SC tow truck driver claims self-defense in Christmas Killing - Page 3

SC tow truck driver claims self-defense in Christmas Killing

This is a discussion on SC tow truck driver claims self-defense in Christmas Killing within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah, pretty smug looking and in incredibly poor taste, knowing how he just killed another human being for nothing more than a macho moment by ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: SC tow truck driver claims self-defense in Christmas Killing

  1. #31
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    7,077
    Yeah, pretty smug looking and in incredibly poor taste, knowing how he just killed another human being for nothing more than a macho moment by the victim. Sure the dead guy was wrong big-time for brandishing his firearm, but IMO, this guy is flat out a murderer and should pay for the deed. In fact, I'd say he should be guilty of premeditated murder seeing as, he went back to his truck, pulled out his firearm and then turned and started shooting. What an idiot!

    He probably decided as he was walking back to his truck exactly what he was going to do.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson


  2. #32
    eb
    eb is offline
    Ex Member Array eb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    385
    Yeah theres no excuse for finishing off someone execution style in this particular scenario. I wasn't there, so I can't say exactly what happened, but generally speaking if someone had drawn down on me and actually let me get back to my vehicle, the thing to do is get the hell out of dodge... even if you have a bazooka in the vehicle. This just sounds like a case of "macho" to me, possibly on both sides. Theres nothing macho about concealed carry, in fact, if you're doing it right, you're acting like a wuss far more so than might be in your nature to do. The last thing you want to do is trigger a scenario like this one, that should have been avoidable.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

  3. #33
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    7,077
    + 1 eb, I totally agree wit ya. I hope this clown doesn't see the light of day as a free man for a long time to come...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

  4. #34
    VIP Member Array TedBeau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bay City
    Posts
    2,302
    What amazes me is according to one of the links "Oates was charged with three counts of assault with intent to kill, discharging a firearm at a dwelling and unlawful carrying of a firearm." This was from another incident when he was trying to reposses a car and got into a fight with owner. If he was charged with intent to kill, why was he still able to carry a gun?

  5. #35
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    What amazes me is according to one of the links "Oates was charged with three counts of assault with intent to kill, discharging a firearm at a dwelling and unlawful carrying of a firearm." This was from another incident when he was trying to reposses a car and got into a fight with owner. If he was charged with intent to kill, why was he still able to carry a gun?
    Being charged with a crime doesn't necessarily mean he was convicted of the crime. That aside, even if Oates was convicted, people carry guns all the time who aren't legally entitled to carry them.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

  6. #36
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    12,035
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    What amazes me is according to one of the links "Oates was charged with three counts of assault with intent to kill, discharging a firearm at a dwelling and unlawful carrying of a firearm." This was from another incident when he was trying to reposses a car and got into a fight with owner. If he was charged with intent to kill, why was he still able to carry a gun?
    Those charges were dismissed. Two witnesses against him could not be found to testify, while the third was subsequently charged with an unrelated robbery.

  7. #37
    New Member Array DBLSTACK1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2
    I agree SD up until he finished him off. Like others said he should have called the police when he went back to his vehicle and got out of dodge. If someone were to lift up their shirt to show me their weapon and I was armed at the time I will draw down on them also. If they go for their gun I will unload until they are not moving. If I'm not armed I would leave pretty quick and call the police.

  8. #38
    Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    charleston, SC
    Posts
    1,921
    You summed it up very well DBL. What possessed this tow guy to do what he did when he had every opportunity to get away from this scene and, even if he was upset with the van guy, get him in trouble for brandishing, we will never really know. Just sounds like a guy who has been a hothead for many years and probably a bigot at that for having some latinos (illegals in his mind) tell him off.

  9. #39
    Member Array Stoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Definitely. If you're threatening me with a weapon and are dumb enough to turn away from me... well, chalk another one up to Darwin.
    I like your point about Darwin.

  10. #40
    Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,952
    The details on this seem to be a bit sketchy, but my read of the situation is that (tow truck driver, Oates) attempted murder and then committed it via execution. It also sounds like there is a bit of difference in the he-said, he-said area and physical evidence will be needed to corroborate the stories. As it looks to me, Van guy committed assault by way of brandishing, but showing a gun stuck in your pants doesn't seem to quite fit the immediate, AOJ of self defense, especially as things appear to have down in this case. It isn't far from it, and placing your hand on the grip could change the situation. For that matter, if the two truck driver had a weapon on him and deployed it at that instance, I think it might be possible to argue sufficient fear of ones life. However, to go back to your vehicle and retrieve a weapon and shoot someone and then utter a racial slur after the incident isn't self defense at all.

