Stranger In The Back Seat - Page 4

Stranger In The Back Seat

This is a discussion on Stranger In The Back Seat within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 21bubba Ask for gas money... Or invite him to lunch....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Stranger In The Back Seat

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Ask for gas money...
    Or invite him to lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    A thought. So you throw it in reverse, hit the gas and smash your car up. The intruder turns out to be merely a pushy panhandler.
    merely? Anyone that decides they can entire my property to be "pushy" is not "merely" a panhandler and will be treated as such. I'll evac as fast as possible first and if prevented from evac will do whatever I can up to and including destroying the car with myself in it. If I'm going...I'm taking the bugger with me!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    I might be in trouble with this one.
    If I got in my truck and started backing up and heard yelling, screaming, and threats from the back seat I would assume it was my mother in law and avoid looking directly at her. I would continue on my way as that is what my married life training has taught me to do.
    +1 on the "selective" hearing. After 3 wives scattered over 38 years of married life, you would be amazed at what you can "block out".
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The bloody hook hanging on my door handle worries me more.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I would personally floor it, they want to try and play with my life, im sure going to play with theirs. the back seat of an F150 with a large tollbox filled with tools isnt the best friend to have in the back with you sliding around corners.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member
    "OK Great. Now we can use the ride share lanes."

Actually, I had a situation. I was in the car, parked at a gas station, leaning over to replace a fuse, when someone jumped into the passenger seat. I wasn't in a position to draw, and going berserk under the steering column doesn't end well. Thankfully she just needed a ride across town. My SA ninja forgot to keep the doors locked at all times.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I've actually always been really careful about looking in the back seat since college. A good friend of mine didn't look in her back seat, and another friend of ours was hiding in the back seat when she got off of work at 2 a.m. and scared the bejeezus out of her.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Back in the day I took a trip to FL. I was driving a rental car and got turned around.

I stopped at a "Stop" sign where a bunch of thugs were hangin out and a guy opened the back door & jumped in the back seat and said "GO!, DRIVE!". (It turns, out because I was "white" and in the wrong neighborhood, he thought I wanted to buy drugs.)

I told him GET OUT I wasn't interested in buying any drugs. After he wouldn't get out, I drove a few blocks and rounded a corner; so I was out of site of his friends. He became pretty incensed and told me he wasn't getting out until I bought some crack. Luckily, I had my pistol under my thigh. I pulled it and told him one more time "Get Out or DIE!" This time he began to beg for his life and got out.

Since then, I always try to keep my doors locked and a firearm handy; especially if I'm driving around in unfamiliar territory.

-

I would quickly unbuckle the seat belt, open the door, and get out of there. Based on the information in the original post, you really don't know what you are facing. You could have a drunk in the back seat thinking he crawled into a cab.

As a side note from my cab driving days, if you fire a weapon of any substantial caliber inside an enclosed vehicle, expect to have substantial hearing loss for awhile. One of my fellow drivers discovered that the hard way.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I have always checked the backseat of my vehicles since I was a teenager growing up in Gary, IN back in the 50's. Always kept doors locked. Just the way I was taught by my parents. Just a way of life! I would never dream of leaving a door unlocked, or not checking a vehicle before entering. Been doing it for over 50 years and am unlikely to change unless I get totally senile. Then I probably won't be driving anyway.

However, to go along with the OP's scenario, I would slam the vehicle into park with my right hand while hitting the seat belt release button with my left, then draw with my right as I opened the door with my left, exit the vehicle and point my .45 at the individual in the back seat. If they made a threatening move, they would have a couple of extra holes that were not give to them at birth. Regardless, I would call 911. If it was just a drunk or panhandler, the cops get to deal with them anyway, because they don't belong in someone elses vehicle. After it was all over, I would go into my house and put on some clean underwear.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Hit the fare button and ask where he needs to go

Playing along with your scenario since you asked nicely.

Being that I drive a standard, I would probably kill the ignition switch. Fastest way to stop my Jeep. If I simply push in the clutch, take it out of gear and try to set the emergency break (which requires me to open the drivers door in order to set) those are lots of actions and both hands and one foot to accomplish.

While turning the ignition off, I would be undoing my seat belt and then opening the door and exiting the vehicle.

I am not drawing down on the person at this time, since based on the OP, they aren't necessarily a bad guy/girl yet, they are simply in the wrong vehicle. I am not slamming my vehicle into another auto. Just as every bullet we shoot has potential legal liability, so does running into other parked cars/wedging innocent people between them who are simply trying to pick up the weeks groceries.

I will ask for an explanation of what they are doing why they are there ect. If they give the answer that someone was stalking threatening them, whatever, I will call the police for them. If they intended on doing me harm, I will call the police, if they don't have a good explanation, I will call the police.

Based on the OP's scenario, there isn't any threat or anything at that time.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    While admittedly unlikely, I would submit that you could be shot in the back or head, long before you could get your belt unbuckled, open the door and get out.
    True. Therefore anything you do at that point can't make the situation any worse.

------

I also say bail out pronto. Just remember that it might be a friend playing a joke, or even someone that YOU forgot was waiting in the vehicle for you!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

That's why I chose a measured response with no vehicle damage, no weapon displayed to the back seater, yet immediate response capabilities in the shortest possible time frame, should it be necessary.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

No contact with the person in the back seat accept they see me and i see them. I slam on brakes, exit vehicle, and draw weapon and call 911. SC castle doctrine includes your vehicle so any percieved threat would be met with quick accurate deadly force. If he seems confused and non-threatening i wait for police to come and let the operator know what i think the issue might be and what color shirt i have and that i have a cwp and feel as if my life might be indanger!

In reality if he is anywhere near my golf clubs in the backseat im droppin that mfer. Nobody touches my Mizuno's!!!!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links