Child At Your Door In The Middle Of The Night

This is a discussion on Child At Your Door In The Middle Of The Night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe I'm more cynical than most of you, but I'd hesitate to take the child into the house. Call 911, then stay with the child ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Child At Your Door In The Middle Of The Night

Maybe I'm more cynical than most of you, but I'd hesitate to take the child into the house.
    Call 911, then stay with the child on the porch until police arrive. Get more witnesses on your side,
    even if they are your family.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    If that was me I would right in front of the LEO's plant my foot right into her soft backside. I too would be handing off spare gun to Mrs.HK calling 911, giving descripition of myself as I would be running over to see (a) if somebody was still inside or (b) helping the injuried.
    And then--rightfully so--you get a free ride downtown. Like I said . . . the girl had problems and without going into her private issues, it was a cry for help.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    This thread has gotten under my skin. I don't know really what to think. I don't know what I would do.

I don't have a safe room; my wife wouldn't be able to protect the home with a gun on her own; I don't own a vest or a Saiga though both are on a wish list. So, from that perspective I'd have little choice but to stay put.

But, if I had a safe room, if my spouse knew how to use a gun to protect herself and the kid, if there were another gun-using capable adult in the house, if I had a vest and a combat capable shotgun, I couldn't live with myself for not attempting to intervene. Just the arrival on scene of an armed individual meaning business might be enough to break up the game and save a life or two.

Now, here's the caveat. I say the above from the perspective of an old goat. It doesn't much matter if I get killed in the process. Uncle will save some SS and lots of Medicare payments. A young man with family responsibilities should absolutely stay put. It sucks, but sometimes in real life the choices are very limited.
    Deuce130 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

It seems as most here are under the assumption that your house is next. That's interesting, because I would not have assumed that at all, given the scenario. In most rural settings, houses are pretty far apart. It would be pretty easy for the wife to watch from a window and ready for any approach.

It is interesting to see the different perspectives to a given scenario such as this. And I suppose it depends on the view point based on the way you see it according to where you live and the layout that you base it on.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Also, I would assume by your statements that your wife also carry's - or at a minimum is quite familiar with guns whereas mine is not very comfortable with them (working slowly on that).

I think it is only logical that, unless specifically stated otherwise, that posters will relate the/an incident to their living environment (rural, urban, etc), local response times and other pertinent factors.
    limatunes and Buckj like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I agree with Thunder71, in that my FIRST job, above all else is the protection of my wife. Everything else comes after that.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Maybe I'm more cynical than most of you, but I'd hesitate to take the child into the house.
    Call 911, then stay with the child on the porch until police arrive. Get more witnesses on your side,
    I'm very curious about why you would hesitate to take a scared 7-9 y/o child whom you know, dressed in nothing but pajamas into your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Interesting take on this? Hmmm?

Bring the kid in. Call 911, then grab the shotty and the rotts and head over to let the dogs in the house to get the party started.
    Harryball, Hopyard, jag06 and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Now, here's the caveat. I say the above from the perspective of an old goat. It doesn't much matter if I get killed in the process. Uncle will save some SS and lots of Medicare payments. A young man with family responsibilities should absolutely stay put. It sucks, but sometimes in real life the choices are very limited.
    Hopy makes an interesting point here. Aside from the appropriate training, I would judge one's response by their stage in life and responsibilities at that time. When I was young and single and responsible only for myself, I took more chances. I expect that there will come a time in life where I'm willing to take more chances again.

This goes back to my desire for our military to allow an 'old goat' reinstatement program. There would be nothing more terrifying on the battlefield.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Bring the kid in. Call 911, then grab the shotty and the rotts and head over to let the dogs in the house to get the party started.
    Amen, when babies are involved the gloves come off....
    gunsnroses and jag06 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Amen, when babies are involved the gloves come off....
    Exactly. My woman can handle herself. She can watch the kid with the AK and one of the rotties until the cavalry arrives.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Guys: We are not the police. We present a firearm when their is a presumption of imminent threat of death or bodily injury to us and our family. In SC, we do have an alter ego rule, which allows us to act on behalf of others who we presume are in imminent danger as if it were us. It is a rule that has many flaws and many ways that things can go horribly wrong. Being sure of what a child is telling us is not not being sure of anything. As others have said, your obligation is to yourself and your family. If you act and come across a situation that harms or kills you--your obligation to yourself and your family has been terribly violated. If you act and are terribly mistaken in what you presume, your obligation to yourself and your family has again been terribly violated. If you should be living in a rural area, where police presence is many minutes if not hours away--maybe you act--but I would think you had better be well-trained--even then you are NOT an LEO and truly have no authority.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Call 911, protect your family and the kid.

There might be more BGs, and just because the kid saw a knife does not mean that's all the weapons the BG(s) might have. Even LEOs won't go into a situation like that without proper back up.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links