Child At Your Door In The Middle Of The Night - Page 2

Child At Your Door In The Middle Of The Night

This is a discussion on Child At Your Door In The Middle Of The Night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes I would not consider estimating the BG's armament on the words of a scared child wise. Nor would I. I was ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Child At Your Door In The Middle Of The Night

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I would not consider estimating the BG's armament on the words of a scared child wise.
    Nor would I. I was basing it on the Kobayashi Maru scenario put forth by a moderator on a firearms forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I would not consider estimating the BG's armament on the words of a scared child wise.
    Agree, which is why I used the disclaimer... "Ideal." Neighbor's kids here know guns... but how trustworthy under stress..? And what did they actually see? Which is why I say the very best I could do... would be to try to limit their ability to escape uncaught... and I may not be able to do that...
    oneshot likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    First and foremost. Is the child alone? Is this a setup? Before the door opens I make sure. Now with that being said.

Kid inside protection provided. 911 called. Armor on, Rifle up take position of cover outside and wait and see.
    When LEO arrives assist and backup as needed or wanted.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Nor would I. I was basing it on the Kobayashi Maru scenario put forth by a moderator on a firearms forum.
    Personally, I find the value of the whole (Kobayashi Maru) concept suspect.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Well currently, I'm living with my parents, and my dad is perfectly capable of handling a gun (he was in the Navy and used to hunt, gave it up when he became a dad) so if I decided to lend a hand things would be covered on the home front. I know I'm not a police officer, but I would just have a hard time doing nothing while someone got killed. I know there are a thousand ways it could end very badly, but I don't think I could not act.
    OldVet likes this.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    We didn't have 911 until a few years ago. (Yep we're rural)

My neighbors who live about 1/4 away were having marriage issues and I could literally hear fights & screaming sometimes while I was inside my home. The two kids were friends of my childrens and I told them that if they ever got to scared at home they should come over to our house. (TG it never happened and the husband moved out in a couple of months.)

But, my plan was to bring the children inside my home & call the sheriff office. I was going to leave the kids with my wife & meet the deputies on the road that runs in front of our property. This way I could observe to see if anyone left the neighbors home while we waited for leo.

I grew up in an abusive household & we had to run to the neighbors on several occassions. I prayed that someone (ANYONE) whould step in and stop my stepfather from abusing us. But, nobody ever stepped in; and back then DV was not taken seriously like it is today. Thank GOD, neither of my stepfathers killed my mom. But, she did experience some bad beatings & extreme terror.

For this reason, I honestly do NOT think I could should sit & wait quietly if I thought my neighbor was killing his wife; especially, if the kids where crying & begging me to save their mom. (I'm just glad I never had to make that decision.)

-
    jag06 likes this.

VIP Member
    Like the majority have said, get the child in doors to safety and bolt the door and call 911. At that point My pistol would go in the holster as I retrieved my shotgun. Protection of myself and my family is my first concern. I'll feel bad for the child if his family dies, but my family would feel bad if I attempt to intervene and die.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Harvey Family of four murdered in home invasion, New Years Day 2006, Richmond, Va, It's believed the suspects were in the house when the older daughter was dropped off after an over night stay at a friends house, Mom stood in the doorway and waived to the other mom returning her child. Most likely threatened by the intruders of harm to her other daughter and husband. I cant' imagine having to make that decision, take one daughter and run knowing it would mean death for the other child and spouse vs. the hope that they might not kill everyone. This is exactly why I carry at home as well as out n about.

My point here is to suggest that saving the one you can is better than loosing everyone. Now it's my family's fight as much as it's theirs, I would have to ensure the safety of the one's that I know are safe rather then risk loosing everyone. I guess I'm in the take the child in and hunker down and call the cavalry group on this one.

