Dogs and deadly force

This is a discussion on Dogs and deadly force within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading a post earlier on aggressive dogs and defense. Just thought I would get some opinions on a scenario. You are walking along ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Dogs and deadly force

Dogs and deadly force

I was reading a post earlier on aggressive dogs and defense. Just thought I would get some opinions on a scenario. You are walking along a street, ally, wooded trail, what ever you prefer, and an aggressive dog tries to bite you. Would you shoot it? Would you try to kick it? When would you shoot, before it gets to you? After it bites you?

Matthew
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

2. Remove Ads

If it was a little "yip-yip" dog I would probably just kick-it. Pit-bull or something the size of a German Shepherd I would most likely draw and shoot it.

VIP Member
    A scenario I deal with regularly, since my wife and I take very long bicycle rides on country roads with lots of dogs out there some days. I also trained dogs professionally for fifteen years, so I can read a dog pretty well. Somewhere between 90-95% of all dogs will back down when confronted by a forceful voice screaming the word "no" while facing them. Failing that, a nice squirt from a water bottle when they get close backs most of them down. For the remainder, whether or not I would shoot them depends. An ankle-biter, no. A 130-lb presa de canario heading for my wife, absolutely.
    oneshot likes this.

Yell, oc, blade.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Too many variables to answer definitively. I HAVE begun carrying a walking stick on my daily walks, since two new dogs have moved into the neighborhood (an Australian cattle dog, and an adult boxer). I think a stun baton may be in order.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Just this week a guy shot a pit bull that was attacking. As for me, I would 'shoot to stop' just like any other 'fear for life' encounter. Of course if its just a smaller dog that isn't going to cause much damage then I would deal with it. I carry OC but its a pit or rottie' then I'm not taking a chance. I'm very much a dog lover with two at my feet but still.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Cattle prod!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Well we have established that most people would shoot a large dog that is attacking, what do you think would be the legal ramifications of shooting "lassie" with a pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by Kahnkem View Post
    Well we have established that most people would shoot a large dog that is attacking, what do you think would be the legal ramifications of shooting "lassie" with a pistol?
    None.

Edit: I stand on the grounds of being fearful of death or great bodily harm!

You'd be legally responsible for getting Timmy out of the well.

VIP Member
    I'm more of a "when-do-I-have-to-shoot?" kind of guy than one who worries about what happens afterward.

Right or wrong, in the legal system, a domesticated animal is considered property, and the only ramifications from an unjustified shooting of an attacking dog would probably be; a) A property loss claim by the owner of the animal, &/or b) A possible charge of improper discharge of a firearm by the local constabulary.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Legal ramifications would be secondary to my concerns if I felt the need to shoot.
    Mike1956, atctimmy and baren like this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    My take on this as what I see most people post and say: Most CCers will shoot a dog to quick and a BG they'll have to think about it. Some Lawyer may not like it.

I think most dogs will back down and most BGs need shot as soon as they show aggression. Both are showing their natural traits.
    Eagleks likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Right or wrong, in the legal system, a domesticated animal is considered property, and the only ramifications from an unjustified shooting of an attacking dog would probably be; a) A property loss claim by the owner of the animal, &/or b) A possible charge of improper discharge of a firearm by the local constabulary.
    So what you are saying is that if it is justified I only have to worry about the local LE having a bad day and charging me with improper discharge of a weapon.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links