Savage Attack: Clerk Beats Customers with Steel Rod

This is a discussion on Savage Attack: Clerk Beats Customers with Steel Rod within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This savage attack occurred at a Manhattan McDonalds on 10/13/11. An argument over customers attempting to pay with a suspicious $50 bill resulted in them ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Savage Attack: Clerk Beats Customers with Steel Rod

This savage attack occurred at a Manhattan McDonalds on 10/13/11.

An argument over customers attempting to pay with a suspicious $50 bill resulted in them slapping the clerk. The clerk went to a back room and returned with a steel rod and began to savagely beat two women. The savageness of the attack in the video makes it quite apparent he was intentionally trying to beat them to death.

As a customer, if you were there would you get involved?

While the clerk had a right to defend himself from being struck in the face by a customer... He retreated to another area of the kitchen to retrieve the steel rod, and then returned to engage. That is no longer self defense and is now in the realm of aggravated assault, assault with a deadly weapon, and/or attempted murder.

(No one would have any way of knowing this at the time, but the clerk had just got out of prison after serving 10 years for shooting and killing a high school classmate in 2000.) Looking at the savageness of the beating, no doubt he has some anger issues from prison.

SHOCK VIDEO: Savage Attack At Manhattan McDonald’s

Your thoughts?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Don't mess around with Rayon.
    DUNDEM likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

They were drunk, assaulted the clerk and went over and around the counter, no doubt to further the assault and got outdone.

I'm out of there.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Lock'em all up. Bunch of animals.

I would just back up an watch for my own amusement. My gun would stay holstered while they killed each other
    Doodle, Spade115 and ErnieNWillis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    They were drunk, assaulted the clerk and went over and around the counter, no doubt to further the assault and got outdone.

I'm out of there.
    Good response. I too would have likely been long gone before the steel rod came out and the real beating began.

Note to self: resist the urge to stay and watch the festivities. Get outta Dodge while the gettin' is good!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    They assaulted him, jumped the counter,they get minor charges,he is probably put away in prison. The most I would do is call 911. He may have gone too far, but these females,I would call neither one a lady,started this. There are many women in the world that believe they can get away with assaulting a male because of their gender. Perhaps he should go back to prison. In my opinion the females should each receive a couple of years. The ex-con was working, calls them on what may have been a phony bill,he goes too far when they assault him,screwed up situation. How about the news reporters, a 'violent and disturbing video', drama queen reporters.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Legally, he was in the right until he went too far. He should have stopped after there was no longer a threat; after he had incapacitated the women.

These women should have left him alone and in a lot of respects, they brought this upon themselves. Due to his mismanagement of anger, he is most likely going to go back to jail given his prior history.

People are crazy and its best not to instigate/antagonize them, especially if you do not know who they are; you might just bite off more than you can chew. The women should have dropped it and even if they were ticked off over him questioning the integrity of their money, there were better ways of handling this and there was no call for violence. If they had played it smart, they could've complained to the manager and got a free meal out of it. Now as it stands, they have injuries (concussions...I believe) and charges against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    While the clerk had a right to defend himself from being struck in the face by a customer... He retreated to another area of the kitchen to retrieve the steel rod, and then returned to engage.
    I respectfully disagree with this point. The guy was retreating to get a rod but at the same time, he was being pursued. I do agree he probably shouldn't have come back with the rod but instead, he should had stood his ground after he retrieved the rod. I don't know about this state but in KY, you have a right to not retreat if you are in a place where you have a right to be, etc. Given that he was at work, he had every right to be there.

I got so wrapped up in assessing the situation, I forgot to add what I would do...lol.

I'm not sure. I'd probably call 911 and leave. If I did stick around to see the event to its conclusion, I might...might mind you, have drawn and commanded him to stop. In KY, you have a right to protect a third party but I'd rather not go there if I didn't have to, etc. I think the wisest thing to do is leave and call 911 on your way out of the door.

