Stranger In The Back Seat - Page 5

Stranger In The Back Seat

This is a discussion on Stranger In The Back Seat within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking this is something that needs to be done in FOF with airsofts before it is done for real. I'm thinking a lot of ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Stranger In The Back Seat

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I'm thinking this is something that needs to be done in FOF with airsofts before it is done for real. I'm thinking a lot of GGs are going to get shot.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

You read my mind.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I am so freaked out by this that tbh I always check the car from the back forward. Its paranoid.

But if that DID happen to me?
    Scream like a little girl and try and bail in the fastest way possible. Undo seatbelt and jump out door probably soiling myself in the process.
    Hell I would probably keep running until I was far enough to stop and reassess. Most people cant hit a moving target and I would be too freaked out. Draw/911/watch and report.

Meh I am okay with being a total sissy in that situation. And I wouldnt even bother with the brake or park. Thats what insurance is for.

Anyone who thinks locking your car door is sufficient you are wrong.

Modern cars can be easily broken into using any number of rfid detectors. Older cars its a bit tougher.
    Hell I think it was Ford trucks where there was an issue with them randomly being able to unlock 1 in like 20-30 other fords with any random for truck digital key. Not sure what company but it was a big deal.

I hope to learn more options as I read more of the thread, but I have thought about this before, altho probably not in enough depth.

In the scenario as stated, I would stop immediately, slamming on brakes, get out and run for the closest people or cover. Will draw if I am carrying.

In my mind, this person is there because they want something...I dont know what, but I figure they will try to get it before shooting me...so I will try to escape.

Btw, I have a tendency to start my vehicle and get moving before buckling up...I always lock the door immediately when I get in, but it unlocks when you pull the handle....so with a little luck, I wont have to unbuckle
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    A thought. So you throw it in reverse, hit the gas and smash your car up. The intruder turns out to be merely a pushy panhandler.
    Then they're probably gonna end up a black and blue pushy panhandler....from the hard stop of course.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Then they're probably gonna end up a black and blue pushy panhandler....from the hard stop of course.
    In the mean time you have several thousand dollars of damage to your vehicle. Insurance will probably pay for most of it, but you then still have a smashed vehicle that has been repaired. I'll pass on that, unless it is a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    "OK Great. Now we can use the ride share lanes."

Actually, I had a situation. I was in the car, parked at a gas station, leaning over to replace a fuse, when someone jumped into the passenger seat. I wasn't in a position to draw, and going berserk under the steering column doesn't end well. Thankfully she just needed a ride across town. My SA ninja forgot to keep the doors locked at all times.
    I haz a ritual for gas stations...that would not happen to me.
    Fortune favors the bold.

In the mean time you have several thousand dollars of damage to your vehicle. Insurance will probably pay for most of it, but you then still have a smashed vehicle that has been repaired. I'll pass on that, unless it is a last resort.
    Either you decide it's a life or death situation in an instant...or you dont.

I think if it's a pushy, unarmed panhandler, your legal bills might add up as well. Was not your reaction to shoot first, ask questions later? Unless different laws apply to cops, which they might.
    Fortune favors the bold.

VIP Member
    I got into my car one time after paying for my gas, and could not get the key to fit. A lady who walked out behind me stood several feet away watching for a few seconds and started back inside. I'm glad her husband wasn't sitting in the back seat, and I'm glad I didn't shoot him. I was in the wrong car.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Either you decide it's a life or death situation in an instant...or you dont.

I think if it's a pushy, unarmed panhandler, your legal bills might add up as well. Was not your reaction to shoot first, ask questions later? Unless different laws apply to cops, which they might.
    No, that is incorrect. If you read my post, my solution was to covertly draw without revealing my gun to the intruder and be prepared to immediately shoot if I saw a weapon on turning to semi-face the intruder.

No, that is incorrect. If you read my post, my solution was to covertly draw without revealing my gun to the intruder and be prepared to immediately shoot if I saw a weapon on turning to semi-face the intruder.
    heh, yeah, all I saw was 'bang bang bang.'

But like I said...you have to decide if it's life or death in an instant.

And like you said, if they really want to shoot you, they'll do so right thru the seat before you can do anything.

The 'black and blue' post was a joke btw. Man.
    Fortune favors the bold.

I was unsure of the amount of levity in the 'black and blue' post, sorry.

In addition to deciding if it is a life and death, you must also decide on the action that you feel provides the best possibility of prevailing.

If they just want to shoot you that is true, but if they intend to shoot only upon resistance, covert actions would be valuable.

OK, here's a question, depending on how your states castle doctrine law is worded, for those that say they would exit the vehicle and draw on the person in the back seat. You are now OUTSIDE your vehicle. DOES castle doctrine apply since you are not in the same space as the intruder? I suppose the same coulds be asked concerning your house.
    Suppose you walk up to your house, and look through the window and see an intruder. Your not in danger since he doesn't know your there.
    Someone said Castle Doctrine in based on the assumption that someone entering an OCCUPIED building means to harm the occupants. Can you enter your house, knowing that it's been broken into and still claim castle doctrine right to shoot? I know it's not smart to enter, but is it legal to and then shoot.

At first I was thinking, ram the car into something but Gauntes made me reconsider that. I don't drive a vechicle with a back seat and now I'm kinda glad. If I did though, I think I'd stash a small BUG in one of those holsters that attach to your seat and discreetly grab it as I turn around and distract him by chatting with him. "Hey there, how you doing, sir." That kind of thing. Mess with his mind. I like the idea of weirding my opponent out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I got into my car one time after paying for my gas, and could not get the key to fit. A lady who walked out behind me stood several feet away watching for a few seconds and started back inside. I'm glad her husband wasn't sitting in the back seat, and I'm glad I didn't shoot him. I was in the wrong car.
    LOL

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links