incident while camping yesterday...

This is a discussion on incident while camping yesterday... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally got some vacation time and took my son "primitive" tent camping for four days in Allegheny National Forest. We found a decent site off ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: incident while camping yesterday...

incident while camping yesterday...

Finally got some vacation time and took my son "primitive" tent camping for four days in Allegheny National Forest. We found a decent site off the beaten path near where we've hunted in the past.Bad weather did'nt ruin our trip much, glad for the time. But yesterday we left camp for a couple hours to make a food run. On our return we turned onto the short rd to our camp, noticed a small pick up truck parked at a trail that led behind our site. Figured it was someone archery hunting. Wrong! I was relieved to be off of work and relaxed out in the woods. We entered our camp, walked around talking. Stopped and was talking with my 15 yr old when a fist sized rock flew past my head between us! I did a what the hell, obvious only a human could launch that. Looked hard in direction it came from. Leaves had turned and I could'nt see any sign of anyone. I told my son to stay in camp, gave him my back up pistol. Walked a 360 degree circle around that point. Tracks in mud (it had been raining constantly, so they were fresh)went down trail towards that truck. I went back to my son told him hold tight I walked fast back out road I had come in on to see if I could get a look at who this was. As I got to the road, two WM mid 30's exited that trail, got in their truck and hauled ass my way. They had'nt seen me I guess. Was wearing a desert gortex parka and kaki pants that blended in well . They slowed as they saw me and passenger glared at me like he was mad as hell. I was so busy giving it back to him and getting physical description. I only got fair description of truck, no plate #. They hesitated as if they debated stopping. But left. I thought maybe because I hadnt been wearing my parka at camp and probably saw sidearm then. I concluded since they were not in hunting clothes and where they parked. They were probably in camp to see what they could rip off. Otherwise anyone else would simply have driven down there. I did not notify police, but did stop and let some other campers know to keep an eye out. They had seen the vehicle and noted they acted suspiciously. Four former Marines who were likewise armed. Did'nt want a run around from police so we just stayed alert last night in case they returned. Let my guard down, bothers me I let two men approach undetected like that. Had to be less than 25 meters best guess from us when one of the two threw that rock.Nothing stolen, but I had loaded anything of value in car so as not to leave anything I could'nt stand losing.Good thing..
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 15th, 2011 at 10:54 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    Do you think they were just looking to steal stuff? If so, the rock attack is pretty hard to figure. It could have been quite serious. I am glad you guys are okay. Wow.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

chiefs special guy,
    I'm sure they were thieving. Anyone else would've driven down and parked. The rock thrown at us I can't explain. It was'nt "tossed" but with force. Had no contact with anyone, except one nice 'ole guy we talked with day before. They were likely locals, that trail is easy to just drive by. Stopping there was purposeful imo. If they had driven down to rip off our camp and we returned theyd have been bottlenecked in there and forced to pass us on way out. These were a hardened looking pair. Marines I talked too, said they looked as though they were seeing what was in their camp. They had a generator , ect. Nice hooch set up. Good people.Glad we avoided a confrontation. Glad I was armed. They scared the heck outta my son, neither one of us slept last night. Did'nt help we had high wind and driving rain.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'm glad that you guys or no one else camping got hurt. That was creepy. I think I would've called the cops just so there would've been a watch out for them. It could possibly help someone down the road from getting hurt. Even if they were there to steal something, I can't reason why they would throw a rock and draw even more attention to themselves. People are crazy, you never know what they are thinking or have in mind.

I know it sounds crazy but in the future if there is a vehicle you need to get a good description of, try taking a picture with your cellphone if you have one on your person. A picture is worth a thousand words, especially if that picture includes their license number. ;-)

Defcongun,
    Cell phone would've been good response. My stress was up did'nt really think. When they reached their truck, as soon as it turned over they took off in hurry. I stood at end of rd, kinda stupid given what they just did. Could've tried to run me over. Was'nt thinking, anger clouded judgement I guess.

