Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murder near me/ it will be a long night

7K views 58 replies 41 participants last post by  Rabbit212 
#1 ·
I usually don't carry in the house, but maybe that is going to have to change.

22 years back we lived in a house not too far from where we are now. At the time, a brand new house was being built and their back yard adjoined ours.

I just read on the news that the man @ that house was murdered tonight, and his wife is in the hospital with severe injuries. Police have released few details. Police are searching for an Asian or Hispanic male who was wearing camo. Won't say if that is a witness or suspect or what. I think the "camo" on a main city street is an interesting bit of the unusual.

We don't live even a mile from where that happened. SOOOOO-- I just double checked all the doors, alarms, and am walking around with two guns on my person, extra magazines; a third gun strategically placed for quick reach--- it will be a long semi-sleepless night.

There is a silver lining. Maybe Mrs. H will now be more willing to go along with my
security precautions. She tends to belittle them. She didn't like it when I put the gun in my pocket, but then she has since read the news story and watched it on TV and she has shut up.

See less See more
#37 ·
Sorry to hear about a neighborhood becoming less safe. Unfortunately, "less safe" seems to be more common.

I am armed almost all the time at home, even though I live in a low crime neighborhood. However, there is always more crime than you know about in any neighborhood.

I have an outward opening sturdy door and a good view of who is there, so I can decide who to open it for. Someone mentioned Scouts. I have Boy Scouts come several times. Where I live, I know who they are and who their parents are, since Scouts is popular here.

Since we are out of town, Girl Scouts come rarely. It's been a few years. Salesman come rarely, as well. It doesn't pay to sell out where the houses are far apart.

I would be wary of someone in the dark of night claiming to be hurt, having heard many stories of this being a ruse.

#38 ·
ARREST MADE

An 18 yo. HS Senior. IDIOT!!!!

Capital murder charge because the homicide happened during a burglary.

Reactions: rolyat63
#40 ·
Fantastic that they caught the guy so quickly.

Makes you wonder how kids get to that state at such an early age.

#39 ·
Glad this case is solved, but this is a strong reminder to always be armed at home.

#43 ·
I deleted my post 41 because after reading the newspaper this morning I'm now somewhat uncertain if
the people who told me about the background of the accused knew what they were talking about.

In any case-- he was no poor kid. His dad per the newspaper is well known in town. As I stated in my prior post, the kid would not have lacked for material things.

Its interesting in matters like this how all the neighbors and folks you know claim to know things and then they turn out to be wrong.

Anyway, the whole business is truly tragic for all involved.

Initially I posted that the dead man had been beaten; that turned out wrong. He was it seems per the newsy stabbed and shot.

The dad is disclaiming ownership of the gun that was used.

#44 ·
A neighbor's dad was murdered - throat slit, nearly decapitated - 3 houses away from where I lived in Litchfield County (CT), in late '85. That was my "defining moment" about personal security and security around the home.

(The good part was that I got to testify in the trial of the 2nd dirtbag; the jury struggled to make deliberations last 45 minutes, and he's doing a life term in Somers.)

#46 ·
Thanks.

Well, no helicopters above helps with the sleep. But the situation is stomach turning and not just because of the horrific nature of the crime.

Excuse me for venting, but this has gotten to me.
The murder happened in the house behind one I lived in many years ago-- and the kid who is accused doesn't live far from me-- easy walking distance and it feels personal. It could have been my house picked at random.

The dead guy is my age. Feels personal.

The accused should have had a great future and never gone down the bad path he chose. By several accounts he was a good student taking advanced placement courses. Sickening outcome to a promising young life.

If I understand all the gossip and have distilled it correctly, he is an adopted kid in a great home; with parents very well able to have assured his success -- before this.

And, it turns my stomach to think about the heartache that he caused the victim's family, his parents, his siblings and school pals and teachers.

Barf.

#47 ·
Your reaction says you weren't thinking enough about your own personal security in your home. To be honest, most people don't give it much thought at all which has some very tragic possible outcomes.

The worst problems I've dealt with came from the rich, and unstable, kid that lived down the street. He threatened one of my neighbors with a rifle. He wasn't adopted. He was spoiled, and believed himself to be better than other people. I don't know if he did any hard drugs or not. I know he was in the crowd of jocks that used marijuana, and he was one of the hardest partyers. He drank like a fish.

My greatest concern for my personal safety, and for my family, came from people I knew and went to school with. I went to the "good" schools in my town too in what was rated one of the safest cities in the 90s.

