Murder near me/ it will be a long night

This is a discussion on Murder near me/ it will be a long night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That is terrible. But 9 times out of 10 the people know (in some way) the people that kill them. So it is more important ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Murder near me/ it will be a long night

That is terrible. But 9 times out of 10 the people know (in some way) the people that kill them. So it is more important to choose wisely who you associate with and who you don't than anything.

That said, I carry at home too.

2. Remove Ads

Hope they find the person responsible.

Sorry it took these goings on to get the Mrs. to come around, but better late than never.

As far as making the switch to carrying even when at home, it is pretty simple. If you put the gun on when you put your clothes on in the morning, and take it off when you take your clothes off at night before getting into bed, it will always be on you. I made that decision when I made the decision to start carrying.

One other thing that should be mentioned is that if you own your own home, there is no reason not to make sure you have very secure doors. Decent steel doors and storm doors that open to the outside go a long way to creating time for you to get ready and act if something goes bump or crash in the night when you are asleep and unarmed. You don't have to look like your live in a prison to have fairly secure doors on your home. Much piece of mind comes with taking the time to slow someone down who is intent on doing you or your family harm.

Stay safe.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Hope they find the person responsible.

Sorry it took these goings on to get the Mrs. to come around, but better late than never.

As far as making the switch to carrying even when at home, it is pretty simple. If you put the gun on when you put your clothes on in the morning, and take it off when you take your clothes off at night before getting into bed, it will always be on you. I made that decision when I made the decision to start carrying.

One other thing that should be mentioned is that if you own your own home, there is no reason not to make sure you have very secure doors. Decent steel doors and storm doors that open to the outside go a long way to creating time for you to get ready and act if something goes bump or crash in the night when you are asleep and unarmed. You don't have to look like your live in a prison to have fairly secure doors on your home. Much piece of mind comes with taking the time to slow someone down who is intent on doing you or your family harm.

Stay safe.
    My house is well secured, and though I have not kept guns on my person @ home they have been within fairly easy reach. Mrs H has no problems with guns being in the home. Still, some things will change with regard to being on my toes.

Meanwhile--- The police have released nothing, at least the news TV website hasn't said more.

HOWEVER-- I have my sources and one of them says the guy was beaten to death. [ADDED LATER-- Turned out to not be true; interesting how everyone claims to know stuff they don't and are happy to share BS.]

That info got to me kind of 2nd hand through my MA instructor, but the original source is almost certainly in the know as he is in LE.

To Smolck, the victims weren't people who would be involved with the wrong crowd or drugs. It looks
    like it was a random home invasion gone bad; but I don't know that. Regardless of what the police say or don't say, what the news TV folks say, my source is likely to be spot on.
    Last edited by Hopyard; October 22nd, 2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: accuracy of story, correct an error of fact
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Home invasions are really starting to bother me.

My daughter and her family live on a rather busy thoroughfare. She texted me yesterday about some guy that came to the door "investigating" the previous owner -- a guy who's been dead for several years now. I restated my advice to her for whenever she's home alone with the kids, and that is do not answer or open the door with anyone standing out there unless you know exactly who it is.

Arming her would probably scare me more than any potential BG ..... she's just not the type to be prepared to use something in self-defense, and I think that's my fault for not having a more aggressive stance when she was growing up.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Home invasions are really starting to bother me.

My daughter and her family live on a rather busy thoroughfare. She texted me yesterday about some guy that came to the door "investigating" the previous owner -- a guy who's been dead for several years now. I restated my advice to her for whenever she's home alone with the kids, and that is do not answer or open the door with anyone standing out there unless you know exactly who it is.
    The rule at our home is even simpler. Unless we know exactly who the caller is, or we arranged for someone to come to the house (a tradesman for example), we simply leave the caller on the doorstep until he/she decides to walk away. It doesn't matter if I'm home and armed, either. No one - me, wife, daughters, son-in-law, opens the door for anyone. Period.

There was a home invasion near us where a bleeding young man came to an older couple's door at night, and when they opened the door to help him, he attacked and nearly killed them. The wife was sexually assaulted as well.

We have left Boy Scouts, Girls Scouts, government census workers, poll takers, salesman, and all types standing there until they walk away. If someone shows up on the doorstep bleeding and begging for help, the rules stays. We call 911 for them from inside the locked house.

There is simply nothing good going to come of a stranger ringing your doorbell. Even the Publisher's Clearinghouse has stopped their doorbell ringing promotions. Tell your daughter to NEVER open her door unless they are well known to her personally, or she has scheduled the call. No exceptions.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I carry 24/7,If I got a choice I don't wanta be the dead guy everybody else is talking about,
    Yup,This is Correct!!.

Sorry to hear about a neighborhood becoming less safe. Unfortunately, "less safe" seems to be more common.

I am armed almost all the time at home, even though I live in a low crime neighborhood. However, there is always more crime than you know about in any neighborhood.

I have an outward opening sturdy door and a good view of who is there, so I can decide who to open it for. Someone mentioned Scouts. I have Boy Scouts come several times. Where I live, I know who they are and who their parents are, since Scouts is popular here.

Since we are out of town, Girl Scouts come rarely. It's been a few years. Salesman come rarely, as well. It doesn't pay to sell out where the houses are far apart.

I would be wary of someone in the dark of night claiming to be hurt, having heard many stories of this being a ruse.

VIP Member
    ARREST MADE

An 18 yo. HS Senior. IDIOT!!!!

Capital murder charge because the homicide happened during a burglary.
    rolyat63 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Glad this case is solved, but this is a strong reminder to always be armed at home.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    ARREST MADE

An 18 yo. HS Senior. IDIOT!!!!

Capital murder charge because the homicide happened during a burglary.
    Fantastic that they caught the guy so quickly.

Makes you wonder how kids get to that state at such an early age.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Be careful out there.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Glad to hear that this has been resolved. Continue to stay safe.

VIP Member
    I deleted my post 41 because after reading the newspaper this morning I'm now somewhat uncertain if
    the people who told me about the background of the accused knew what they were talking about.

In any case-- he was no poor kid. His dad per the newspaper is well known in town. As I stated in my prior post, the kid would not have lacked for material things.

Its interesting in matters like this how all the neighbors and folks you know claim to know things and then they turn out to be wrong.

Anyway, the whole business is truly tragic for all involved.

Initially I posted that the dead man had been beaten; that turned out wrong. He was it seems per the newsy stabbed and shot.

The dad is disclaiming ownership of the gun that was used.
    Andrew Jackson

A neighbor's dad was murdered - throat slit, nearly decapitated - 3 houses away from where I lived in Litchfield County (CT), in late '85. That was my "defining moment" about personal security and security around the home.

(The good part was that I got to testify in the trial of the 2nd dirtbag; the jury struggled to make deliberations last 45 minutes, and he's doing a life term in Somers.)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Regardless the manner of death, the ownership of the weapon, et al. I'm glad this is resolved and the murderer is behind bars. ought to make it easier for you to sleep, Hopyard.

Good.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links