SC tow truck driver claims self-defense in Christmas Killing

This is a discussion on SC tow truck driver claims self-defense in Christmas Killing within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gottabkiddin So if he shows you his fist, what then.... ? You just assume he means to beat the snot outa ya ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 54 of 54
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: SC tow truck driver claims self-defense in Christmas Killing

  1. #46
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    9,106
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    So if he shows you his fist, what then.... ?

    You just assume he means to beat the snot outa ya and you grab a ball bat and commence to beating him to death... Good luck with that in the court system.
    As wrong as I believe tow-guy's actions to be, we aren't talking about doubled-up fists, ball bats, or plain old-fashioned butt-whoopin's. Show someone your gun threateningly, reasonably expect to see theirs.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #47
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    6,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    As wrong as I believe tow-guy's actions to be, we aren't talking about doubled-up fists, ball bats, or plain old-fashioned butt-whoopin's. Show someone your gun threateningly, reasonably expect to see theirs.



    Really..... Dang Mike. The statement was made as to make a point, not as it's directly related to the incident within this thread. Here comes the same point I tried to make earlier... You can't legally kill someone for showing you his, or her holstered weapon. Even law enforcement will alert to a weapon and then move to either disarm the individual, or verbally tell the person what they need to do. I'm not on the side of the Van/victim here, but I'm darn sure not on the trigger happy idiots either. This isn't the "OK coral". Someone should have tried to deescalate the situation, and IMO that should have been the tow driver. It's my contention that if he made it to his truck unscathed then he should have left the scene until the Police were called and arrived to secure the scene and make heads or tells outa it. Instead, from what I've gathered in this thread and from the report I read on the internet. This idiot murdered the guy for showing him he had a firearm, plane and simple. "threateningly" Just how do we know how it was displayed... I sure don't, and I don't recall reading where that was stated either... On top of that, how do we know that whom ever wrote the story was correct in their assertion that it was made in a threatening manner.

    If it's your contention that because the Van driver showed the Tow driver that he had a gun, and IYO he was justified by killing him, then you and whoever else should just say that... around and taking post outa context is not proper IMO.

    With that, I'm done with this one, but I hope like hell folks don't go with the "I saw that he had a gun so I drew mine and shot him, cause I was scared he was gonna draw his and shoot me" defense... terroristic threats and actions are just that, and are usually based on actions made by an individual, not by the perception of someones feelings that they thought he was gonna do it. Folks that feel that way and are ever involved in a shooting may be going away for a while.

    Oh' and if you show him your gun, you've just committed a crime too. Just sayin. I'd rethink that one if it was me...

    For the record. If I show someone my gun it's because I had no other choice, and the next thing that they see and hear will be, Flash Bang!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

  4. #48
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    9,106
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post



    Really..... Dang Mike. The statement was made as to make a point, not as it's directly related to the incident within this thread. Here comes the same point I tried to make earlier... You can't legally kill someone for showing you his, or her holstered weapon. Even law enforcement will alert to a weapon and then move to either disarm the individual, or verbally tell the person what they need to do. I'm not on the side of the Van/victim here, but I'm darn sure not on the trigger happy idiots either. This isn't the "OK coral". Someone should have tried to deescalate the situation, and IMO that should have been the tow driver. It's my contention that if he made it to his truck unscathed then he should have left the scene until the Police were called and arrived to secure the scene and make heads or tells outa it. Instead, from what I've gathered in this thread and from the report I read on the internet. This idiot murdered the guy for showing him he had a firearm, plane and simple. "threateningly" Just how do we know how it was displayed... I sure don't, and I don't recall reading where that was stated either... On top of that, how do we know that whom ever wrote the story was correct in their assertion that it was made in a threatening manner.

    If it's your contention that because the Van driver showed the Tow driver that he had a gun, and IYO he was justified by killing him, then you and whoever else should just say that... around and taking post outa context is not proper IMO.

    With that, I'm done with this one, but I hope like hell folks don't go with the "I saw that he had a gun so I drew mine and shot him, cause I was scared he was gonna draw his and shoot me" defense... terroristic threats and actions are just that, and are usually based on actions made by an individual, not by the perception of someones feelings that they thought he was gonna do it. Folks that feel that way and are ever involved in a shooting may be going away for a while.

    Oh' and if you show him your gun, you've just committed a crime too. Just sayin. I'd rethink that one if it was me...

    For the record. If I show someone my gun it's because I had no other choice, and the next thing that they see and hear will be, Flash Bang!
    I make no contention, other than that it is unwise to display a firearm on the street in an attempt to intimidate someone, or for any other reason short of the scenario described in your last sentence.

  5. #49
    Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    charleston, SC
    Posts
    1,805
    Lets face it Mike and gotta: The situation, once a firearm is shown is very dangerous and very dynamic. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the scene, each of you could be right and could be wrong. I do not think either of you is really going to just blast away the minute you see a gun butt in a belt. Likewise, I do think that both of you will easily presume imminent danger of death or great bodily injury if that same gun is in the hand of an out of control temper road rager or a slimebucket who is looking for your wallet. Lets just hope all we do is write and disagree--that is what the forum is for--with civility also. When opinions differ, it gives other members, including myself, an opportunity to learn little things that make me a better CCer.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

  6. #50
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    9,106
    Again, I in no way condone anything the tow-truck driver did, right from the time he booted the vehicle as part of a probable shake-down. What part of "do not display your firearm and then turn away" are people having a hard time digesting?

  7. #51
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    6,864
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Lets face it Mike and gotta: The situation, once a firearm is shown is very dangerous and very dynamic. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the scene, each of you could be right and could be wrong. I do not think either of you is really going to just blast away the minute you see a gun butt in a belt. Likewise, I do think that both of you will easily presume imminent danger of death or great bodily injury if that same gun is in the hand of an out of control temper road rager or a slimebucket who is looking for your wallet. Lets just hope all we do is write and disagree--that is what the forum is for--with civility also. When opinions differ, it gives other members, including myself, an opportunity to learn little things that make me a better CCer.
    +1, I agree with what you have stated completely....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

  8. #52
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    6,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Again, I in no way condone anything the tow-truck driver did, right from the time he booted the vehicle as part of a probable shake-down. What part of "do not display your firearm and then turn away" are people having a hard time digesting?
    Mike, it's all good... I meant no disrespect towards you directly with my post... Just a differing opinion my friend that's all.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

  9. #53
    Member Array All_Business's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    212
    From what I read the tow guy was in his rights up until his shot him in the head. I dont think that was necessary, at all, latino guy wasn't a threat anymore. If he really did turn to the wife and say feliz navidad, he's an ass and deserves to be put in jail for that reason alone. And for shame!...naming your daughter "Gizzel"... lock that genius up too.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

  10. #54
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    9,106
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Mike, it's all good... I meant no disrespect towards you directly with my post... Just a differing opinion my friend that's all.
    Of course it is all good, and no diss taken. I don't see where our opinions differ.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can a tow truck driver carry a gun

,
can a tow truck driver carry a gun in south carolina
,
can a tow truck driver carry a gun in texas
,
can a truck driver carry a gun
,
can a trucker carry a gun
,
can truck drivers carry guns
,
carrying a gun in tow truck
,
killed by truck driver on christmas
,
results at tow truck driver shooting in bluffton south carolina
,
tow truck drivers shooting in south carolina
,
truck driver killed his self
,
truck driver killed in south carolina
Click on a term to search for related topics.