Had a Serious Condition Red this week

This is a discussion on Had a Serious Condition Red this week within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was traveling from Tennessee back to Florida this week. AT approx. 1:00 A.M. I stop for gas, in Dothen ,Alabama. While in the store, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had a Serious Condition Red this week

Exclamation Had a Serious Condition Red this week

I was traveling from Tennessee back to Florida this week.
    AT approx. 1:00 A.M. I stop for gas, in Dothen ,Alabama.
    While in the store, i proceeded to the rear of the store to the
    Coffee machine.
    At this time I noticed a male in his early twentys enter the store.
    Just from the sight of him, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. He was dressed all Thugged Out, but what 1st got my attention was he was wearing (large) sunglasses. He had not noticed me, and I watched him closely.
    As the clerk turn away to get something, the possible BG , placed (draped) a towel on his head. Then he looked quickly out both doors.
    We were the only 3 people in the store, so I reached down and quietly clicked the safety off my CCW (1911). And then placed my hand on the grip. There was an aisle in between me and the counter area so nobody could see my actions.
    The BG happened to look around again and seen me by the coffee.
    He quickly turned toward the counter. I at this point really felt it was going to turn bad. So I quietly changed my location to the next aisle.
    The BG then paid for his item and again glanced toward my last location at the coffee machine, and exited the store.
    I stayed in the gas station few minutes longer , then paid and exited.
    Carefully watching the parking lot. I had not intended to leave just yet, drinking my coffee and stretching my legs. So I moved my truck to a better location in the corner of the lot. I stayed maybe 15 more minutes. During this time several customers came and went , but I did noticed a "pimped" out car with dark windows slowly move through the parking lot and leave without stopping. I left with no further incident.

Now was I over reacting ??
    He could have been a wanna-be "acting" thug like so many today..
    but I didn't get that impression. Also I did mention to the store clerk that he (BG) acted suspcious, the clerk mumbled "yeah" or whatever and show little concern. Looking back I probably should have called local law enforcement and advised them of the behavior. But then I
    am a suspcious, paranoid person anyway so...

What would you have done, in this scenerio?

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Wannabe's can be more dangerous because they have something to prove. I don't think you were over reacting.

I probably (I wish the spell check worked on my computer) wouldn't have flicked off the safty unless I drew, but that's just my plug nickle.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger
    Wannabe's can be more dangerous because they have something to prove. I don't think you were over reacting.

I probably (I wish the spell check worked on my computer) wouldn't have flicked off the safty unless I drew, but that's just my plug nickle.
    Same here; on my DAs, safety comes off on the draw, on the 1911, it comes off as the front sight comes into peripheral vision. The only time I could see clicking it off sooner would be if I were planning to sneak up on someone, which should be really rare for a defensive shoot.

Sure dosn't sound paranoid to me. While you can get some real weirdos at that hour they don't have the nick name "shop and rob" for nothing. Way to many of the cashiers are clueless as well. Ditto on the safety and I would have probably called it in to the local cops.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    You can never be to careful. Sounds as if you were alert, something we all need to practice more. At least I do.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Safety off before the draw ??? NOT for me.

As for weather you did good or not......I feel that in the happenings that you mentioned it would be very hard for me to second guess your actions or for me to say(for sure) what I would have done.

Probably somewhere between, shot him several times, and ran out the back door screaming.

As others have said,you ratcheted up your level of awareness...AND...something about the situation just didn't seem/feel right which made you take more notice of your surroundings, and you started moving to a better defensive position...... hell.....that was a good thing.

BTW ,I have been over to(through)Dothan several times. It's not the safest place to be in. It makes the paper quite often with the gang related stuff.-------

Quote Originally Posted by Leadslinger
    Then he looked quickly out both doors.

Could very well have been the classic witness/victim check. That should set off alarm bells for anyone paying attention.

Sounds like you handled the situation well.
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

VIP Member
    Sounds like you were paying attention to me.

Not sure how much of a response you would have gotten from the local LE by telling them "he acted suspiciously, then left without doing anything", but each jurisdiction is different.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

fm2
    Sounds like you did well. I concur with the others on the safety flik. Awareness is the first step.

Way to go. Good awareness ...saftey off before the draw and gun on target a NO NO.
    ...one jagged hole!

Quote Originally Posted by exit42
    Way to go. Good awareness ...saftey off before the draw and gun on target a NO NO.

I train with safety on , disengage during the draw..

However I train condition 0 also. I feel just as confident

handling the weapon in this manner. If things were to turn bad

quickly, I feel every little bit helps. Plus the fact at that point, I

definately had the proper mindset to act , quickly and decisively if

the need had arised.

We all know that many autoloaders today come with virtually no

safety and alot have lite trigger pulls. When I shoot condition 0 , I

have a second built in safety, (my trigger finger). But I thank you all

your imput and concerns on the matter. Thankfully neither "safety"

came into play.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Lead Moderator
    I would not have taken the safety off either, just for the fact if someone is watching cameras or thru a 1 way mirror they might spot your gun and called 911. Also what if as you draw, the BG runs off. No AD's needed.
    Good job with awareness though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

This is where I differ slightly from everyone. I cant knock him for taking off the safety, he was in an unfamiliar area and several RED FLAGS were presented to anyone paying attention. He probably was anticipating a forcible felony of some kind. That additional fraction of a second could have meant his life, or the clerks. Thankfully nothing came of the situation, and thats what matters. Glad you got out safely with no harm done. My auto has no safeties whatesoever besides the 3 internal safeties, but I believe if I was carrying a 1911 I MIGHT (keyword: MIGHT) possibly take the safety off myself if I was anticipating some kind of forcible felony like Leadslinger experienced. I know safety off before draw or target aquisition is a general NO NO, however.. under severe stress people do strange things, like forget to disengage their safety, and thats exactly why mine has no manual safety. I know that posts following this one will chime with "Thats why you practice with the safety on in the first place, etc.." I dont disagree with that reasoning, but in the moment, he had reason to believe that he would need his firearm immediately should anything out of the ordinary happen. If the man had a gun he would definitely be an immenent threat.

Regardless, Congratulations on being as observative as you were. That time nothing came of it, but that may not always be the case. Never let your guard down, because that'll be the time Murphy will visit you.

S
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Lead Moderator
    My thought was the study someone posted a few months ago, regarding under stress even professionals unconsciously place their finger on the trigger.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links