That is really weird. The only thing I can think of is that they were intent on stealing something and your return chased them off. The rock was a fit of temper before fleeing.
    Hopyard, Bark'n, OD* and 1 others like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

.glad you where with him 1911, and you are both safe...

I agree with Guantes. In this case, I'm sure the rock throwing incident was just frustration on their part.

People like that have very poor impulse control. Which can also make people like that dangerous too. Get someone pissed off because you foiled their plans, everyone is in a remote location, and the next thing you know a killing ensues.

I like camping. But I never go camping unarmed. And I rarely go camping in groups too small to post all night security watches.

I just don't feel comfortable anymore sleeping in a tent in a totally remote area with no one watching my back. We usually have enough people in the group to post a sentry in 2 hour shifts. If my group doesn't like that kind of arrangement, I won't go.

Paranoid? Maybe, but campers have been murdered in their sleep. It's not prevalent but it does happen from time to time.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Defcongun,
    Cell phone would've been good response. My stress was up did'nt really think. When they reached their truck, as soon as it turned over they took off in hurry. I stood at end of rd, kinda stupid given what they just did. Could've tried to run me over. Was'nt thinking, anger clouded judgement I guess.
    I completely understand. Everyone gets flustered and to be honest I'm not sure if I would've thought of that at the moment. That is why its good to think scenarios through when you have your wits about you. If or when something does happen, you may remember a plan of action you've come up with before, when you weren't nervous. Now if you have something like this happen again, you may remember to take a picture. One thing to consider about taking a picture is that sometimes it provokes anger and could instigate an attack if they see you doing it. Use discretion...mentally remembering a description and tag numbers like you did might have been the best course of action...depending on the situation.

I'm guessing you were camping a little to close to their "crop" and the rock was an attempt to scare you off.
    Inspector71 and ncsteveh like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I'm guessing you were camping a little to close to their "crop" and the rock was an attempt to scare you off.
    Probably not this time of year, especially in PA.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hummm, interesting. I've ran into strange people at time camping in really remote places. My dog, is by my side in the tent and lets me know if anything is around to have any concern about. Then she sleeps during the day. So , she is the night watch. She has growled at times ..... and looked into the dark, that gave me a big alert and a bit of the willies, because she was quite serious about whatever was there, and I never could ID anything. I trust her sense way over mine.

Always armed with a .357, a 30-30 rifle near, a Nitecore and a blade by me. No one would want to 'startle' me.

Sounds like thieves, and the local police/sheriff probably would have known who they were by the truck and personal description. Good thing you were prepared, armed, and saw it. Your meeting them on the road, gave them a message. I'm betting they did see you armed at the camp, and that's one reason they didn't stop.
    Bark'n likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Is it possible the rock was a poor attempt to take you out so they could complete the theft?
    Spade115 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'd definitely let whatever local agency know about the truck and occupant descriptions.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I agree the rock thing may have been frustration or someone just gauging any response on my part. Don't know. Did'nt want to escalate anything just wanted to satisfy my curiosity. At first I figured it had to be kids being stupid. It took 10-15 minutes to look around. When I returned to where my son was I announced I was going out to the road to check that vehicle. I suspect maybe they heard this. We exited at same time. So for 10-15 minutes what were they doing? Watching us? Don't know. Looking back, I should not have left my son alone. Just figured I did'nt want him there if I ran into them back on the road. Strange. I'd expect something like this at my home due to past legal trouble with neighbors. But I was surprised by this out where we were. Stuff happens I guess. This forum is a good place to troubleshoot things like this. Thanx for replies btw...
    note- I refrained from calling police cuz almost everytime I had to in the past it just caused more problems than good. If more had happened I'd have probably called them. The Forest service has a LE patrol that covers that area. I guess I should call them.
    Last edited by 1911srule; October 15th, 2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: note added

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links