall victim to evil men.

sololucky, I try to stay out of other peoples' affairs, but your SO is very, very lucky. My wife is such a sheep and I have to remind her time and time again about this kind of thing.

In our post-Katrina world, we have all types knocking on the door, offering "services" and such. It's taken me a long time to convince her not to answer the door. She'd be the kind that would help the stranger "look for the lost puppy."

Part of our decision to defend the ones we love is to EDUCATE them. And yes, sometimes they don't listen and they believe that we over-react. We must continue to convince our loved ones to be on guard. Always.
    Last edited by Biloxi Bersa; March 13th, 2007 at 01:19 AM.

Couple of stories for this one.

Growing up in rural Arkansas (can't you tell by my accent?), it was common practice to stop and offer help to stranded motorist. I still do to this day. Had an incident a few weeks ago really made me angry though. I was coming home from work at 0230 and seen a car broke down on the interstate. Old guy, early 70's, flat tire and no wrench, dead cell phone. Guy said he had been on the side of the road for over an hour and I was the first person to stop and offer to help. Get the flat tire off and start to mount the spare and another car stops and offers help (must've seen I had finnished most of the work). Get the tire on and let the guy borrow my cell so he can call home and let them know he was ok and local PD show's up. Said they had a complaint called in about us being on the side the road. My question is when did paranoia become so prevalent that we'll allow an elderly man to sit on side of the road and then complain about it? Pathetic.

Second story. My ex wife and I were driving back to Arkansas after visiting her folks in Cali. She wanted to drive so I decided to take a nap. Woke up when the car stopped on the side of the road, when I asked her what was wrong she gave me this "please don't yell at me" look and said "I uhm thought I could make it to the next exit" She said the next exit was about 3 miles so I talked her into hoofing it in. It's about 0300 in BFE New Mexico, so I get my S&W 910 out of my bag before we walk to the next exit and then have to walk to 3 different gas stations to find a gas can. Her asthma started acting up so I left her at the gas station and set off to go get the car. before I left the gas station I slipped her the revolver and told her to sit at the tables outside the store under the street lights. I get about halfway back to the car and patrol car pulls up and spotlights me. He offers me a ride back to my car and then starts laughing when I hesitate. I have an empty holster on my belt and it's standard practice in most areas to search people before putting them in the patrol car. He's laughing because my exwife has already told him everything, including about the gun. I had a lot of love for New Mexico that night.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

I thinks its a sad thing that we cant help our fellow man when he/she needs it because of concerns for our safety.
    "Need" and "want" are two different things. There are precious few things that fall into the "need" category, in the short term (breathing; bleeding; water, if near death).

People simply must get over the concept that failing to drop everything at a moment's notice to personally assist constitutes the only method of "helping" that's possible. Helping in a sensible and safe manner is helping. It is providing assistance. It is also keeping one's eyes clear to the very real possibility of crime that might occur while contributing that assistance. It happens.

Help can consist of:
    • Bringing medical attention to bear as quickly as possible, particularly in life-threatening situations. Are you a doctor? Do you know how to avoid blood-borne pathogens and are you willing to occupy your hands, eyes and attention while assisting? No? Call the cavalry. Now, someone might be drowning or might be pinned under something that can be removed. By all means assist, if you're able. If not, get on the phone.
    • Getting police assistance in situations where a crime has been committed or where legal force is required in the situation. Might well be via telephone; might be via driving to a store to have them make a call; might be via driving to a police station, if you know where that is.
    • Calling the properly-equipped service for the need: fire, tow, a ride. A firetruck, tow truck and taxi cab offer plenty of utility, depending on the need. AAA has those little placards that can be placed on the radio antenna or in the back window, for just such situations. They work very well, and people are glad for the assistance that's provided.
    • Providing directions, if you're able.

Think for a moment: when is the last time you've ever seen someone spontaneously burst into flames by having to wait a few minutes for some service? Ever? To my knowledge, it's never happened. So, don't worry about that.

The mere fact you're deferring to qualified helpers is a good thing. Particularly if it's a dire situation, it's highly likely that additional resources, tools or expertise is going to be required. Unless you can verify that you will actually be able to assist (given your skills, tools and the specifics of the situation), calling for appropriate personnel isn't failing anyone. Waiting a few minutes more really is just a minor inconvenience. Get over it. They will.

Granted, the person receiving the assistance might well be bummed, upset or even downright violently angry about being "put off" or "dissed" in such a manner. Uh, news flash: that unknown person's minor inconveniences are not your primary concern; staying alive, safe and healthy is. Particularly if you are with others, you have a duty to remain standing and functional ... which you won't be if you get taken out by a criminal. And, in that case, what then happens to the people you're responsible for, the people you were with? Toast? Very possibly.

Sad commentary? Viewed from one perspective, perhaps. In reality, it's going through life with your eyes wide open, in a manner that's far more similar to how every other living creature lives on this planet each day. We're the only living species that I know of that buries its head in the sand as a matter of course, when going out and about. Sad? Well then, don't do that.

If deciding to personally intervene, great. If a life is at stake, by all means assist if you can. But remember, your life is also at stake, every day, in everything you do. Whatever you do, do NOT go momentarily deaf, dumb and blind while you do so. And, go armed. 'Cause you don't know what you're heading into. You've been approached. You've been targeted. It's probably benign but you simply won't know until it's over. Eyes wide open.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

waiting is the least they could for being foolish enough to run out of gas. never say "i think i can make it" unless you feel you need some exercise.
    What's this button do?