I guess I grew up with a lot of good kids, but I also grew up with a few vicious ones that made me understand what kind of vicious exists out there. I had a good childhood, and I enjoy life now. I just don't ignore the violence that's out there. Nor do I let that knowledge grip me in fear.

#48 ·
Glad they caught the perp so quickly. When I'm home I'm armed. Can't at work. Wish I could get my wife to carry at home but that hasn't happened yet. However somebody said they use a neck holster for a 380. I'm gonna get one and try and get her to use it.

I'm a big proponent of extra door and window locks and motion detector security lights. Along with the dogs we've got an early warning system. And the door gets answered but not opened unless we know the person. Especially important if the wife is home alone.

#49 ·
I don't carry at home yet, but when CCW becomes legal here and I get my permit I will be carrying every moment when legal. Right now it would just be a pain to come home, put on my gun, then get a call or decide I need to leave and disarm, then come home and rearm...you get the idea. That doesn't mean that there isn't a gun within reach when I am home though.

#51 ·
Hoyard, I hear ya...

A lot of "personal" triggers... close the where you were, close enough to where you are, dead guy same age... It's those "personal triggers" that make antis "turn the corner." It's those same triggers that make us more aware of our own vulnerabilities. Decisions to carry all the time, even at home... To change our habits so that we only go where we can carry, legally. The feeling that it really can be any where, any time, any body.

So, we do what we can to improve our own feelings of security. You're doing that and the missus is coming aboard slowly. One foot in front of the other... and pretty soon you're where you need to be... rest easy, you're progressing down the right path...

Peace, brother

Through superior firepower or what ever else is necessary...

#52 ·
We had our own wake up call this week, when we learned that a friend's 23 year old daughter was raped, killed, and thrown in a dumpster in Maryland. Good kid, had just graduated last year. No details about what went down. Here in PA, you have to be 21 to buy a handgun, but a relative can transfer one to you upon your 18th birthday. All three of my kids have one ear-marked for them in my safe, and are regular range rats. I don't always carry at home, but once I do disarm I have something within arm's reach most of the time.

I grew up in a upper middle class neighborhood, in Westchester NY, and I started adding up all the bad stuff that has gone down relatively close to me. My dad was an LEO, so my situational awareness has always been relatively high. At 6 yrs old, I helped bust a pedophile who exposed himself on my quiet cul-de-sac. At 19, two of my friend's were stabbed in Virginia Beach outside a bar. A year later, another friend was shot during an attempted car-jacking in NYC. 5 years ago a childhood friend living in Westchester was shot in a home invasion and is paralyzed from the waist down.....his wife was killed. 4 years ago a convicted sex offender approached my 3 kids outside my home (on a 5 acre wooded lot, with my German Shepherd outside with them).

You can never let your guard down. Sad times, but at least most of the folks on this forum are prepared to deal with threats wherever they may occur. I'm hoping that all the close calls near to home and family will cease and desist....we've been through enough.

#53 ·
Update; hair raising!!!

Per our newsy today based on testimony at a bond hearing (denied), the kid picked his victims at random, and planned the murder for 2 months. He is alleged to have stated during his confession that he had an "instinct to kill."

As best I can understand it from the sketchy news reports, he hid in the garage. When the homeowner came out to close it, he stabbed him. He then went into the house and attempted to kill the wife by slitting her throat. Meanwhile the man in the garage tried to get up, slipped on his own blood, and the kid shot him.

He then went to a nearby park to change clothes, went home, and ate dinner.

The police allege he had a hit list which included his adoptive mother and his two sisters (reports aren't clear and are conflicting and it may have been two women not his sisters). He denies he had a hit list, but sadly the people he actually did kill were chosen entirely for no reason other than proximity to the nearby park.

#54 ·
Reminds me of the kid from Minnesota that shot the two different store clerks... Smilin' when they were takin' him to the courtroom in cuffs...

So many kids today on mood altering drugs for everything from depression, to ADD/ADHD... It's no wonder there aren't more of these... We don't always know the full effects of the drugs that are prescribed, and some folks don't tell the doc if they are experiencing some bad side effects, because the drugs make 'em feel so good otherwise.

It's a shame... glad you didn't make the hit list!

#58 ·
Perp arrested NINE YEARS AGO! (kid picking random victims) I think we can put this thread to rest!

Reactions: Rabbit212
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.