Stranger In The Back Seat

This is a discussion on Stranger In The Back Seat within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I drive a manual so since the car is already in reverse I would either let the clutch out and let the car make that ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Stranger In The Back Seat

I drive a manual so since the car is already in reverse I would either let the clutch out and let the car make that jump that will happen to maybe give me a moment to escape or hit it in reverse and ram the closest large object behind me.

After that I'm going to edit the vehicle and draw while retreating.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

I'm surprised that no one else thought of backing up and ramming something.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Maybe they did and deemed it unacceptable/less desirable.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Ask for gas money...

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I know we'd all like to think of ourselves as the situational awareness ninjas who always notice everything...

But, of course, the fact of the matter is we are all human and we all make mistakes. We are assuming our "humanity" in this scenario and that you have failed (for whatever reason) to check your back seat before entering your vehicle and have noticed nothing amiss upon entering the vehicle (such as signs of forced entry, etc).

So, let's say you get in your car.. doesn't matter if it's at home or the grocery store or wherever.

Let's say you are parked facing and against a building or other larger object/vehicle (your home, garage, a bank, the store, SUV, truck, tree, etc) meaning you cannot drive forward without running into said object.

You have put your seat belt on, started the vehicle and even put it into reverse and look up and into the rear-view mirror to back up and see a stranger. He (or she (doesn't matter)) has not made any demands or said anything yet. You cannot see if he has a weapon nor has he verbally threatened you.

What do you do?

PS... and for those of you who do not have back seats because you drive a back-seat-less vehivle or claim no one could fit in your back seat for whatever reason, just play along by assuming you are driving a vehicle that is not only equipped with a back seat but one in which a someone could sit.
    Assuming she isn't smoking hot, barely clothed and grinning like she just found her next meal...

I'd probably do one of the following:

1. Hit the seatbelt release, get out of the car and draw down on the sucker in the box of death (that's what the interior of a car is when I'm outside of it with a gun and you are stuck inside the car looking at my grinning face behind the gun.)

2. Hit the car's accelerator and gun it in reverse. I've got a seatbelt and being in the driver's seat, it's the best protected in the car. I'm going to be fine. Are you?

3. Look into the rearview mirror, grin and say "Good. The summoning worked and The Master sent you. You shall perform the tasks I set for you, or I shall have you tortured in the pits for all eternity. I assume you understand the rules of this existence and I will not have to clean up any accidents?"
    nightsonge likes this.

A thought. So you throw it in reverse, hit the gas and smash your car up. The intruder turns out to be merely a pushy panhandler.

I skipped a couple of pages, so maybe someone else has already posted this.

In the first place, NEVER EVER leave your vehicle unlocked.

Mine is locked even in my carport which is well lighted and in sight of the house.

It is never unlocked day or night.

60 years ago I had a raincoat stolen out of my car parked in a residential area on the curb practically under the front window of the house. A lesson I never forgot.

My vehicles is locked whether I am in it our out of it.

The only exception is when it is in the dealer's garage area being serviced.

So as far as I am concerned, this thread has no validity and I am not sympathetic to anyone who finds him/herself in that predicament.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    A thought. So you throw it in reverse, hit the gas and smash your car up. The intruder turns out to be merely a pushy panhandler.
    I never said it was a good idea, just that it was an idea...

Just a general statement, not directed at you.

I'd just like to point out that even though this has never happened to me, I have been in a situation that took me by as much surprise. I was 21 years old and living in an apartment at the time. I was leaving for work one morning and it was dark and rainy. I use my keyless remote and unlocked the door. I got inside, sat down, buckled my seatbelt, started the car, then reached down to turn in my radio.. only the radio seemed to be missing, but I couldn't see for sure. Next thing I wanted to do was turn the dome light on, but it wouldn't come on. I looked up at the roof and noticed the dome light was hanging by a wire about 6 inches off the ceiling, because it had been ripped out. At that moment I finally realized that somebody had broken into my car. I had a panic moment because I also realized they might still be in the car. It was so dark I wouldn't have been able to tell if they were back there or not and since my dome light wasn't working, my instinctive reaction was to unbuckle and jump out of the car back into the rain. My adrenaline was really pumping too. I was finally able to assess that nobody was in the back seat, and opened one of the rear doors just to be sure. At that point I realize the lock was all torn up (as well as part of the door panel) on the driver's side door. I had missed seeing that, as well as the dome light and other damage when entering my car. Sure, I can blame the darkness and the rain for my lack of observation. But in the end, I really had no excuse.

So the lesson learned is that when I approach my car at night and press the little button on the door handle that unlocks my car (it detects the keyless remote in my pocket) I make sure the lights come on and I quickly look at the front and back seats before I open the door and get in. If it is daytime, I actually do this before ever touching the car.

On a side note, my car uses a keyless system. There is no keyhole in the car, you just press a button to turn it on and it comes on as long as the key fob is detected inside the car. So that means if I'm ever car-jacked, and I have to get out of my car the thief is going to discover the car won't go very far. And when he comes to ask for the key-fob (assuming he is smart enough to realize that is what he needs) he will get some lead instead, since I always keep my gun on my person and not in the glove box.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    While screaming like a little girl, I've slammed it into park and I'm getting out of the vehicle.
    You had me in tears.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    NOBODY is getting in the back-seat of my car. '82 Honda Accord hatchback. I have 2 doors. I also tend to keep a loaded .357 on my person. But, the way my back windows are set up, I can see into the back seat without opening any doors, or even getting too close to the car. It's also a 5 speed. Automatics are for little old ladies too old to push that third pedal anymore. ( )

But, I'll play along.

I probably won't own an automatic 4 door car, so, I'll say it's manual. (I'm going to pretend it's a Scooby- because they're awesome)

Car is rolling in reverse, I see the eyes over my shoulder. "HOLY..." and bring the car to a stop, while trying to fight panic and lots of anger. As I'm asking what they want, I will be reaching for/drawing my lovely little snubbie, and preparing to go deaf, while starting the process of removing myself from the car.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    I skipped a couple of pages, so maybe someone else has already posted this.

In the first place, NEVER EVER leave your vehicle unlocked.

Mine is locked even in my carport which is well lighted and in sight of the house.

It is never unlocked day or night.

60 years ago I had a raincoat stolen out of my car parked in a residential area on the curb practically under the front window of the house. A lesson I never forgot.

My vehicles is locked whether I am in it our out of it.

The only exception is when it is in the dealer's garage area being serviced.

So as far as I am concerned, this thread has no validity and I am not sympathetic to anyone who finds him/herself in that predicament.
    A locked door is not much of a barrier for many... just sayin'.

Interesting scenario, having seen this happen almost exactly as described and the outcome, this thread is an eye opener.

I might be in trouble with this one.
    If I got in my truck and started backing up and heard yelling, screaming, and threats from the back seat I would assume it was my mother in law and avoid looking directly at her. I would continue on my way as that is what my married life training has taught me to do.
    INccwchris likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links