If It were my child that made it to the neighbors house, I would want them to protect MY child rather than come after me and risk his safety any further.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Been there, done that. Mom, daughter banging on door at 3 am saying someone broke in and raped girl and other kids are still in house. I charged in with nothing more than a Maglight in hand while wife called 911. Maybe it's just me, but I think kids are worth defending no matter what. Bright side is that it was only a hoax by the girl who was having issues. All the cops said was, "Man, that wasn't smart, but good for you."
    jag06 and tcox4freedom like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    First and foremost. Is the child alone? Is this a setup? Before the door opens I make sure. Now with that being said.

Kid inside protection provided. 911 called. Armor on, Rifle up take position of cover outside and wait and see.
    When LEO arrives assist and backup as needed or wanted.
    My gut says this is what to do....

My heart says to do what glockman said he would do...Children often times cant defend themselves. In this scenario, im going for broke. I will help in anyway I can...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Take the child in call 911 watch for any motion activated perimeter lights to go off,since I sleep with a loaded 1911 and SA 12 gauge,give the wife the shotgun and put them in an interior room retrieve my CAR 15 from inside the closet with 60 rounds onboard,try to get as much info from child as possible to relay to first responders,check child for any injuries that may need bandaged,or direct pressure to stop bleeding
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It seems there is quite a consensus here that the best course of action is to stay inside and call 911. I'd like to point out some other things. For one thing, I would not dare run over there in my bathrobe or undressed. By the time I could get proper clothes and shoes on, the police would likely arrive since the police station is not far from my home. However, I can assure you once the information has been processed, I'd be getting dressed as quickly as possible. In fact, I always leave my clothes from the day before next to my bed in case I need to put them on in a hurry for such a situation. My wife finds this practice very irritating, even though I always throw them in the hamper the next morning when I get dressed with fresh clothes. I just figure it is much faster to grab the clothes in the floor than it is to run to my closet and pick out clothes.

I would point out that many of my family members live on the same street that I do. So that changes the perspective for me a little. Although none of them have small children except for me. But lets say my mother shows up at the door and is saying there are bad guys in their house and my father is still over there. Well, that being the case I'm going to have her or my wife run to the phone and call 911, I'm going to get dressed as quickly as humanly possible, and I'm going to grab my Glock 19, and head outside. My wife can hold the fort with her gun if somebody tries to come into our house while I'm out. If the police haven't arrived yet for whatever reason, I'm going to attempt to judge the situation, look through windows, etc.. If there is something I can do, I'm going to try.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    There is no way I would fort up and stay home. I live rural and LE time would be 30 minutes to 1 hour. I would take child in make sure my wife and child where in the safe room and armed. Then with light pistol, rifle and cell phone I would be off. I not just going to charge the house and door but I would go to do all I could think to do.

OP said BG with knife, if it was a husband wife dispute them I see about all one could do would be to try and keep them from killing each other and wait the hour. I know my neighbor if I see someone else with a knife and they mean to do harm them it is time for action. We live in an area and still in the time frame that we still care and help each other out. Its pretty much if you see something wrong you take care of it the same as if it was your own and then let them know when you see them next.

The billions that Obama wants for cops will not put a cop in my pocket so anything done around my house will just have to be done personally.
    Buckj and jag06 like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    While I would love to say I would go do the hero thing, I am in the camp of get the kid inside, call 911, go to the safe room, arm up and hunker down til the coast is clear. Depending on timing, clothes may be optional - PJs may just have to work.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Been there, done that. Mom, daughter banging on door at 3 am saying someone broke in and raped girl and other kids are still in house. I charged in with nothing more than a Maglight in hand while wife called 911. Maybe it's just me, but I think kids are worth defending no matter what. Bright side is that it was only a hoax by the girl who was having issues. All the cops said was, "Man, that wasn't smart, but good for you."
    If that was me I would right in front of the LEO's plant my foot right into her soft backside.

I too would be handing off spare gun to Mrs.HK calling 911, giving descripition of myself as I would be running over to see (a) if somebody was still inside or (b) helping the injuried.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links