Think for a moment: when is the last time you've ever seen someone spontaneously burst into flames by having to wait a few minutes for some service? Ever? To my knowledge, it's never happened. So, don't worry about that.
    OMGOSH! Good thing I didn't have a full bladder!! That was funny!!

kpw
    A few years back, my car broke down, I believe it was around 2-3° out and I was in a dead zone...no cell service, 11:15 at night, coming home from work. I was and am very thankful for the foolish couple that gave me a ride the 3 miles home that evening. Same goes for the lady that stopped to help my wife with our two children at the time. The time comes when most everyone will need help, often from strangers. I'll not let the crud of society change who I am. Everyone needs to do what they feel is right for them. That's for sure. I may be a fool for helping when I can but I know one thing. Anyone would be damn glad to see this fool at 0 dark:30 when your stuck in a snow bank and you have a 2 hour wait for a AAA tow truck.

that's a different scenario kpw. you didn't run out of gas (i think) and the conditions were dreadful, leading to an understandable breakdown/mishap. most BG's won't try their trickery when they themselves can't make a getaway running through 2 feet of snow or majorly getting their vehicle stuck.
    What's this button do?

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    About 0130 I had someone knock on my door to say they were out of gas. Everyone else was asleep and there was a blizzard (well ok … winter storm advisory) Snow with 30 MPH winds -.15 wind chill etc. He said he and his wife were new to the area. He had the only car and could I help. The nearest gas station is 4 miles away and nothing is open after 2300 except the pay at the pump at one gas station. I got him taken care of. He could not believe how trusting I was. He did not know that I had a XDSC .40 legged in my right hand when I met him at the door. Or that when I drove him to get gas I also had a .380 in my left Coat pocket; I may be “trusting” As long as I have the drop on you, every thing worked out ok, he just needed some help.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

VIP Member
    Two days before I got my ccw permit, I walked outside to get in my car ( during the day ). Just as I got to the corner of my house, a guy walked out from around the corner. I was maybe 8 feet from him. My first thought was "damned, and I get my permit anyday now". Turns out , the guy was out of gas and needed to use the phone. I startled him just as much as he startled me. I let him use my cell, he thanked me and went to his car. Things like that does get a guy thinking....

Wink I'm Thinkin'....You're Lucky to be Alive....

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Two days before I got my ccw permit, I walked outside to get in my car ( during the day ). Just as I got to the corner of my house, a guy walked out from around the corner. I was maybe 8 feet from him. My first thought was "damned, and I get my permit anyday now". Turns out , the guy was out of gas and needed to use the phone. I startled him just as much as he startled me. I let him use my cell, he thanked me and went to his car. Things like that does get a guy thinking....
    You let somebody you don't know get close enough to you to touch you (unless you tossed him the phone) AND you allowed that person to deprive you, even momentarily of your only means to instantly summon help? I should think it would get one to thinking....I'd advise you to immediately go buy a lotto ticket 'cause maybe you didn't use up ALL your luck....but that's a vain hope 'cause....I think you DID.

Why didn't you back up and offer to call AAA or whatever from inside the safety of your home? He's on your property! He appears startled. Maybe because like most burglars, he thinks that homes are EMPTY during the day which frees them to work in peace and remain among the living. THIS time, the threat was nonexistent. Next time....?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

New Member Array BufordTJustice's Avatar
    Well,

If you're a BG for a dignitary or other VIP and somebody blocks the path of your vehicle, you RAM them. Obviously that's overkill, but it illustrates that when somebody blocks your only point of safe exit/escape...whether intentionally or by accident...you should be on HIGH ALERT. What are the odds that they ran out of gas in a position directly obstructing your driveway? They're very slim, to say the least. Why couldn't they just push their car out of the way (could it be more than 6 or 7ft?)? That would have been my command, or else I'd THREATEN to call the cops on them for Drunk Driving. Just my $.02...of course offered in hindsight. FWIW & respectfully submitted.

Exclamation Remember Animal House? RAAAAAMING SPEED!

Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Well, If you're a BG for a dignitary or other VIP and somebody blocks the path of your vehicle, you RAM them. Obviously that's overkill, but it illustrates that when somebody blocks your only point of safe exit/escape...whether intentionally or by accident...you should be on HIGH ALERT.
    Why is that overkill? I'm on a "protection detail" every day of my life. I protect my family and myself. What's good for a dignitary is good for me and mine. If you're denied the portable means of self defense, use whatever comes to hand, even if you happen to be sitting in it. Maybe especially if you happen to be sitting in it.

I knew a teacher at my former inner city high school. Guy was a vet. He's crossing an intersection in his 4x4 Ford F250 when one of our "bad actors" screeches to a stop in front of him and aims a pistol at him from the driver's seat...gangsta style (sideways) He's just giggling to beat all. Seems the two had a little "set to" in the classroom earlier and as usual with teachers who are vets, the teacher came out on top. So the punk decides he's goin' to throw a "scare" into this old guy...mid 40's at the time.

Punk made a big mistake. The second...the INSTANT...the weapon comes into view, the teacher drops his truck into 4x4 LOW and floors it. He plows into the other car and nearly climbs over the the roofline of that low rider. Great excitement especially after the vet slides from his truck, leaps the hood and drags the HOOD from the car, beating him about the head and shoulders. Hood is busted and does time. All vet teachers (including yours truly) are suddenly accorded PSYCHO status and thus....instant respect from the kids. But then we already had that. So I guess the only new aspect was the PSYCHO status. Huh?

Lo there is NOT a scratch on the bumper of that 4x4. Why not? specially reinforced (braces welded to the frame) bumpers front and rear. Hmmmmmm.... that's something to keep in mind.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links