Bad situation that I'm glad I wasn't in.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    This reporter, Chris Wragge ,makes me want to puke. Harry Smith was a great news reporter,and an actual man,replaced by 'Chris'. Sorry,I had to rant. The American male has been feminized and I hate it.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I respectfully disagree with this point. The guy was retreating to get a rod but at the same time, he was being pursued. I do agree he probably shouldn't have come back with the rod but instead, he should had stood his ground after he retrieved the rod. I don't know about this state but in KY, you have a right to not retreat if you are in a place where you have a right to be, etc. Given that he was at work, he had every right to be there.
    Well, I'm glad you disagree he probably shouldn't have used the steel rod. Because what he did was responded to an unarmed woman slapping him in the face by escalating it where he tried to beat her to death with a deadly weapon.

We get a lot of essentially the same kind of scenarios posted here where people want to know if it's okay to pull their gun out and shoot someone who wants to fight but doesn't have a visible weapon. Well... ask this guy Rayon how it's working out for him.

No different for all those members here who say, "If some guy hits me, I have to assume he'll kill me, therefore, I'll shoot him."
    Guantes likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Well, I'm glad you disagree he probably shouldn't have used the steel rod. Because what he did was responded to an unarmed woman slapping him in the face by escalating it where he tried to beat her to death with a deadly weapon.

We get a lot of essentially the same kind of scenarios posted here where people want to know if it's okay to pull their gun out and shoot someone who wants to fight but doesn't have a visible weapon. Well... ask this guy Rayon how it's working out for him.

No different for all those members here who say, "If some guy hits me, I have to assume he'll kill me, therefore, I'll shoot him."
    I'm afraid I'm not being clear and I apologize for that. I should have stated it in a more concise way than I did, etc.

I don't necessarily think it was wrong for him to get the rod. I disagree with your assessment that he's simply responding to a woman slapping him in the face. From what I'm hearing you say, it sounds like a woman slapped him in the face. He leaves to get a rod and comes back to beat her. What I'm seeing is that a woman slaps him in the face. He retreats but the woman pursues and follows him. Now I don't know what his intention was when he first left. Maybe he meant to come back with the rod and wear everyone out. If that's the case, then yes, I agree with you...it would be aggravated assault and he would be in the wrong. I'm assuming he's retreating to get away from a belligerent woman who has just assaulted him. When he leaves, she follows him. He grabs a rod to defend himself from one or two women pursuing him. Either way, it looks really bad that the women were following him when he left. At the point when he left, it wasn't known if he was going to assault them or not.

Now, at the same time, I think it looks bad that he came back to assault the women that were pursuing him. I believe if he had retreated, grabbed a rod and then defended himself from where he stood from the two women attacking him, he would've been in the right IMO.

To me it looks bad for all parties that are involved. The women shouldn't have pursued him after assaulting him and he shouldn't have come back with a rod; he should've stood his ground....with rod in hand....giving verbal warnings to not approach him. For all he knows, they have a knife and are going to stab him or pull a gun out of a purse and shoot him. I believe if you stand your ground warning someone to not approach you and they approach you, then they have no one to blame but themselves.

McDonalds counter help. Guilty. $1 fine. and time served.
    the two instagators. 30 days and $1000 each.

keep your hands to your self unless YOU are atacked.
    archer51 likes this.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I see a new expression out of this:

"Don't make me open up a can of Rayon on you..."
    BioGLoCK23, DUNDEM and HKinNY like this.

Angry woman who already hit me, then hops the counter (no mean feat given her size) into "Employe Only" territory, no good can come of this.

Hard to see from the video if he already was going for the attitude adjuster, or happened to grab whatever was handy when the first customer was coming after him, with the second coming around the corner. Only person that knows that is him, and likely we will never know the truth on that one.

Can't even distinguish what was said. The customers may have threatened him with a bit more than slapping.

Should have stopped after they were down. Rage got the better of him, and he should get what he has coming to him for the second volley.

The two that got a beatin', IMO they should get the same level of charges as the clerk, along with a few others (public intoxication, trespassing...)

The lawsuits otta' be interesting.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

IMO, the guy went way overboard, but on the other hand, the two idiots bit off way more than they could chew... I agree as it's been stated.. Just a bunch of animals. Maybe it's in the food...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links