incident while camping yesterday... - Page 2

incident while camping yesterday...

This is a discussion on incident while camping yesterday... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OP - Did you yell out to whoever threw the rock? Someone close enough to hit you with a rock is close enough to hear ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: incident while camping yesterday...

OP- Did you yell out to whoever threw the rock? Someone close enough to hit you with a rock is close enough to hear a stiff verbal warning.

Bioglock23,
    After the rock flew between us. My son and I were kinda shocked, like did that just happen. I stated loudly "Nice...expletive!" Looked/Listened for response, none. No movement heard either.

Two WMs + alcohol, looking for something to steal.
    Getting a plate number could have been very useful, but other than that, not much to report about.
    It's good that nothing really happened.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

retsupt99,
    Yep, learned from past experience not to escalate. Best to swallow your pride sometimes...Took 40+ yrs! Had it been earlier in life I'd probably tried to wave 'em down and argue. Just is'nt worth it when ya got a family to look after...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Bigfoot is known to throw rocks. Just sayin'.

As far as crop seasons, meth cooks year round.
    DefConGun likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Bigfoot is known to throw rocks. Just sayin'.

As far as crop seasons, meth cooks year round.
    This was my intial thought as well.

If they just came from my camp site, I think I would move and find a different camp site...they know what you have, they know how many there are...and now they believe you are armed.

IMO, nothing says you have to cave in to thuggery or thieves, but if you've not able to post a watch (or lay claymores), there is nothing wrong with finding a differnt camp site.
    Bark'n and DUNDEM like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Siguy229,
    Your right, guess I'm hard headed. I refuse to be bullied, but darn glad it went no further. We normally camp in boat access only primitive sites and have never had a problem. This area is close to a more populated area, encounters more likely. Lesson learned...

Glad it worked out well for you both and you're safe & sound. Camping is a wonderful experience with your family, however, in this day and age it can be hazardous. I saw a program awhile back that reported there is more illegal marijuana and meth production on government land than private. If I were to speculate, you disrupted some sort of operation they tend, be it drugs, poaching or a dumping ground. Count your blessings you were not one of the ever increasing unsolved "hunting accidents". It's a sad state you're not safe anywhere anymore. At least you had an effective means to defend yourself. I like you would have had to many emotions to calmly think of taking a picture. Take care.

Administrator
    They may have been hoping that both of you would leave your camp site together to investigate who threw the rock and then one of them could come in from the rear and do a quick grab of some of your gear/stuff.
    And then "good luck" tracking them through the woods while they high-tailed it out of there.

I think they were trying to create a diversion in order to do some thievery. Kinda like a "woodlands smash & grab" but, you foiled their plans and that pissed them off.

Good job.

I always camp out alone. Probably not the best idea these days but, for me it's worth the risk I guess.

Alone with nature,,,sort of a quirky thing with me. It helps me to get back to basics and I'm extremely comfortable being alone with myself.

True solitude is a rare treat these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Siguy229,
    Your right, guess I'm hard headed. I refuse to be bullied, but darn glad it went no further. We normally camp in boat access only primitive sites and have never had a problem. This area is close to a more populated area, encounters more likely. Lesson learned...
    I wouldn't let pride get in the way of minimizing risk to loved ones...the only reason it didn't go further was due to the benevolence or cowardice of the BGs; either they thought they would be outgunned, or they didn't want LEO involvement in the area...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I think on future trips I'll incorporate use of a game camera. I saw the Dakota alert system, but expensive and no photo capability. Would've been invaluable in explaining this thing and having something to give police...

QKshooter,
    That might explain it, I had just returned with car load of stuff. One reason I left my son in camp. No valuables, but stuff that could've been pawned or used by someone living out there. IE;food/gear

Seeing as that was an assualt of the deadly force kind, I would think a few sound shots would be in order. I guess I will get flamed for that.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Seeing as that was an assualt of the deadly force kind, I would think a few sound shots would be in order. I guess I will get flamed for that.
    Semper Fi
    I suppose one can see where throwing a rock can be considered "deadly force." It has seemed to work for the Border Patrol on a few occasions allowing some of their shootings to be ruled justifiable.

However, when you insinuate the OP should have returned fire at them, just who specifically are you shooting at? The OP never saw exactly who threw the rocks and while pursuing them through the woods, he never made contact with them. When he reached the point where he saw two people leaving the area in a truck... There is no way he could have possibly identify them as the ones who threw the rock. And if it were one of them, which one? And are they still an immediate life threat at that point as they flee inside a vehicle?

Are you going to shoot the first two people you see leaving the area in a truck because you assume they may have been the ones who threw a rock?

No matter how frustrated you are at someone chucking huge rocks/boulders at you in the woods, I think we all know that answers to the questions I have posed. There literally wasn't anyone the OP could identify as the person who threw the rock and no justifiable target to engage. Remember, the threat has to be immediate and unavoidable at the time you engage.

You can't just fire randomly into the woods either. In this case, there were other campers in the area. A group of former Marines who I can assure you, would not take too kindly to randomly fired incoming rounds into their AO.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

1911 never left its holster. I was a small arms instructor for most of my 21 yrs on active duty. Familiar with deadly force requirements. If they'd been met that would've been different. I should not have assumed, but my first thought was it was some dumb kids being stupid. Visibility thru foilage was maybe 10 yds max. Had the men I saw later decided to advance on us at that moment. I'd have drawn down on them, given verbal commands. If non compliant it would've gone high order. We stopped, looked, listened and got zip. I picked up their tracks and movement going down trail behind the camp. Followed out on road just below it. We exited same time about 75 yds apart. They passed me without stopping. Thats when I saw one was mid 30's male. Driver unknown male. Again, Had they ran up on us after that rock missed my grape by arms length. It would've been totally different. Had one of us been hit, I'd have at a minimum filed assault charges. But I had no plate #. (lesson learned)My focus at that moment was "If they stop what actions am I going to take", what will I say, ect. I was already bladed off, coat open for easy access to ccw. I was ready for worst, darn glad nothing happened. So, no I do not believe it went as far as assault. I know they were probably intending on theft at my camp. Nothing was taken, cuz there was'nt anything till I returned. Been looking in news for any other incidents up there. Nothing. I am glad PA passed the Castle Doctrine. Same deadly force requirements, but the legal support for the citizen is improved imo.

Barkn,
    The Marines were about 1/4 mile down the road. We were off the beaten path. But your dead on. I know it was those guys I saw exit woods. Legally it would have been in question, either way the immediate threat was over. They presented none thereafter. Had a person engaged them initially or then, it'd have been murder not self defense no question.
    Last edited by 1911srule; October 17th, 2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: grammer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links