Murder near me/ it will be a long night

This is a discussion on Murder near me/ it will be a long night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually don't carry in the house, but maybe that is going to have to change. 22 years back we lived in a house not ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Murder near me/ it will be a long night

VIP Member

I usually don't carry in the house, but maybe that is going to have to change.

22 years back we lived in a house not too far from where we are now. At the time, a brand new house was being built and their back yard adjoined ours.

I just read on the news that the man @ that house was murdered tonight, and his wife is in the hospital with severe injuries. Police have released few details. Police are searching for an Asian or Hispanic male who was wearing camo. Won't say if that is a witness or suspect or what. I think the "camo" on a main city street is an interesting bit of the unusual.

We don't live even a mile from where that happened. SOOOOO-- I just double checked all the doors, alarms, and am walking around with two guns on my person, extra magazines; a third gun strategically placed for quick reach--- it will be a long semi-sleepless night.

There is a silver lining. Maybe Mrs. H will now be more willing to go along with my
    security precautions. She tends to belittle them. She didn't like it when I put the gun in my pocket, but then she has since read the news story and watched it on TV and she has shut up.
    fragmatic likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Good luck, stay sharp. Maybe cooperation will improve from here on.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Agree with you and Mr. Guantes. Eyes wide shut.

When it happens in our own back yard we tend to pay attention...stay safe Hopyard!!

OD*
    Stay safe.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckj View Post
    When it happens in our own back yard we tend to pay attention...stay safe Hopyard!!
    Yup, and this is a darn nice neighborhood. It will be interesting to see what if anything the officials do in the morning as there is a public school right there and a public park--with plenty of hiding space across the street. They need to make sure that school is safe. The camo dress thingy is giving me the creeps.
    Buckj likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Home intrusions have been rising in Delaware. We rarely heard of them in the past. If I'm up I'm armed, if I'm not it's on the nightstand.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

This is not meant to be derogatory in the least, so please don't take it as such.

Most people when something happens "in their own back yard" so to speak, will be on the alert and up their security for about a week. Often times less than that. Then it's back to usual.

When I first starting to have my gun on my person all the time, even at home, I thought it was going to be hard. And for a while, I would be armed, and then I'd quit carrying in the house for a while, and then I'd carry at home again. On and off for a few months.

But I kept reading here on the forum of people being armed at home 24/7 and every week or so, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a week, we see the posts of the home invasions. Homeowners who successfully defended against home invasions and those who didn't or couldn't.

Finally I had enough and committed to carry at home, 24/7 and now, it's second nature. It's just no big deal. No reason to disarm when I come home for the day or otherwise.

Now one thing which makes it easier, no doubt is now that I have bought a Ruger LCP, there's absolutely no excuse not to have at least that in my pocket. I even bought a neck holster for times when I don't have any pockets like if I'm wearing sweats or gym shorts.

Now, when I'm out in public, my LCP is never my primary gun. Yeah, while the .380 would likely do the job, like so many others, I'm just not comfortable with seven .380 rounds as my primary defensive gun, but when I'm at home I always have at least that in my pocket.

So, I hope in a week or two, when things have settled down a bit, you're still committed to keeping a gun on you even when you are at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Yup, and this is a darn nice neighborhood.
    Remember, Dr. Petit of Cheshire, CT lived in a "darn nice neighborhood" too

When Horror Came to a Connecticut Family
    RETSUPT99, ppkheat, OD* and 4 others like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I carry 24/7,If I got a choice I don't wanta be the dead guy everybody else is talking about,
    garyacman likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sorry to hear that, and I hope everything turns out alright for you.

I would like to add that I have a firearm, a knife and a flashlight within arms reach of me 99% of the time. When I'm home, I usually have two firearms within arms reach, one being a carbine...
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

best wishes to you and yours Hopyard.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I treat my firearm just like my wallet. I wake up in the morning, I put my wallet in my pocket and my gun on my hip. When I turn in for the night, I do the reverse. That doesn't mean that I'll survive a home invasion, or assault, but I'd say, my chances are far better than if I was unarmed.

The one time my wife ever said anything regarding being armed at home, I used the "100% of home invasions happened at home" and it worked like a charm; she never said anything else.

Another saying that has merit IMO would be "anytime, anywhere".

I'd wear that thing legally 24/7, and I wouldn't give a hoot what anyone says. Being prepared IS NOT overrated.

Last edited by gottabkiddin; October 21st, 2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: too darn early for posting
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I've read about enough crime through these many threads, in print, and on the TV news...from the time I leave work (a high school), until I have to report back...I am armed 24/7. When I walk in the door, the safe gets opened to retrieve my firearm before I even take off my tie. We have a great neighborhood...but 'stuff happens' when and where you least expect it. My wife has fully accepted that practice.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Hop - just saw this thread. I hope you stayed safe and got a few winks. Hope they catch the POS. Hope the Ms. comes around.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Stay safe sir! I hope that your wife "gets it" from this point forward............
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links