  11. #41
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    7,077
    Quote Originally Posted by DBLSTACK1911 View Post
    I agree SD up until he finished him off. Like others said he should have called the police when he went back to his vehicle and got out of dodge. If someone were to lift up their shirt to show me their weapon and I was armed at the time I will draw down on them also. If they go for their gun I will unload until they are not moving. If I'm not armed I would leave pretty quick and call the police.
    Really.... IMO the correct response would be to call law enforcement and let them handle it... Yours, or his perception of the guys intent, doesn't directly imply his intent... I'm in no way saying that it's okay to do as this guy did, but if he didn't draw his weapon and only showed it to the driver byway of lifting his shirt, wrong as it may be; the Tow driver IMO took it to the next level and pretty much executed the guy for doing so. IMO, by the simple fact that the tow driver was able to go back to his truck, open the door and pick up a weapon, means he had a chance to leave the scene and allow law enforcement to do their job without killing anyone.. Bad call on the victim, and worse call made by the tow truck driver and I for one hope his smug ax pays for it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

  12. #42
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Originally Posted by DBLSTACK1911
    I agree SD up until he finished him off. Like others said he should have called the police when he went back to his vehicle and got out of dodge. If someone were to lift up their shirt to show me their weapon and I was armed at the time I will draw down on them also. If they go for their gun I will unload until they are not moving. If I'm not armed I would leave pretty quick and call the police.
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Really.... IMO the correct response would be to call law enforcement and let them handle it... Yours, or his perception of the guys intent, doesn't directly imply his intent... I'm in no way saying that it's okay to do as this guy did, but if he didn't draw his weapon and only showed it to the driver byway of lifting his shirt, wrong as it may be; the Tow driver IMO took it to the next level and pretty much executed the guy for doing so. IMO, by the simple fact that the tow driver was able to go back to his truck, open the door and pick up a weapon, means he had a chance to leave the scene and allow law enforcement to do their job without killing anyone.. Bad call on the victim, and worse call made by the tow truck driver and I for one hope his smug ax pays for it.
    If dblstack1911 is in fear for his life I would agree with him in drawing his weapon. If a person who is in a disagreement with me shows me a weapon I can only assume he means to use it on me. I will protect myself and then call 911.

    Michael

  13. #43
    Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,952
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    If dblstack1911 is in fear for his life I would agree with him in drawing his weapon. If a person who is in a disagreement with me shows me a weapon I can only assume he means to use it on me. I will protect myself and then call 911.
    Michael
    I think this is a premise on which most, if not all here, would agree: if one is in fear for their life, then it is grounds for use of their weapon. In this situation, it doesn't look like this case can be made. Remember, the threat has to be immediate. Going back to your vehicle to retrieve a weapon is not immediate enough.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

  14. #44
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    7,077
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    If dblstack1911 is in fear for his life I would agree with him in drawing his weapon. If a person who is in a disagreement with me shows me a weapon I can only assume he means to use it on me. I will protect myself and then call 911.

    Michael
    So if he shows you his fist, what then.... ?

    You just assume he means to beat the snot outa ya and you grab a ball bat and commence to beating him to death... Good luck with that in the court system.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

  15. #45
    Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    charleston, SC
    Posts
    1,921
    Hey y'all: Two things to remember. Van guy's gun ended up in the street When did that happen? Probably after tow guy started shooting, but who knows? Van guy's family does not appear to be very creditable so do you believe their story? Tow guy can claim instant fear, with van guy telling him he is going to kill him so he threw down the boot keys so he could get back to truck to defend himself. Probable no, possible yes. No one else there other than witnesses with baggage. Remember you have to prove guilt and up to last shot it is IMO a tough call without real solid evidence even though your senses tell you that the tow guy is guilty UP TO THE LAST SHOT, which seals his fate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can a tow truck driver carry a gun

,
can a tow truck driver carry a gun in south carolina
,
can a tow truck driver carry a gun in texas
,
can a truck driver carry a gun
,
can a trucker carry a gun
,
can truck drivers carry guns
,
carrying a gun in tow truck
,
craigslist dothan al
,
killed by truck driver on christmas
,
results at tow truck driver shooting in bluffton south carolina
,
truck driver killed his self
,
truck driver killed in south carolina
Click on a term to search for related topics.