real life scenario, how'd I do? - Page 2

real life scenario, how'd I do?

This is a discussion on real life scenario, how'd I do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Maxwell47 One question for MadMac: How big was that FREAKIN' SNAKE?!?!?!?!?! Black snakes are harmless, but they can grow quite large. They ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: real life scenario, how'd I do?

  1. #16
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    One question for MadMac: How big was that FREAKIN' SNAKE?!?!?!?!?!
    Black snakes are harmless, but they can grow quite large. They seem to like snuggling up to houses, barns, and out-buildings.



  2. #17
    EdC
    EdC is offline
    Member Array EdC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Speedway, Indiana
    Posts
    245
    You did good. I also think that you might be making a lot of runs from work out to your house in the future every time a critter sets off your driveway light. Any way to adjust the sensitivity? Just a thought.

  3. #18
    Member Array SigHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Natural State
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    I think if you were involved in a shooting they may claim that you obviously weren't too afraid or threatened of great bodily harm by pursuing the possible aggressor.
    ^^^Is this guy serious? I mean, "they" can claim anything, like "Your Honor, I thought I was at my own house, but my key wouldn't work, so I had to break the window to get in, and then I realized that someone had stolen all my stuff and replaced it with their stuff, so i started putting it all in this pillow case, and then this gun nut comes out of the bedroom and shoots me!"

    Point is, you have every right to defend and secure your own property.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

  4. #19
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by SigHawk View Post
    ^^^Is this guy serious? I mean, "they" can claim anything, like "Your Honor, I thought I was at my own house, but my key wouldn't work, so I had to break the window to get in, and then I realized that someone had stolen all my stuff and replaced it with their stuff, so i started putting it all in this pillow case, and then this gun nut comes out of the bedroom and shoots me!"

    Point is, you have every right to defend and secure your own property.
    That's technically not true for many states. I believe Texas is the one and only state that allows you to use deadly force to protect your property.

    If I come home and surprise a burglar who is walking down my driveway with my flat screen, I cannot legally use deadly force to keep him from leaving with my TV (in my home state).

    Personally, my wife and I have discussed this, and we cannot morally justify killing another human being simply to keep our insured property from being pilfered. If we hear a crash downstairs in the night, we will call 911 from behind our locked bedroom door. If an intruder attempts to breach the door, we'll send all kinds of lead through that door. That's our decision. YMMV.

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array TedBeau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bay City
    Posts
    2,296
    Yes technically in Michigan we cannot use deadly force to protect property, however if you grab a hold of the TV and he tries to hit you to let go then he's threating you. If he doesn't hit you but tries to stuff the TV with you attached into his van, then he is attempting to kidnap you. Your life would be in jeopardy.

  6. #21
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,752
    The driveway sensors I have are fairly stable but they will give a false alert now and again. Check the battery on the sending unit because sometimes (at least on mine) false alerts seem to be low battery warnings. Almost anything can set them off.

    I think both of you over-reacted to what you should have realized was likely a false alert. Of course, I say that without knowing what you are using and how reliable it is. I know there are some excellent dual sensor units which won't signal unless they get both IR motion and ultra-sound detection. If you don't have a dual unit outside, expect false alerts.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

  7. #22
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,752
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Black snakes are harmless, but they can grow quite large. They seem to like snuggling up to houses, barns, and out-buildings.

    Yes, you have to either take the false alerts and mostly ignore them or use expensive sensors. Or, set up some arrays so that you ignore a single alert but respond to two simultaneous alerts.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

  8. #23
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Yes technically in Michigan we cannot use deadly force to protect property, however if you grab a hold of the TV and he tries to hit you to let go then he's threating you. If he doesn't hit you but tries to stuff the TV with you attached into his van, then he is attempting to kidnap you. Your life would be in jeopardy.
    Many people here amaze me - always looking for some excuse, however flimsy, to yank out the firearm and drop someone.

    Why in the name of all that's holy would I want to wrestle with a burglar over anything? if I find someone trying to flee my property with some of my property, I am certainly not going to offer myself up as a wrestling partner. Get to a safe place, let 'em go, get all the details you can, and call the cops to do their job. I'm not going to risk my life or freedom to save an insured piece of junk. If I shoot them, I am also risking my life and freedom in a court of law. How foolish.

    I carry a gun to remain safe, not to look for reasons to be foolhardy.
    Hopyard, jace33 and Rockymonster like this.

  9. #24
    Member Array SigHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Natural State
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    That's technically not true for many states. I believe Texas is the one and only state that allows you to use deadly force to protect your property.

    If I come home and surprise a burglar who is walking down my driveway with my flat screen, I cannot legally use deadly force to keep him from leaving with my TV (in my home state).

    Personally, my wife and I have discussed this, and we cannot morally justify killing another human being simply to keep our insured property from being pilfered. If we hear a crash downstairs in the night, we will call 911 from behind our locked bedroom door. If an intruder attempts to breach the door, we'll send all kinds of lead through that door. That's our decision. YMMV.
    I absolutely agree. I didn't say you necessarily have a right to use deadly force to protect your property. As you said, it depends on state laws. I was just responding to the post that said you could get into trouble if you were involved in a shooting while searching your own property for an intruder. This implies that if you search your own property, then you must not be afraid for your life, and therefore no shooting could be justified. I strongly disagree.

