Murder/Home Invasion 2 Blocks from My House - Page 2

Murder/Home Invasion 2 Blocks from My House

This is a discussion on Murder/Home Invasion 2 Blocks from My House within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I became disabed I had no reason to stay in south florida and the crime rate was a factor in me and my wife ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Murder/Home Invasion 2 Blocks from My House

When I became disabed I had no reason to stay in south florida and the crime rate was a factor in me and my wife moving to Arkansas. The town we were living in was haveing an increasing number of home invasions including mine,that was the reason by the way that I started ccw in my home and still do to this day.
    prepare for the worst;Hope for the best

for the record

while I agree that crime in our cities is insane and we need to be able to protect ourselves, I wish you had chosen to be a bit more judicious about the details you shared in your original post. This man was my grandfather. Your post comes up when I do my daily search for news and updates regarding this case. Family members do not want to read your second-hand accounting of the scene details - the loss is bad enough, we really do not want play-by-play on what my grandpa suffered. Please consider how you might feel if a close family member died such a violent death - you would want never to have certain images in your mind, I promise you.

Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion.

Most always home invasions are in some way inside jobs. Kind of sounds like the perps were looking for something specific, and beat the poor man to death over a period of time getting him to give something up.

I try to look at this situation dispassionately (if thats even a word). IMO the time to have avoided this situation would have been in the initial entry. But as I say there may have been a friend, or family member in on it or inadvertently providing information.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a.shilliday View Post
    while I agree that crime in our cities is insane and we need to be able to protect ourselves, I wish you had chosen to be a bit more judicious about the details you shared in your original post. This man was my grandfather. Your post comes up when I do my daily search for news and updates regarding this case. Family members do not want to read your second-hand accounting of the scene details - the loss is bad enough, we really do not want play-by-play on what my grandpa suffered. Please consider how you might feel if a close family member died such a violent death - you would want never to have certain images in your mind, I promise you.

Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion.
    Deeply sorry you have had to endure all of this. Its got to be a severe nightmare for you and your family.

There is a silver lining of some good that comes from these awful events. As horrors like this are discussed, others learn to not be naive and to protect themselves.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Most always home invasions are in some way inside jobs. Kind of sounds like the perps were looking for something specific, and beat the poor man to death over a period of time getting him to give something up.

I try to look at this situation dispassionately (if thats even a word). IMO the time to have avoided this situation would have been in the initial entry. But as I say there may have been a friend, or family member in on it or inadvertently providing information.
    For what it's worth, this was NOT an 'inside job' as you suggest. As a family member I do not feel like disclosing the details the police have shared with us to complete strangers but it was certainly not a 'friend or family member' involved.

I really hope you find it in your heart and source of courage to bring ANY information you may have to the police. They have a suspicion but have not made an arrest yet. Our family will have no peace until justice is served, so if you have any item that might be useful and lead to an arrest ...

a.shilliday, I would like to express my sympathy's to you and your family. I recently lost my grandmother to cancer in August so I know what its like to loose a grandparent. I would like to say from reading the OP's post, I don't see it as a play by play of events. He only mentioned in about 3 sentences what happened based on what police and neighbors who were at the scene told him. This website and this section of the website is for people to discuss these types of events that happen in order to better prepare ourselves in how to defend against attacks and dangers like this. If we decided that since every victim of every crime is a father/mom/son/daughter/grandmother/grandfather and it is insensitive to discuss their attack, than none of us would be able to learn how to better prepare ourselves.

Against I want to express my deepest sympathies to you and your family and while I do not know exactly what your family is going through, I have a close idea. I hope they catch the scumbags that did this and bring them to justice.
    a.shilliday likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    a.shilliday: May God grant you and your family peace and comfort as you come to grips with this terrible crime. And may He also grant the police wisdom and skill to catch the killer and bring them to justice.
    Hopyard, jag06 and a.shilliday like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I really hope you find it in your heart and source of courage to bring ANY information you may have to the police. They have a suspicion but have not made an arrest yet. Our family will have no peace until justice is served, so if you have any item that might be useful and lead to an arrest ...
    Jesus, I'll edit it any way you'd like. I tried to be gentle about it but also wanted to be clear how things actually happen and the type of people out there. I've spoken to the police a couple times with the info I have, which includes a license plate number of the people that came after me, two blocks down Waverly. Doubtful of any relation, but you never know.

I wish nothing but peace and immediate justice with what you've all suffered.

Edit - I can't edit my original post, so if a mod could remove any of the specifics of the attack, that would be appreciated. Maybe remove the victims name and specific address as well so it doesn't come up in a search. Thanks.

When entering his name, this thread comes up as the top three... A removal of his name and address may be helpful.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jag06 View Post
    This website and this section of the website is for people to discuss these types of events that happen in order to better prepare ourselves in how to defend against attacks and dangers like this. If we decided that since every victim of every crime is a father/mom/son/daughter/grandmother/grandfather and it is insensitive to discuss their attack, than none of us would be able to learn how to better prepare ourselves.
    Thank you for this. I think my nerves are just a shade raw - and knowing what the purpose of the site is helps a little. I am sorry if it seemed as if I snapped at anyone. I will tell you though, this situation was a result of my grandpa's kind heart. He would give anyone anything they said they needed. What we suspect happened (and we have good reason to do so) is that he extended his typical kindness to someone untrustworthy and when he finally put his foot down they came after him. Horrible thing to do to anyone - and certainly NOT how I'd like to think we treat our WWII veterans.

thank you so much for your kindness and sensitivity to our situation at this time. I appreciate that as neighbors we need to know what's out there and how to defend ourselves, and I'm probably just a bit thin-skinned right now. I prefer to remember my grandpa by the images we have - not by the graphic details of his violent and senseless end, although your comments were relatively mild.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Thank you for this. I think my nerves are just a shade raw - and knowing what the purpose of the site is helps a little. I am sorry if it seemed as if I snapped at anyone. I will tell you though, this situation was a result of my grandpa's kind heart. He would give anyone anything they said they needed. What we suspect happened (and we have good reason to do so) is that he extended his typical kindness to someone untrustworthy and when he finally put his foot down they came after him. Horrible thing to do to anyone - and certainly NOT how I'd like to think we treat our WWII veterans.
    Your welcome! I was actually worried after I posted that I might have crossed the line and might have inadvertently offended you. I was worried I might not have got my point across that we were trying to learn from what happened and not trying to degrade your grandfathers memory or anything like that. I was worried I might have come across like I was snapping at you. Glad you saw what I was trying to get across, I don't always make it as clear as I should.

It sounds like you had a great grandfather and he sounds like someone I would have enjoyed meeting. I have military history in my family and always enjoyed talking with them about their time in service. It truly is a heartbreaking to hear what happened to him and no punishment we can give to the scumbags will ever be enough to make them pay for what they did. Please feel free to ask us for any help here, I know most of the people here would be willing to help in anyway we can.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links