Armed Mpls. citizen who said he killed robber attacking woman released

This is a discussion on Armed Mpls. citizen who said he killed robber attacking woman released within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The anti-carry people will portray us as whatever they like regardless of our actions. If he had shot the robber during the assault, they could/would ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Armed Mpls. citizen who said he killed robber attacking woman released

The anti-carry people will portray us as whatever they like regardless of our actions.

If he had shot the robber during the assault, they could/would still portray us a vigilantes.

CCW instructors rarely advocate getting involved in anything, even if within the law.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good for him. Kinda crazy of him but I'm glad it worked out.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Good for him. Kinda crazy of him but I'm glad it worked out.

+1, IMO he did good by stopping the assault, but personally, I wouldn't go chasing after the guy. IMO he got lucky, especially if the robber had a gun.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart60 View Post
    Hope for the best for the shooter. However, it gives more ammunition to the anti-carry people because now they can try to portray us as vigilantes. If he had shot the assailant at/during the assault, okay but chasing him after the fact really falls onto the police. My carry instructor talked about this and would give this a big no. That said, I hope he doesn't get charged with anything.
    Most instructors are not lawyers. My instructor imparted incorrect, potentially-fatal legal information and stood by it even when presented with the facts. That is one of the many reasons I went on to become an instructor myself.

Regardless of the law and regardless of whether there is a right to citizens arrest in your state, it is absolutely stupid to chase a BG.

Reason: If it turns out as this incident did, you are in big trouble just as this "hero" will be.

Look at it this way, cops are trained on how to stop a BG and how to take him into custody. Even so, hardly a day goes by that you don't read about a cop who is in big trouble because something unforeseen happened during the arrest.

Smart people know when to back off and leave the rest to the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    Smart people know when to back off and leave the rest to the cops.
    There is a fine line between smart and apathetic to a fellow human in need. And while I agree, if I witnessed a violent crime against the elderly or a woman I might be apt to give chase also. I cannot say, emotions are powerful things and make you do things you may not otherwise do.
    Mike1956 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    There is a fine line between smart and apathetic to a fellow human in need. And while I agree, if I witnessed a violent crime against the elderly or a woman I might be apt to give chase also. I cannot say, emotions are powerful things and make you do things you may not otherwise do.
    That is correct and that is why everyone should think about it and get their mind trained as to what to do and when to back off.

Those emotions can just as easily push you into shooting someone in the back or when they are down or whatever.

And as for being a hero, I doubt that a family is going to think their "hero" is much of that when they are out on the street because of the legal bills.

Trips to the courthouse are more than expensive and if you have attorneys on both sides who are adept at postponements, depositions, etc., those trips multiply like rabbits.

Especially if it becomes a civil matter.

CCW's and side arms are for personal protection. Go beyond that and you are at great risk.

I can't fault this man for coming to the aid of a woman being attacked by a low life. He went above and beyond in chasing the perp down to recover the woman's purse. As a bonus the low life pushed his luck and will now be a repeat offender never again.

Officers located another handgun believed to belong to the suspect near where the shooting occurred.

Andrew Rothman, a Twin Cities firearms trainer and vice president of the Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance, said Friday afternoon that if the events unfolded as the armed citizen described, "the permit holder acted appropriately. Chasing the mugger to recover the purse or to effect a citizen's arrest is permitted by law."

And, Rothman continued, if the suspect "then escalated by pointing and/or shooting at the good Samaritan, the good Samaritan would have been completely justified in shooting."
    That's the key to everything in a nutshell right there.

That's why the anti's call some vigilantes, but I call it an involved citizen.... at least if the BG pulled a gun, he was then prepared to defend himself and not be another victim.

Yep, have to decide how far to go and not go, depending upon the gravity of the situation. I don't know in this one, wasn't there to say. My inclination is that I wouldn't have chased the guy down... but, one never knows until we are in that particular situation, and I won't 2nd guess the guy on this one. Since the BG was armed, that may have played a part in it..... .
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

These types of decisions are up to the individual.

Were I to observe such a violent robbery with pistol whipping, albeit on a younger female victim, I would be on him like a bad smell on human waste.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The anti-carry people will portray us as whatever they like regardless of our actions.

If he had shot the robber during the assault, they could/would still portray us a vigilantes.

CCW instructors rarely advocate getting involved in anything, even if within the law.
    And if he had done nothing, he would have received the Swagler treatment from friend and foe alike.
    smolck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    And if he had done nothing, he would have received the Swagler treatment from friend and foe alike.
    When he ended the attack, he discharged his duty to protect the woman.

No problem, you get to make that decision for YOU.

VIP Member
    If it's an older lady I might chase the bad guy. If she were young and attractive I think I'd stop and render first aid. :)

ETA: Dear wife, if you read this I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry.... : )
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Rotflmao

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links