Horesplaying LEO

Horesplaying LEO

This is a discussion on Horesplaying LEO within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted this in another forum the other day, but I feel it is relevant here as well... This past Monday I'm driving down the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Horesplaying LEO

Horesplaying LEO

I posted this in another forum the other day, but I feel it is relevant here as well...

This past Monday I'm driving down the highway alone while I'm out doing some field work for my job. I see blue-lights up the road ahead of me, and a police officer has pulled a car over into the parking lot of some kinda auto repair shop. Nothing unusual... However, as the officer steps out of the car and begins to approach the driver... The driver who is a big ol' dude, jumps out and runs in on the officer, then picks him up in a bear hug. The officers feet are now off the ground, he grimacing while he pushes down on the much larger attackers shoulders, and this big Sasquatch of a man is flinging him around like a rag doll as I drive by. I couldn't believe it!

I slammed on brakes of the little Ford Ranger and pulled a squealing U-turn in the middle of the highway. I wasn't sure what I was gonna do, but I was going to the officer's aide. I had a cell phone, OC spray, knife, and my S&W Bodyguard .380 w/a spare mag. At the very least I would call 911 to send additional officers.

However, I pulled back up to the scene to see the two of them are now all smiles, laughing, and patting each other on the back like a couple of old school buddies. I was thoroughly confused at the moment, and in the midst of a full blown adrenaline dump. I stopped on the shoulder of the road just a few feet in front of them, while I just stared for a moment as my eyes convinced my brain that the threat wasn't real. Then I just drove away more than a little perturbed with the situation. I was in a official state vehicle that has a large state emblem on the side of the door, so I think the officer may have been a little embarrassed with himself. He pretended like I didn't just swing an loud illegal U-turn and speed up to within 15ft of his still flashing patrol car and stare at him.

I "say" to myself had the attack been real I would have... approached, asked the officer he he would like assistance, if he said yes, I would have provided assistance using whatever level of force the situation dictated. But, we've all heard of the "fog of war"... People do dumb things when they're scared and fighting for their life. Legally, those situations can end very badly. Your decision to disable an attacker by severing his quadricep sounds "so much" worse when the prosecutor explains it to the judge. However, I personally could not refuse assistance to one of the only people standing between society and chaos. The situation certainly gave me a renewed commitment to a good situational assessment before jumping to action, but I don't want to let assessment become hesitation. Hesitation gets you DEAD!

BTW... I don't appreciate LEO's jackin' around in uniform on the side of a busy highway, bout givin' be a freakin' HEART ATTACK!!!

BAD COP... NO DOUGHNUT!!!
    Tzadik and fragmatic like this.

Administrator
    So who was messing around? Just another example why one must be absolutely sure of a situation before interjecting themselves into a situation.
    Trekbike likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Kudos for wanting to assist, in an age when most wont.

To echo's Sixtos statement, not all things are as they first seem.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    There is no indication the LEO was horse playing. It is very possible he pulled over an individual just to find it was a long lost friend. After an inappropriate greeting the LEO got him to act like a normal person.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Dont take this the wrong way, But LEOs are people to. They have friends, they have emotions. I personally see nothing wrong with what he did. Your actions were admirable. Coming to the aide of an officer. I commend you on that. I would just say, that he is not a BAD cop, just a human with a uniform on.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I think the officer may pulled over his buddy (intentionally/accidentally?) and when the driver recognized the cop was his buddy he decided to have a little "fun".

Honestly, the officer probably didn't have much say in the guy's decision to go running back and wrestle with him on a busy street. I'm sure the officer would not want the Chief of Police finding out about that. There were other rubber-neckers, but I was the only only who turned around. I honestly thought that I was about to have to help a policeman fight off Goliath... was looking forward to those lumps!

So, yeah I was a little peeved that my heart rate got jacked up to around 170 bpm for diddly squat!

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I slammed on brakes of the little Ford Ranger and pulled a squealing U-turn in the middle of the highway. I wasn't sure what I was gonna do, but I was going to the officer's aide. I had a cell phone, OC spray, knife, and my S&W Bodyguard .380 w/a spare mag. At the very least I would call 911 to send additional officers.

What kind of position do you have that you are allowed to carry a .380? Does not sound like a department issue firearm, surprised as a state employee you would be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post

What kind of position do you have that you are allowed to carry a .380? Does not sound like a department issue firearm, surprised as a state employee you would be allowed.
    I am not law enforcement, but I am allowed to carry by executive order due to the nature of my duties. That's all I will say.

Quote Originally Posted by BioGLoCK23 View Post
    I am not law enforcement, but I am allowed to carry by executive order due to the nature of my duties. That's all I will say.
    parole agent?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I know what you mean about the horseplay thing. I have several friends that are cops and one night I was headed home on a back road when out of total darkness the lights and siren high beams search light all come on what seemed like inches from my back bumper. I took a minute to collect my thoughts and check my pants and pulled over. The voice over the PA orders my hands out the window, full felony stop. As I am beginning to think that this night is going to end very badly and I have no idea why. The voice starts to laugh and says "you actually follow instructions pretty well I don't know what your wife is talking about." This was all a joke by a friend of 15 years who is also the chief of police in a nearby town. He saw me pass him as he was headed home and killed his lights and snuck up on me completely dark "for effect". The comment about following directions came from a recent dinner when our wives were complaining about our attention to detail in housework. He found the whole thing very funny, I punched him hard enough in the shoulder that he still had a bruise when we were out on my boat a week later. (plus now he owes me 2 speeding tickets and brought a really nice bottle of single malt to poker night) Looking back it was pretty funny and had it happened to one of our other friends it would have been hilarious. (He brought the dash cam video to poker night to share)

Yeah, Doubledown... LEO's are just regular people at the end of the day. I don't truly fault the officer for the situation. He didn't even initiate it, and the whole event probably didn't even last more than a few seconds. I just happened to have the misfortune of passing by at the exact instant in which the encounter appeared to be an attack.

I know what you mean about the pranks too. I'm not a LEO, but my work has me planted smack in the middle of an entire branch of state police. Sometimes it's like being back in high school! The chief will walk by his secretary's desk and fart into the the backside of a little fan on her desk for maximum dispersal... and he's in his 50's!!!

Now, that's how you "crop dust"!

Quote Originally Posted by BioGLoCK23 View Post

BAD COP... NO DOUGHNUT!!!
    Real cops eat muffins.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Almost an excerpt from Sooper Troopers.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    The encounter the OP saw can develop like that. I probably would have turned to check on the LEO myself. The very most important point is knowing when/if to get involved.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

10 hours stuck in a Patrol Car, he most likly needed some light time out.

Many years ago, a buddy of mine was in the Hold Up squad in Toronto. He saw me in his rear view mirror, on Dundas St, a busy down town Street, stops in front of me, in a drug dealers Ford Mustang, bright RED!

Jumps out, and starts walking towards me, I am out of the car, he with his fingers curled, like a gunfighter, nutcase!

The passenger in my car was appalled! Especially as we two were shaking hands and slapping shoulders! In the middle of the Street. The young lady in my car did not last long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links