    Maybe I find the intruder, and he is not a threat. I call the police, and they take him away. But if I find the intruder, he pulls a knife on me, and I shoot him, I would be justified. The fact that I was searching my property for the intruder does not take away my right to defend myself.

    By the way, I would NOT use deadly force to prevent a theft, even if legal in my state.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

  10. #25
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    SigHawk,

    I agree with you. The words you used in the earlier post weren't clear. My wife and I are also not going to use deadly force to prevent a theft. We have been burgled before, and I know how violated one feels. But, I'm not killing someone over property. That's just how I roll.

  11. #26
    Member Array odeaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    If we hear a crash downstairs in the night, we will call 911 from behind our locked bedroom door. If an intruder attempts to breach the door, we'll send all kinds of lead through that door. That's our decision. YMMV.
    Seriously??? If an intruder is downstairs, then they already breached the door. Would you have the intruder breach two doors in order to justify “all kinds of lead through that (second) door”? They could be armed or unarmed – you don’t know. I understand if they were leaving with your stuff, shooting them in the back would cost you your freedom - I get that. I’m not just going to let them sift through my stuff while I hid thinking that if his hands are full with loot then he must not be a threat.
    I understand that I would not want to draw my pistol & shoot unless I feared for my life (as if I didn't, I might die or be gravely injured).
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

  12. #27
    Guest Array Guest1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    home-astan(FINALLY)
    Posts
    1,125
    When seconds count,the Police are only minutes away!
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Thank god for castle doctrine laws that allow you to stand your ground and defend yourself on your own property huh?

    he should have called the PD so they could have hurriedly done a quick inspection then told him to call them if they had any further problems right? Feel good. Call the police. Feel good. Conditioning.

  13. #28
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by odeaar View Post
    Seriously??? If an intruder is downstairs, then they already breached the door. Would you have the intruder breach two doors in order to justify “all kinds of lead through that (second) door”? They could be armed or unarmed – you don’t know. I understand if they were leaving with your stuff, shooting them in the back would cost you your freedom - I get that. I’m not just going to let them sift through my stuff while I hid thinking that if his hands are full with loot then he must not be a threat.
    I understand that I would not want to draw my pistol & shoot unless I feared for my life (as if I didn't, I might die or be gravely injured).
    We have a big house. Yup - an intruder could be armed to the teeth for all we know. We're still not going to try to hunt him down in a dark house and try to shoot him over insured stuff. I'll hole up in a room where I hold all the cards.

    I'm not trying to justify anything. I simply want to minimize our personal risk.

  14. #29
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,503
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Many people here amaze me - always looking for some excuse, however flimsy, to yank out the firearm and drop someone.

    Why in the name of all that's holy would I want to wrestle with a burglar over anything? if I find someone trying to flee my property with some of my property, I am certainly not going to offer myself up as a wrestling partner. Get to a safe place, let 'em go, get all the details you can, and call the cops to do their job. I'm not going to risk my life or freedom to save an insured piece of junk. If I shoot them, I am also risking my life and freedom in a court of law. How foolish.

    I carry a gun to remain safe, not to look for reasons to be foolhardy.
    Awww, c'mon, you got "the power", power ranger! Why not...?

    As to him breaching one door and then another... What if it's them, instead of him? You gonna go clear your house, Maverick? You come down the stairs, with your tac light in one hand, your 1911 in the other... you see the guy in the living room, "Freeze! Put the stuff down!" BANG! His buddy was in the kitchen, and as soon as you yelled, he shot you.

    There are choke points in every home.... maybe the top of the stairs... maybe the hallway. Okay to use them... maybe. But to leave the choke points behind you? Not gonna happen in my house... the last choke point is my bedroom door... You come through that, you're fit for hamburger. And if I really believe there's bad stuff happening in the front of the house, I ain't leaving the bedroom. I got 911 on the phone and I'm armed and waiting for the sheriff. $1000 deductible is chump change... That's the cost of an ambulance ride alone if I've been shot. The property is replaceable.
    MadMac likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  15. #30
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,129
    Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    I think if you were involved in a shooting they may claim that you obviously weren't too afraid or threatened of great bodily harm by pursuing the possible aggressor.
    That is just total crap.

    To the OP, I think you did fine. And to anyone who thinks they should have just automatically called the Sheriffs office to investigate:
    A. The SO most likely would have told them they can't come running every time something sets the drive way sensor off.
    B. If everyone called the cops every time something like that happened the cops wouldn't have time to do anything BUT go from house to house checking things out.

    The OP had a right to check his own property out and he did so. And I think he and his wife/GF did a good job. She knew the plan and she adhered to it. Everything worked out.
    Buckj and Tally XD like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

real life firehouse discipline scenarios

,

water moccasin

,

water moccasin snakes

,

what to do life senerios

Click on a term to search for related topics.