someone broken down/out of gas

This is a discussion on someone broken down/out of gas within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had an incident happen a few times out at my place. I seem to be, for some reason, in a place where people run out ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: someone broken down/out of gas

someone broken down/out of gas

Had an incident happen a few times out at my place. I seem to be, for some reason, in a place where people run out of gas. i've had 2 people in the past 2 years run out of fuel right in fornt of my house.

they have both been peacable "meetings" but last night i had a 'moment of clarity" and saw how this scenario could be a setup.
    the second time it happened it happened to my wife. she was on her way to work and a car was out of gas right in front of our driveway..as in she couldn't leave unless she drove thru the yard. she got out and approached and they stated they were out of gas, could they buy some? well she proceeded to the barn, got the gas can and they were on there way. as it turned out the people were both drunk but i can see how this could be a way to get the driver of a car, occupant of a house with keys, and have there way with whatever they wanted at that point.
    i guess she could have backed up immediately and called the police to handle it but she was on her way to work and it seemed "innocent" enough. just goes to reinforce never let your guard down. unfortunately, she is prolly normally in condition white unless something obvious bumps her to yellow or red but then, for her, it'd prolly be too late.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

2. Remove Ads

Been a potential set-up since the horse and buggy days (got any hay I could buy), probably even before. Be careful and stay safe.

-PB
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Lead Moderator
    I size up people before I stop to see if they need assistance. When in doubt call a PD to check on em.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Good post. It's definitely something to think about. I'd be very careful about the approach and how it's handled especially if they appear obviously intoxicated. If they're clearly intoxicated I'm not giving them any gas just so they can get back on the road and run someone down. At that point the LEO's will be involved. On the other hand, if you do give them gas it get's your driveway/escape route clear fairly quick. As far as the occupants seeming "innocent", never rely on that. I've seen folks who seemed perfectly innocent and happy drunk that suddenly and without warning changed to very nasty real quick. And that applies to the non-drunks as well. Looks can be decieving and perceptions can be altered.

"Breakdowns" has been a source of gang initiation here in South Florida from what I understand. The first car to stop and help the 'setup' gets popped by the wannabe gang member as his proof of worthiness to be part of that gang. There is also an initiation involving rolling up to a cab driver, and just double tapping him to the head. You just gotta watch your own ass out there guys.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    If you wanna help, call the Boys in Blue.

Otherwise, stay inside your house or keep rolling in your vehicle.

And have one hand on a piece.

Senior Moderator
    Just be aware.

There are those that will say not to assist under any circumstances due to the danger of it.

You have to take the whole thing in context. If in doubt or something dosent look or feel right, dont do it. Use your "gut" instinct and learn to listen to it.

On the other hand, I like to treat people as I want to be treated. If I happen to run out of gas,(has'nt happened yet) I would want someone to assist me.

I thinks its a sad thing that we cant help our fellow man when he/she needs it because of concerns for our safety.

All the more reason to be armed at all times.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Had a guy I knew murdered years ago from some creep using just that line. Knock on the door, creep claimed his car broke down, when he was let in he and an accomplice attacked. He slit the throat of my friend. I still have a hard time believing people fall for that line.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Had a guy I knew murdered years ago from some creep using just that line. Knock on the door, creep claimed his car broke down, when he was let in he and an accomplice attacked. He slit the throat of my friend. I still have a hard time believing people fall for that line.
    Yep..it could happen.

Or it could be one of the other 999,999 times that it is just someone out of gas...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

At one time we lived in a kinder and gentler world. Out here the cell phones may not work so one has to use a land line if he is to call out. I am cautious about anyone who I do not know stopping and approaching my house. Therefore, I usually dial 1911 beforehand.

+ 1 Old Chief
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Assistant Administrator
    This reminds me of the ''breakdown'' scam.

Pretty lady tries for attention by her car, with hood up - nice guy stops to help damsel in distress at which point bad guy partner appears from bushes and proceeds to do evil on nice guy.

Appearances can as ever be deceptive - sad tho, as it can stop many of us from rendering aid, when in essence it is in our nature to want to assist.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Good post!

Maybe your bride could have backed up a ways, opened her door and yelled to them? I think I'd get with her and develope some kind of plan for sure! (You probably already have.)

Thanks for the "heads up"!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova
    If they're clearly intoxicated I'm not giving them any gas just so they can get back on the road and run someone down. At that point the LEO's will be involved.
    +1 .. I have zero tolerance for drunk drivers so, fellow human being or not they'd get no gas from me, but I would get 'em a ride .... with the local Sherrif/LEO.

Everything is situational, but for me, this one's a no brainer. Other situations may not be so clear. And, how you help can vary. A phone call to the local PD, garage, or taxi can be helpful. A call to a neighbor might be smart .. all just depends. Helping doesn't necessarily mean sitting down to dinner with 'em, or showing them the inside of your house or barn. Excellent post ... real life situation that happens a lot.

I size up people before I stop to see if they need assistance. When in doubt call a PD to check on em.
    Help need not be "silver platter" assistance. Sadly, the day when help thy "neighbor" (specifically, "strangers" in this context) worked and was safe is mostly over. Unless you know the folks in question, question everything ... as it may well be the last thing you do. It's why Nokia makes cell phones, why the "money" gods invented plastic and why AAA is a no-brainer service to have. Each tool for its purpose, which allows you to stay safe.

A bit sterile, yes. Paranoid to some, yes. Tough. Until you've had this type of situation wrap itself around you, it's hard to believe how quickly it can spin beyond control. BTDT, and it is no picnic. You do not want a planned, multi-person attack against you.

Stay safe by never unplugging your most useful tool: your brain.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 10th, 2006 at 10:55 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links