Attempted Kidnapping????????

This is a discussion on Attempted Kidnapping???????? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today, my son (1 year old) and I were outside in the front yard. I was sitting on the porch having a smoke and he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Attempted Kidnapping????????

Today, my son (1 year old) and I were outside in the front yard. I was sitting on the porch having a smoke and he was walking up and down the sidewalk, "playing". I spot a mid 90's yellow ford van driving slowly down the street towards my house with the back doors open and I could see a "hispanic" looking guys head (he was standing on the rear bumper), I jump up and head toward my kid while at the same time reaching in my pocket for my LCR (not to pull but just to have my hand on it). As the van got close to my corner 2 "hispanic" males jumped out with yellow bags in hand, at this point i realized that they were delivering the new yellowpages, they waved "hello'", i waved back one guy put the bag on my step the other put the bag on the guy across the street and they continued down the street. For just a split second I thought they guys were trying to grab my kid, kindda freaky! Just thought I'd share.

I imagine there was with some satisfaction in knowing that you were prepared, had it gone the other way.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Way to be alert and on the ball enough to see this coming before it got right on top of you or your child.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

While it turned out to be a totally legitimate delivery of phone books, it was something which looked out of the ordinary and put you on alert.

You don't normally see vans moving slowly down the street with doors open and someone crouching just inside. Couple that with your small kid playing out in the yard and we wonder how some many child abductions occur in broad daylight.

They happen just like that! And thankfully, your radar was fully operational and you had more than just a role of breath mints in your pocket.

I think you can give yourself a pat on the back for being alert and ready to respond.

And people wonder why we preach you should have your gun on your person while you are at home, or out in the front yard?

It makes us all shudder to wonder two things. What if it turned out to be someone abducting your child? And what if you didn't have your gun in your pocket?

It would likely leave you in a blind panic. Do you run into the house and get your gun before getting in your car to try and chase them down? (You certainly don't want to let them out of your sight!) Would you have to go inside to get your car keys? Do you just call 911 and wait for the police to show up? Would you have to go inside to get your phone? Would you be able to give police a good description of the vehicle and the people taking your kid? This is what a vast majority of people would be faced with.

Isn't it much easier and better piece of mind, to have your gun on your person at all times, and utilize good situational awareness when your kid is outside playing? It allows the person who is prepared a much greater chance of thwarting a crime than to be one of the people in the group running around in a panic wondering what to do.

Good job! Glad it turned out to be nothing. And again, give yourself a pat on the back for being a person who is in command of their own life and that of their loved ones.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Job well done. The only thing I would've done differently is to ask them to take my copy of the yellow pages with them!

Pays to stay in the yellow! Good job!

Does anybody even look in the yellow pages anymore?
    When those things appear on my porch they sit there about a week until I get around to taking them to the trash.
    OldMick likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Condition yellow to orange in a flash. Excellent SA! Stay safe.

Good Job staying focused,glad there was no need to draw,espically with your son around.

Congrats on the mental alertness...it's amazing how many individuals would never have noticed a thing.
    Huh, what van?
    Bark'n likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just to ask a dumb question, but you were allowing a one year old to play on the sidewalk by a street by themselves, while you were on the porch? Am I missing something? What is the distance from the porch to the sidewalk? Is this one year old more than a very clumsy toddler? Sorry I'm asking questions, but I am just a bit confused. A toddler playing by a street without a parent immediately close just kind of struck me wrong, although I may not be picturing the lay-out correctly. I guess on a cul-de-sac or super quiet street and a shallow front yard...............Course I'm old and slow.............

VIP Member
    Agree R&R-- those little rug rats are fast. Kiddo playing near a curb is always a big NO. Some of them don't even learn to watch out for cars till they are in HS.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Good on the SD,But like Rocknglock said if the situation is as described might wanta keep Junior closer,My older brother was fatally struck by a semi when he was 5,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Just to ask a dumb question, but you were allowing a one year old to play on the sidewalk by a street by themselves, while you were on the porch? Am I missing something? What is the distance from the porch to the sidewalk? Is this one year old more than a very clumsy toddler? Sorry I'm asking questions, but I am just a bit confused. A toddler playing by a street without a parent immediately close just kind of struck me wrong, although I may not be picturing the lay-out correctly. I guess on a cul-de-sac or super quiet street and a shallow front yard...............Course I'm old and slow.............

the side walk is about 10' from the place that i was sitting (the front steps) then about 20' from the sidewalk to the street that is grass and then a big ditch, and yes he's a typical clumsy kid, i dont smoke inside the house and when i go out he likes to go out too and walk up and down the sidewalk, i have predetermind borders that if he crosses i go get him and bring him back, when the temps start falling he will have to stay inside and by next spring we will have to start using the back yard that's fenced in, why not use the back yard now??? because the sidewalk is good for walking when you are 1, the bumpy grass of the back yard is not.

Thanks for the update,usually when we think sidewalk were thinking within 5 feet of the street,you would not believe some of the things I see down here when it comes to kids.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links