SC tow truck driver claims self-defense in Christmas Killing

This is a discussion on SC tow truck driver claims self-defense in Christmas Killing within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These new details don't sound too good. It sounds like a murder to me if it's true....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: SC tow truck driver claims self-defense in Christmas Killing

VIP Member
    These new details don't sound too good. It sounds like a murder to me if it's true.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    It does throw a different light on it, doesn't it? Bears some similarities to the shooting incident where the pharmacist went for another gun and came back to finish the robber off after he was already down. The pharmacist in Oklahoma was convicted of murder.
    I was thinking the same thing as soon as the shot to the head was mentioned...not good!
    He threw his life away with that last shot.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing as soon as the shot to the head was mentioned...not good!
    He threw his life away with that last shot.IMHO
    add the sarcastic "feliz navidad" quip to that and it shows a callousness for human life that doesn't play well with a jury when you are trying to convince them that you were truly in fear of your own life and simply acted in self defense as any other reasonable individual would have done.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    These new details don't sound too good. It sounds like a murder to me if it's true.
    Absolutely! If this guy did as it's being stated, he needs to go down hard! IMO, brandishing a weapon is not a threat, it's just a guy brandishing a weapon, and a call to law enforcement is in order. If the shooting victim would have drawn the pistol and pointed it at the tow guy then yes, I can see where he thought his life might be threatened, then it's on, If not, the guy's guilty as hell and needs to pay for his bad judgment. If it was up to me, I'd give the piece of trash an additional ten years for the after the act head shot and the comment alone.

And, in front of the victims wife to boot; what a loser!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    In answer to some of the replies that followed my treatise on this case: 1) I agree that this is very similar to the pharmacist case and almost identical--as I said, testimony is very contradictory on van driver gun and I would think prosecutors can get 30 years on manslaughter and may lose on murder; there is little doubt that the last shot was an execution and a hate crime execution at that. 2) the tow guy is not a nice guy--he is trouble and has been for many years 3) the neighborhood was built with very narrow roads--probably someone in the town made a bunch of money allowing the developer to build more houses when land is not being used for normal standard roadways. This caused problems with emergency vehicles when cars are parked on the road. The homeowner association contracted with a tow company to police and tow. This tow driver booted because he is a sleaze and then he commands $300 to remove a wheel boot instead of going thru effort to bring car back to his yard. The van guy was only there for less than a hour dropping off xmas presents at his brother's house--more sleaze by the tow guy.
    I would hope that in addition to to seeing this guy go away for 30 years , this family sues the town (it was their stupid roadway design contrary to standards), the homeowners association (no due diligence when they hired this sleazebucket with a history of problems), and certainly the tow company (who by now I am sure are out of business and long gone).

VIP Member
    Right and wrong, legal and illegal, moral and ethical are all fairly blurred in this one. Whatever the circumstances, and whatever the outcome, one important lesson is glaringly re-iterated. In a confrontational situation, it is a terrible plan to threateningly display a firearm simply as a means of intimidating one's adversary. It is an equally-terrible plan to turn away from said adversary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Right and wrong, legal and illegal, moral and ethical are all fairly blurred in this one. Whatever the circumstances, and whatever the outcome, one important lesson is glaringly re-iterated. In a confrontational situation, it is a terrible plan to threateningly display a firearm simply as a means of intimidating one's adversary. It is an equally-terrible plan to turn away from said adversary.
    There is also another lesson. When the threat has been stopped, stop shooting. A coup de grâce in the heat of the moment will always go against you.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    There is also another lesson. When the threat has been stopped, stop shooting. A coup de grâce in the heat of the moment will always go against you.
    Yeah, and it's that move right there that I think this guy should be charged for murder.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

From what I have read on the Island Packet blogs (Disqus) there are many who are infuriated that murder is not the charge--particularly and exclusively on that last shot. I agree with two replies recently made. Van driver should never have turned his back on the tow guy--I do not think he thought that the tow guy was in fact going back for a gun. If I am not mistaken, the tow guy threw the keys to the boot on the ground and I think the van guy was in process of beginning to remove the boot--that is why he was not paying any more attention to the tow guy. My other comment is that brandishing has consequences---it easily rises to the level of presumption of imminent danger and if you brandish you can get yourself killed by the other party. You present your firearm when you are ready to defend yourself--period--end of story. Any other reason is not only a crime but in this case--fatal. As I said in my original comments and I have said on the blog in the paper--if I were on a jury and leaving aside the last shot, which hopefully puts this tow guy in jail for 30 years, all the other shots could easily be considered self defense, especially since the testimony by the van guys family (the only other "witnesses" there) seemed from what I read to be inconsistent and biased to the point of being discounted greatly. The whole story, considering it was xmas eve, is just one big tragedy.

What really gets me is that these idiots fail to make payments on the BANKS car; and then the BANK does the paperwork to recover it and these IDIOTS think it's their car. WRONG - not until you have a pink-slip! So, basically the property did NOT belong to the dead guy, he was using it illegally (not paying).

Hey DeathRales: With all due respect to your reply, your comments have nothing to do with Olivera's death and you seem to be discounting his death, which is improper and demeaning. The brandishing alone tells you he cannot be a "perfect citizen" even though he was legal CC. He did not deserve what happened even if the tow driver had been the repo man.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    "Van guy" was wrong. 'Tow guy' was even more wrong. Everybody loses.

Olivera SHOULD NOT have put his hand ANYWHERE near is weapon. Definitely not shown it.

'Tow guy' (can't remember his name- sorry) should not have had to go back to his truck- if you're going to carry for defense, it does no good to leave it in the truck. Still, not the worst of what he did. If he was 'allowed' to get back to his truck, to get his weapon, he could have left safely; he had no reason to shoot. Then, getting to that final shot... There was no need for it. Olivera was down, and out of the fight.

No need for a final shot, delivered at close range for a kill; I think he just wanted to kill someone. AND the comment?
    Nah. Put him away, and leave him there.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathRales View Post
    What really gets me is that these idiots fail to make payments on the BANKS car; and then the BANK does the paperwork to recover it and these IDIOTS think it's their car. WRONG - not until you have a pink-slip! So, basically the property did NOT belong to the dead guy, he was using it illegally (not paying).
    What really get's me is people who have no idea what they are talking about.
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

eb
    Well assuming thats how it went down, the shooter needs to do life or the death chamber. That said, the dead guy would probably be alive today if he didn't have a "badass complex" by pulling and brandishing that weapon (unless he was fearing for his life). In my opinion, you NEVER pull that gun unless you are willing and have just cause to use it. If Olivera was in fear of his life and pulled it, then he should have shot the driver.

Did anyone note the smirk?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links