Stranger In The Back Seat

This is a discussion on Stranger In The Back Seat within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know we'd all like to think of ourselves as the situational awareness ninjas who always notice everything... But, of course, the fact of the ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Stranger In The Back Seat

Senior Moderator

Stranger In The Back Seat

I know we'd all like to think of ourselves as the situational awareness ninjas who always notice everything...

But, of course, the fact of the matter is we are all human and we all make mistakes. We are assuming our "humanity" in this scenario and that you have failed (for whatever reason) to check your back seat before entering your vehicle and have noticed nothing amiss upon entering the vehicle (such as signs of forced entry, etc).

So, let's say you get in your car.. doesn't matter if it's at home or the grocery store or wherever.

Let's say you are parked facing and against a building or other larger object/vehicle (your home, garage, a bank, the store, SUV, truck, tree, etc) meaning you cannot drive forward without running into said object.

You have put your seat belt on, started the vehicle and even put it into reverse and look up and into the rear-view mirror to back up and see a stranger. He (or she (doesn't matter)) has not made any demands or said anything yet. You cannot see if he has a weapon nor has he verbally threatened you.

What do you do?

PS... and for those of you who do not have back seats because you drive a back-seat-less vehivle or claim no one could fit in your back seat for whatever reason, just play along by assuming you are driving a vehicle that is not only equipped with a back seat but one in which a someone could sit.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    While screaming like a little girl, I've slammed it into park and I'm getting out of the vehicle. Any attack from the back seat is met with elbows. Drawing while reacting isn't likely an option for me, since my IWB is covered by the seat belt. It's not pretty or flattering, but that's likely what would happen.

Once I'm out of the vehicle, I'm reassessing based on what the occupant has or has not done.

VIP Member
    I would have to assume that in this situation I am alone as more eyes are more likely to have noticed the additional passenger.

As the situation allows, stop vehicle, remove seatbelt and exit the vehicle. Additional actions would be dictated by the actions of the (assumed) BG.
    oneshot likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Put the car in park, fast, un buckle the seat belt, fast, and get the hell out of the car, FAST. If its as you described and on eye contact has been made, no weapons produced, thats what im doing.
    oneshot, Secret Spuk and 9MMare like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

By Texas Castle Doctrine that person is considered the same as if he or she was in my bed room uninvited.

As to actions take by me it would depend on what the person in back seat does next.

I would not give in to being kidnapped but would hand him my wallet if ask for along with a 45acp slug for keeps.

There is nothing to say that if you comply with him he will not murder you any way!!!!!!

Take the chance and fight let him know he is in a fight for his live.

All this said, and it turns out to be just a kid pulling a prank then he needs to know life and death are in a split second and stupid will get you killed.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    I probably poop my pants and the I run like heck! I may even remember to stop the car first, maybe.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Without changing position, draw with my off hand and acquire a proper grip. All of which can be done with virtually no shoulder movement under the right half of my cover garment, not under the seat belt and below the level visible in the mirror. Put my left foot on the brake and turn in the seat to semi face the individual, which I can do with my seat belt buckled and my gun hidden from view. If I see a weapon, bang, bang,bang.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Without changing position, draw with my off hand and acquire a proper grip. All of which can be done with virtually no shoulder movement under the right half of my cover garment, not under the seat belt and below the level visible in the mirror. Put my left foot on the brake and turn in the seat to semi face the individual, which I can do with my seat belt buckled and my gun hidden from view. If I see a weapon, bang, bang,bang.
    I'm assuming this means you carry in the appendix position?

No, I carry at 3 o'clock owb with a pronounced forward cant
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    No, I carry at 3 o'clock owb with a pronounced forward cant
    Ahhh.. got ya.. I was trying to envision your draw method described... I think I got it.

PB2
    If the person has not moved to attack you or threatened you in any way, put the car in park, get out, and run away.

If I'm driving my Aston Martin, I would simply hit the "eject button". Problem solved.

007 ASTON MARTIN DB5 - YouTube
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I don't know about a total stranger ..... I've always at least known her name
    INccwchris likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Hmmmm...unbuckle my seatbelt, open the door and roll out. Leave it in reverse and rolling.
    If they're cleaver enough to be there without me noticing, lets see if they're cleaver enough to drive from the back seat.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Like a couple others, I'd probably soil my underwear and scream like a little girl as I fumbled with the seatbelt and hopefully getting the car in park before jumping out and running.

The thought of it freaks me out, and it's crossed my mind more than once - even to the point where I get out and double check to make sure.

It's a pretty helpless position to be in really.

Has anyone watched a recent movie called Let Me In?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links