Stranger In The Back Seat - Page 2

Stranger In The Back Seat

This is a discussion on Stranger In The Back Seat within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would most likely unbuckle as fast as I can and exit, if I think of it I might put it in park, mind you ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Stranger In The Back Seat

I would most likely unbuckle as fast as I can and exit, if I think of it I might put it in park, mind you I would most likely be yelling in a rather girlie manner because this would with my luck happen when I am half asleep on my way to work at 3 am. I have an armed job so the second I am clear of the belt I would be pulling my duty weapon and showing them how big the opening is on a .45 acp.
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

VIP Member
    "Can I drop you somewhere, Sir?"
    RevolvingMag and Spade115 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Like a couple others, I'd probably soil my underwear and scream like a little girl as I fumbled with the seatbelt and hopefully getting the car in park before jumping out and running.

The thought of it freaks me out, and it's crossed my mind more than once - even to the point where I get out and double check to make sure.

It's a pretty helpless position to be in really.

Has anyone watched a recent movie called Let Me In?
    Oh man, I'd never heard of it, but I just watched the trailer. Looks pretty good.
    Let Me In - Trailer - YouTube
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Oh man, I'd never heard of it, but I just watched the trailer. Looks pretty good.
    Let Me In - Trailer - YouTube

^^^^^^OK that was Creepy AND Disturbing^^^^^^

In the op's scenario, I'm either parking/unbuckle/bailin', Or what Guantes suggested, but I'm gonna have to go practice, cause I'm a leftie, and he's gonna know somthing's up when I go for the pistol on my L hip @ about 8o'clock.
    I doubt if I can draw right handed that way w/o him noticing either.

I may have to start carrying a snubbie offhand @ 2ish.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

While admittedly unlikely, I would submit that you could be shot in the back or head, long before you could get your belt unbuckled, open the door and get out.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

PB2
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    While admittedly unlikely, I would submit that you could be shot in the back or head, long before you could get your belt unbuckled, open the door and get out.
    That's 100% true. But the scenario as stated by the OP is the person is just sitting there. Hasn't moved, shown a weapon, or said a word. To me that's even more creepy than a real threat.

Actually the op states that you cannot see if he has a weapon. It may be that it is just out of your vision.

You cannot see if he has a weapon nor has he verbally threatened you.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

The real reason I drive a pickup truck
    Spade115 and JDE101 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Without changing position, draw with my off hand and acquire a proper grip. All of which can be done with virtually no shoulder movement under the right half of my cover garment, not under the seat belt and below the level visible in the mirror. Put my left foot on the brake and turn in the seat to semi face the individual, which I can do with my seat belt buckled and my gun hidden from view. If I see a weapon, bang, bang,bang.
    I agree pretty much with Guantes, only since I carry mirror AIWB I would pull the left hand gun. Upon turning to look at the person in back seat if I see a weapon or any other sign of threat there will be lead in the air.

If the person in back seat is there for no good I don't see getting out of the car an option, you'll never make it.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

First thing I would do is change my Titey Whiteys to Tactical Brown,then Egress the Vehicle in a tactical screaming dive and roll,as I come up on one knee turn 180 as I draw my gun and get sights on Perp,next move depends on their actions
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It is very possible that if the BG is in back seat you may be dead before you can snap your seat belt.

SA is the answer to this and be sure you have the right car in the parking lot.

Nothing like ordering some one out of the car only to find out that it was their car in the first place.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    AS I understand this scenario, you've already buckled up and are in reverse. If the stranger has bad intentions, it's already game over for you. But since s/he hasn't spoken, I don't want to provoke a sublime moment by freaking out. I'd come to a normal stop, put it in park, unholster while I unbuckle, and exit the vehicle smoothly without displaying my weapon. Initiating a gunfight with someone behind you is counterproductive if they have the drop on you through the seat back. If I deduce an evil situation, great bodily harm or death, and they haven't seen my gun, I would create a word distraction to get them to turn their head, so I could put lead over the seat. If I can exit to take cover in front of the engine, then negotiations can begin. Running out in the open wouldn't be a first choice. If the stranger is just seeking help or refuge, I don't want to get caught in the crossfire.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    AS I understand this scenario, you've already buckled up and are in reverse. If the stranger has bad intentions, it's already game over for you. But since s/he hasn't spoken, I don't want to provoke a sublime moment by freaking out. I'd come to a normal stop, put it in park, unholster while I unbuckle, and exit the vehicle smoothly without displaying my weapon. Initiating a gunfight with someone behind you is counterproductive if they have the drop on you through the seat back. If I deduce an evil situation, great bodily harm or death, and they haven't seen my gun, I would create a word distraction to get them to turn their head, so I could put lead over the seat. If I can exit to take cover in front of the engine, then negotiations can begin. Running out in the open wouldn't be a first choice. If the stranger is just seeking help or refuge, I don't want to get caught in the crossfire.

^^^^^^I would just be sending it through the seat, while they are looking at me^^^^^^^^

They wouldn't believe it was happening.

This whole scenario just gave me a good idea.

Use valet parking, or @ the very least, send the wife and kids out to the car while I sit in the relative safety of the mall or restaurant.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Own a compact, after waiting 45minutes hiding in the footwell, the bad guy won't be able to move.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I know we'd all like to think of ourselves as the situational awareness ninjas who always notice everything...

But, of course, the fact of the matter is we are all human and we all make mistakes.
    I'm glad you said this. I like to try and stay aware of everything, but I screw up. We can't see everything, and as much as we'd hate to say it, there are times we zone out, it's natural. I hate when people on the internet think they're secret agents and think EVERYthing can be solved by SA or that they can notice anything.

Anyway, as far as the rest of the OP..... I'd probably wet myself, jump out of my car as fast as I can and then go from there. Can't really say. Never had it happen.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links